Colorado group wants to ban sale of smartphones to young kids

Penner

Re: Colorado group wants to ban sale of smartphones to young kids

Post by Penner » Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:33 pm

I feel like that the younger kids always has benefited from staying away from as many screens as possible. Too much screen time can lead to issues (or this is what I believe) plus, why the hell do you need to give your kid a smartphone at age 8 or even 10? If you want something that you can call them and vice verse I guess give them an unlimited access to the internet isn't a good option- give them instead one of these:

Tablets are fine if there is on access to checking/saving accounts and also phone numbers. IF you can monitor your kid's activity then good for you but we all know that some people don't do that and/or kids will try to hide everything from their parents as well...

jbird4049

Post by jbird4049 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:59 am

Penner wrote:I feel like that the younger kids always has benefited from staying away from as many screens as possible. Too much screen time can lead to issues (or this is what I believe) plus, why the hell do you need to give your kid a smartphone at age 8 or even 10? If you want something that you can call them and vice verse I guess give them an unlimited access to the internet isn't a good option- give them instead one of these:

Tablets are fine if there is on access to checking/saving accounts and also phone numbers. IF you can monitor your kid's activity then good for you but we all know that some people don't do that and/or kids will try to hide everything from their parents as well...
I think having smart phones at eight might be a problem, but I also think children should be sooner than later to be trusted to do thing. Some won't, some will trip, but that's what children do. Keeping them in bubble wrap or not giving them enough trust and space to learn to safe, or even how to make mistakes is no good.
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

GloryofGreece

Post by GloryofGreece » Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:19 am

Its actually not a bad thing.. Phones/tablets/etc. are distractions at school, cause fights, and stupid kids break them all the time causing bullshit. Let them play at home if their parents want them to so be it.
The good, the true, & the beautiful

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:40 am

Agree that at this point, any additional nanny statism must be resisted, none the less, there's toddlers with smart phones now, which is creepy, not judging, but still, that's creepy. It's none of my business, but I look at that and wonder if the parents are just allowing it because everybody else is doing it, fearing that their kids will fall behind somehow if they didn't just let them have it, when in fact, it's probably going to be the ones who stay away from that trap, who end up being the highly sought after superstars someday, because they actually did something other than become flabby mush brained phone junkies when they were still in diapers.

By the time the kid is 13, it's way too late by then, people are giving their kids phones when they're 3 now, by the time is 13, if you don't sell him the phone he'll just steal it, cause he's gotta have his fix.
Nec Aspera Terrent

Hanarchy Montanarchy

Post by Hanarchy Montanarchy » Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:51 am

Nah... get everyone jacked in and reliant on their glowing pleasure cubes, because if this ish ever goes for real tits-up, a Morlock such as myself is really going to benefit from an endless supply of Eloi to hunt.

Super time for the Luddites baby!
HAIL!

Her needs America so they won't just take his shit away like in some pussy non gun totting countries can happen.
-Hwen

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:56 am

Well tell you what, my neighbors, they're scientists, and whatever sciency shit they're doing, they're clearly getting paid a lot of money to do it, and their kid; nothing, no phone, no tablet, not even a computer, and she's already like a super prodigy, speaks four languages, running her own experiments n' shit, the other day she was telling me all about the company she's going to start, and she's six.
Nec Aspera Terrent

Hanarchy Montanarchy

Post by Hanarchy Montanarchy » Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:04 am

You should steal her business idea and teach the little rug rat a valuable lesson in proprietary information and copyright law.

NOT SO SMART NOW HUH!?
HAIL!

Her needs America so they won't just take his shit away like in some pussy non gun totting countries can happen.
-Hwen

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:10 am

Hanarchy Montanarchy wrote:You should steal her business idea and teach the little rug rat a valuable lesson in proprietary information and copyright law.

NOT SO SMART NOW HUH!?
Well, it wasn't that good an idea, she is six after all, but just the fact that she's already at that age thinking along those lines, she's probably gonna end up being one of these Marty Hash types, in the owned her first company/made her first million club.

Me, I'm plenty blown away enough, just that she's speaks English, French, Russian, and German.
Nec Aspera Terrent

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:17 am

I told her she should be a spy, but they're Russians, so mom and dad were like "no, no, no, that's a dangerous job..."
Nec Aspera Terrent

Ex-California

Post by Ex-California » Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:19 am

I agree with the concept but there's no reason for this to be in the hands of the state
No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session