Minn. officer acquitted in shooting of Philando Castile

Okeefenokee

Re: Minn. officer acquitted in shooting of Philando Castile

Post by Okeefenokee » Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:48 pm

brewster wrote:
Speaker to Animals wrote: Negative. The pay for cops is commensurate with somebody who has an associates degree and takes some risks on the job. About 50k outside the cities (at most) for entry level.
Please document that statement. Also, in my experience, entry pay for police is deceptively low and not a benchmark for comparisons to any other industry. You must use median, or at least 5 year.
The average salary for a Police Officer in Thomaston, GA is $49,578. That is 6.5% lower than the national median salary of $53,043. Salary
estimates are based on Police Officer salaries submitted anonymously to Glassdoor by employees in Thomaston, GA.
https://www.glassdoor.com/Salaries/thom ... O10,24.htm
GrumpyCatFace wrote:Dumb slut partied too hard and woke up in a weird house. Ran out the door, weeping for her failed life choices, concerned townsfolk notes her appearance and alerted the fuzz.

viewtopic.php?p=60751#p60751

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:26 pm

Everybody thinks what they do is so fucking special.
Shamedia, Shamdemic, Shamucation, Shamlection, Shamconomy & Shamate Change

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:28 pm

Martin Hash wrote:Everybody thinks what they do is so fucking special.
get out there and issue some citations, gomer.

anyone can do it.
GrumpyCatFace wrote:Dumb slut partied too hard and woke up in a weird house. Ran out the door, weeping for her failed life choices, concerned townsfolk notes her appearance and alerted the fuzz.

brewster

Post by brewster » Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:30 pm

MilSpecs wrote:Racial demographics don't mean that much when you reach a certain level of affluence. Two people who both make $200,000 a year and live similar lifestyles will have more in common with each other, regardless of differing races, than they will with someone making $40,000 a year of the same race.
Bravo!! The truth about race is that it's actually all about class.
MilSpecs wrote: Most cops have better things to do than make sure bears and citizens don't accidentally run into each other,
Possibly cops not in an affluent NJ exurb. They were thrilled to have something to do that they didn't have to create themselves. What StA puts aside in his idea to bid up the job till you get smart people, is that smart people don't want a job that's mind numbingly boring in most places. I'm sure we've all heard the stories of guys who get their application rejected for being too bright.

Honest question: would our constabularies be better or worse if we required applicants to be active service veterans. I can think of arguments both ways, but that doesn't mean they have equal weight.
We are only accustomed to dealing with like twenty online personas at a time so when we only have about ten people some people have to be strawmanned in order to advance our same relative go nowhere nonsense positions. -TheReal_ND

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:37 pm

brewster wrote:
MilSpecs wrote:Racial demographics don't mean that much when you reach a certain level of affluence. Two people who both make $200,000 a year and live similar lifestyles will have more in common with each other, regardless of differing races, than they will with someone making $40,000 a year of the same race.
Bravo!! The truth about race is that it's actually all about class.
MilSpecs wrote: Most cops have better things to do than make sure bears and citizens don't accidentally run into each other,
Possibly cops not in an affluent NJ exurb. They were thrilled to have something to do that they didn't have to create themselves. What StA puts aside in his idea to bid up the job till you get smart people, is that smart people don't want a job that's mind numbingly boring in most places. I'm sure we've all heard the stories of guys who get their application rejected for being too bright.

Honest question: would our constabularies be better or worse if we required applicants to be active service veterans. I can think of arguments both ways, but that doesn't mean they have equal weight.
they have hiring preference already. i've heard departments don't prefer MPs, though.

brewster

Post by brewster » Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:43 pm

Okeefenokee wrote: they have hiring preference already. i've heard departments don't prefer MPs, though.
preference is different than a requirement. Funny thing is no one actually knows how many vet/cops there are! Best guesses are depts are varying between 15% & 50%. So there's no way to crunch the data of whether they make better or worse cops. How have the PD's gotten away for so long keeping their data offline? No one even knows how many people cops shoot.
We are only accustomed to dealing with like twenty online personas at a time so when we only have about ten people some people have to be strawmanned in order to advance our same relative go nowhere nonsense positions. -TheReal_ND

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:58 pm

brewster wrote:
Okeefenokee wrote: they have hiring preference already. i've heard departments don't prefer MPs, though.
preference is different than a requirement. Funny thing is no one actually knows how many vet/cops there are! Best guesses are depts are varying between 15% & 50%. So there's no way to crunch the data of whether they make better or worse cops. How have the PD's gotten away for so long keeping their data offline? No one even knows how many people cops shoot.
991 people shot dead by police in 2015

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics ... shootings/
963 people have been shot and killed by police in 2016

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics ... ings-2016/
461 people have been shot and killed by police in 2017.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics ... ings-2017/

jseymour

Post by jseymour » Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:15 am

I'm sorry did we see the same video. Their was no communication problem and theirs no way of knowing if they officer had told him to keep his hands on the steering wheel he would have done it and prevented his own death. Firstly I'm a huge CCW fan, and get pissed off like everyone else when a CCW'er gets lit up by a cop for no good reason. Happens all the time, but since it's mostly white guys that get shot no one cares but other gun nuts and CCW'ers.

Who in their right mind doesn't have their registration, id, ccw, card already out by the time the cop gets to their window, especially if your carrying. He had plenty of time to deescalate the encounter before the cop was even in talking distance. The cop was professional and courteous and told him not to reach for his firearm. He never told him to get his license, or his CCW card. The man made a move for his gun, or wallet and was told more forcibly by the cop not to go for his gun, the cop even reached in the vehicle to stop him, while pulling his own firearm. At some point in all this a normal person should stop what they are doing. Seriously after all that why would someone continue to reach for their gun or wallet. Because he's continuing with his actions the cop lights him up.

Say what you want about training, but at some time people have to take responsibility for their actions. Carrying a gun means you agree to play by big boy rules and will suffer the consequences regardless of your intentions. When someone screws up it's not ok to blame the cops or their training for ones bad behavior or flat out stupidity while carrying a firearm.

I've had several similar encounters with officers while carrying. Never in my life would do something as stupid as what this guy did. I feel sorry for that officer. If you honestly think the cop was wrong in this case do yourself a favor and never carry a firearm. If I was in that officers position I may have done the same thing.

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:24 am

jbird4049 wrote:
C-Mag wrote:
jbird4049 wrote:

But their right to go home at night is more important than the lives of their fellow Americans, never mind such lefty crap as to protect and serve.
It's not a left or right thing. One of the primary responsibilities of the Government is security of citizens.
Yeah, good point. Maybe I should have worshiper of the police?
:?

The Police training and rules of engagement need to be reformed. After the North Hollywood Shooting police forces went nuts.
It should not be easier for an LEO to kill an American Citizen than it is for a US Soldier to kill a threat in a War Zone, but it is.
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:01 am

C-Mag wrote:The Police training and rules of engagement need to be reformed. After the North Hollywood Shooting police forces went nuts.
It should not be easier for an LEO to kill an American Citizen than it is for a US Soldier to kill a threat in a War Zone, but it is.
Right to the heart of the matter without glorifying people with guns.
Shamedia, Shamdemic, Shamucation, Shamlection, Shamconomy & Shamate Change