Urging Others to Suicide a Crime - Lawyers?

DBTrek

Urging Others to Suicide a Crime - Lawyers?

Post by DBTrek » Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:11 am

Looks like a judge has decided it actually *is* a crime to relentlessly urge someone to kill themselves - something certain posters on this forum should probably take note of.
TAUNTON, Mass. — A young woman who sent a barrage of text messages to another teenager urging him to kill himself was found guilty Friday of involuntary manslaughter in a case that many legal experts had expected to result in an acquittal.

The verdict, handed down by a judge in a nonjury trial, was a rare legal finding that, essentially, a person’s words alone can directly cause someone else’s suicide.

The judge, Lawrence Moniz, of Bristol County Juvenile Court in southeastern Massachusetts, said the conduct of the woman, Michelle Carter, toward Conrad Roy III was not only immoral but illegal. She faces up to 20 years in prison.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/16/us/s ... .html?_r=0
The article makes it sound like the decision is a shock for people who actually know and study law.
What do the lawyers here think about this case?
"Hey varmints, don't mess with a guy that's riding a buffalo"

de officiis

Re: Urging Others to Suicide a Crime - Lawyers?

Post by de officiis » Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:15 am

Here's a link to the backstory

viewtopic.php?f=63&t=2160&hilit=Suicide

I think what she did was despicable, but I don't feel qualified to comment on whether it met the state's legal definition for manslaughter.

Alexander PhiAlipson

Post by Alexander PhiAlipson » Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:18 am

de officiis wrote:I think what she did was despicable, but I don't feel qualified to comment on whether it met the state's legal definition for manslaughter.
I wonder if Jim Jones would.
"She had yellow hair and she walked funny and she made a noise like... O my God, please don't kill me! "

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:24 am

DB be like "lawyers?" :lol:

No but seriously she's fucked up for that. I don't feel sorry for any beta that kills himself for what a thot says though.

DBTrek

Post by DBTrek » Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:30 am

It seems to me (as someone who would have no clue whatsoever) like a fairly pivotal case. I mean, we haven't had an over-abundance of people trying to get other people to kill themselves online, because it's a fairly new threat/behavior in our society. Think of it like the drug war, which is a huge deal now but 100 years ago Americans would've had no concept of it. As we move forward there are going to me *more* cyber-harassment type crimes, not fewer, and we're watching the foundation of how those crimes will be approached and prosecuted right now, in real time.
"Hey varmints, don't mess with a guy that's riding a buffalo"

Ex-California

Post by Ex-California » Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:40 am

Damnit. I urge pedophiles to commit suicide almost daily on Reddit
No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session

Hwen Hoshino

Post by Hwen Hoshino » Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:43 am

Not a problem for me. I kick ass in a civilized way.
Last edited by Hwen Hoshino on Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:59 am

I am pretty sure you would have to show that the defendant knew the victim would likely commit suicide. There would have to be intent. Just telling somebody to kill themselves would not be enough. So kill yourself already.

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:03 am

California wrote:Damnit. I urge pedophiles to commit suicide almost daily on Reddit
You're doing god's work Cali

Hwen Hoshino

Post by Hwen Hoshino » Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:00 am

TheReal_ND wrote:
California wrote:Damnit. I urge pedophiles to commit suicide almost daily on Reddit
You're doing god's work Cali
Old Testament God fan?