Minn. officer acquitted in shooting of Philando Castile

MilSpecs

Re: Minn. officer acquitted in shooting of Philando Castile

Post by MilSpecs » Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:40 pm

brewster wrote:The median salary for the state’s 20,525 municipal officers was $90,672 last year, meaning half earned more and half earned less.

• A total of 6,198 municipal officers made at least $100,000 last year. Ninety-nine of 466 towns that pay police have six-figure median salaries. Most are in North Jersey, primarily Bergen County.
This is a lot bigger than just salary. Our force averaged over $120,000 five years ago. They're all going to retire around the same time period. It is not possible to both hire their replacements and pay those pensions and benefits. Consolidation will be forced. It won't affect you as much, but it will change everything in Morris/Somerset/Hunterdon/Mercer, etc.
:royalty-queen:

jbird4049

Post by jbird4049 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:31 pm

C-Mag wrote:
jbird4049 wrote:

But their right to go home at night is more important than the lives of their fellow Americans, never mind such lefty crap as to protect and serve.
It's not a left or right thing. One of the primary responsibilities of the Government is security of citizens.
Yeah, good point. Maybe I should have worshiper of the police?
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

de officiis

Post by de officiis » Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:53 pm

C-Mag wrote:The shooting was quite legal. It probably shouldn't have been.

All the shootings like we've had recently likely would not have happened with better training. The LEO Acadamies are creating most of this shit, and I'm here to tell you we are only seeing the early stages of this.

Fix the training and you fix the problem, that simple.

I would add that cops need to quit whining about not knowing if they are coming home at night. To brewsters point. These cops chose this job..... What n the hell happened to PROTECT AND SERVE
Another thing they could do is set up a national database of bad cops so when one of them shows up in a new state looking for a job, then can see right away what happened before. They do this with doctors; maybe they need to consider doing it with cops, too.

brewster

Post by brewster » Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:28 pm

MilSpecs wrote:
brewster wrote:The median salary for the state’s 20,525 municipal officers was $90,672 last year, meaning half earned more and half earned less.

• A total of 6,198 municipal officers made at least $100,000 last year. Ninety-nine of 466 towns that pay police have six-figure median salaries. Most are in North Jersey, primarily Bergen County.
This is a lot bigger than just salary. Our force averaged over $120,000 five years ago. They're all going to retire around the same time period. It is not possible to both hire their replacements and pay those pensions and benefits. Consolidation will be forced. It won't affect you as much, but it will change everything in Morris/Somerset/Hunterdon/Mercer, etc.
The politicians of both parties that gave away the future to get elected really fucked us all. What's notable in NJ is the safest burbs are the ones paying the most. I don't know about all of NJ, but a lot of places are overpoliced. Hoboken is a classic example of a runaway PD in a mile sq affluent city. JCPD always whine about being understaffed, it's their universal excuse for any lack of enforcement, but if you place them per capita against the NYPD minus all the special details they come pretty close.
We are only accustomed to dealing with like twenty online personas at a time so when we only have about ten people some people have to be strawmanned in order to advance our same relative go nowhere nonsense positions. -TheReal_ND

MilSpecs

Post by MilSpecs » Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:11 pm

brewster wrote:The politicians of both parties that gave away the future to get elected really fucked us all. What's notable in NJ is the safest burbs are the ones paying the most. I don't know about all of NJ, but a lot of places are overpoliced. Hoboken is a classic example of a runaway PD in a mile sq affluent city. JCPD always whine about being understaffed, it's their universal excuse for any lack of enforcement, but if you place them per capita against the NYPD minus all the special details they come pretty close.
All true. I spent the last 17 years in a 1 mile square town that was heavily policed. Zero crime rate. The chief makes the argument that we have a zero crime rate because we're heavily policed. I understand that we get what we pay for, but one of the best things the hated Christie did was to cap property taxes at a 2% increase yearly, and then prevent catastrophe by capping arbitration awards at a 2% increase yearly. Bold move and very, very necessary. It was worth everything else we had to put up with.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:12 pm

MilSpecs wrote:
brewster wrote:The politicians of both parties that gave away the future to get elected really fucked us all. What's notable in NJ is the safest burbs are the ones paying the most. I don't know about all of NJ, but a lot of places are overpoliced. Hoboken is a classic example of a runaway PD in a mile sq affluent city. JCPD always whine about being understaffed, it's their universal excuse for any lack of enforcement, but if you place them per capita against the NYPD minus all the special details they come pretty close.
All true. I spent the last 17 years in a 1 mile square town that was heavily policed. Zero crime rate. The chief makes the argument that we have a zero crime rate because we're heavily policed. I understand that we get what we pay for, but one of the best things the hated Christie did was to cap property taxes at a 2% increase yearly, and then prevent catastrophe by capping arbitration awards at a 2% increase yearly. Bold move and very, very necessary. It was worth everything else we had to put up with.

What's the demographic makeup of the low-crime area?

MilSpecs

Post by MilSpecs » Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:17 pm

Divided between affluent and middle class, with a scattering of wealthy. More college educated than not. Even the age ranges are varied, although we tend to lose our twenty-somethings to the cities.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:26 pm

MilSpecs wrote:Divided between affluent and middle class, with a scattering of wealthy. More college educated than not. Even the age ranges are varied, although we tend to lose our twenty-somethings to the cities.

Racial demographic.

It sounds like this police chief is scamming you. Most of the crime does not come from middle class whites. So if the township is mostly middle class whites, crime will be very low compared to some other areas no matter what you do.

People often don't want to admit it or even talk about it, but the FBI stats are pretty clear about where most of the crime comes from. Poverty is second fiddle to that. In remote Appalachia, for example, poverty is extreme compared to what you might see in New Jersey. Crime is high, but it's mostly crime like cooking meth or moonshine, not as much robberies and murder. Those things are there too, but not anything like what happens in the cities.

Then you have townships like Ferguson that simply feed on the minority population like vampires. I have a rather low opinion of what our police forces have become these days. They are mostly a racket. They will fuck with stats all day to make themselves seem more valuable than they are.

MilSpecs

Post by MilSpecs » Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:41 pm

Racial demographics don't mean that much when you reach a certain level of affluence. Two people who both make $200,000 a year and live similar lifestyles will have more in common with each other, regardless of differing races, than they will with someone making $40,000 a year of the same race. That said, our police give us a level of service that is probably unheard of elsewhere. I rarely interacted with them outside of the professional venue, but they are very quick to respond to any call and have a really high level of customer service. For example, a nuisance bear was hanging out between my yard and my neighbor's yard and I knew the elderly grandmother was home alone and likely to go out back in the dark and come face-to-face with the bear. I couldn't get past the damn bear to get to her door, so I called the cops. Two minutes later, a cop was in my backyard with rubber bullets to scare the bear away. All night long I saw the lights while they patrolled the back road to make sure nuisance bear hadn't come back. Most cops have better things to do than make sure bears and citizens don't accidentally run into each other, but here the citizenry comes first. We pay high taxes and they strive to make sure those taxes get us the best possible service/handholding. And this happens in small towns just like mine all over NJ, and as Brewster said, these are the highest paid forces.

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:41 pm

Martin Hash wrote:The Religion of Force is no less ridiculous applied to police officers than it is to soldiers. It's a fucking job that almost anyone can fill, just not the people who want to do it.
That's patently false.

It is a job where, on a daily basis, you can expect to encounter situations that the vast majority of people never encounter.

Anyone can put out a fire. We're getting rid of the fire department. If you see a fire, put it out. I'll be in my office.

:roll:
GrumpyCatFace wrote:Dumb slut partied too hard and woke up in a weird house. Ran out the door, weeping for her failed life choices, concerned townsfolk notes her appearance and alerted the fuzz.

viewtopic.php?p=60751#p60751