Oh for Fuck Sake!

Smitty-48

Re: Oh for Fuck Sake!

Post by Smitty-48 » Sat Jun 17, 2017 2:15 pm

Fife wrote:If anyone over the age of 13 put on some kind of costume back in 1977 (when I got my face painted as Gene Simmons by a hawt high school girl at the fall bazaar Halloween afternoon) they would have gotten their lily ass kicked into next week.
That's funny, I had the exact same experience, one of my my tween girlfriends was a rocker chick, Kiss freak, except she gave me the Ace Frehley face instead, and she went as Stevie Nicks.
Nec Aspera Terrent

Ex-California

Post by Ex-California » Sat Jun 17, 2017 2:21 pm

GloryofGreece wrote:
California wrote:And I think the valedictorian from my high school got a full ride to USC, wasted in on an art degree, and is now a teacher at the Catholic elementary school that we went to together
And? Is that stupid in your opinion or prove your smarter than her? She a fucking art teacher at a Catholic School = idiot/...ok.
You missed my point entirely. It has nothing to do with relative intelligence but about success post-education like this thread was originally about. It got off into the weeds about intelligence somewhere.
No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session

Alexander PhiAlipson

Post by Alexander PhiAlipson » Sat Jun 17, 2017 5:56 pm

MilSpecs wrote:
Alexander PhiAlipson wrote:I took what were called Regents classes, (I guess they're sort of like AP classes today) which means you could actually achieve a failing grade but pass the class if you passed the Regents' test at the end of the year (I think they were only available in New York, but systemic racism probably ended them.)
Someone stole the Algebra Regents in my sophomore year. It's the only time that's happened as far as I know, and everyone was excused from taking it that year - we all got automatic passes.
:lol:
Dayum!
"She had yellow hair and she walked funny and she made a noise like... O my God, please don't kill me! "

Hwen Hoshino

Post by Hwen Hoshino » Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:42 pm

Speaker to Animals wrote:
Hwen Hoshino wrote:
Speaker to Animals wrote:Animals do not have tradition.

Tradition is the collective wisdom of your people. It's what produced *you*. The alternatives to tradition were ideas held by people who failed to reproduce and sustain their culture.

The people in our society who often disparage tradition are evolutionary dead ends. Their ideas mean jackshit because they won't reproduce. So fuck 'em.

Maybe refine my earlier assertion that enfranchisement should be limited to veterans. It should be limited to veterans who have at least two children.
I guess no tradition was ever discarded in history.

Sure, usually as a result of genocide.
Are you a Highlander? You did not live post ww2?
BjornP wrote:
Hwen Hoshino wrote: I guess no tradition was ever discarded in history.
I'm guessing you realized that animals didn't have any traditions to question, eh?

And the fact that someone, sometime, somewhere discarded some traditions is not equal to those traditions all making no "sense" and somehow "deserving" to be discarded. Also, you know what usually happened when one tradition was discarded? A new one became practised instead. Or more often than not, an old tradition got infused with new ideas and altered the old ways, without actually destroying them.
We have more ritual in our life than our ancestors?

Penner

Post by Penner » Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:19 pm

Hwen Hoshino wrote:

BjornP wrote:
I'm guessing you realized that animals didn't have any traditions to question, eh?

And the fact that someone, sometime, somewhere discarded some traditions is not equal to those traditions all making no "sense" and somehow "deserving" to be discarded. Also, you know what usually happened when one tradition was discarded? A new one became practised instead. Or more often than not, an old tradition got infused with new ideas and altered the old ways, without actually destroying them.
I would say that we have more social scripts that are probably due to living in higher concertations (i.e. cities/towns) than our ancestors but I feel like we usually try to toss old rituals away while (subconsciously) form new ones.

Hwen Hoshino

Post by Hwen Hoshino » Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:56 pm

Penner wrote:
Hwen Hoshino wrote:

BjornP wrote:

I would say that we have more social scripts that are probably due to living in higher concertations (i.e. cities/towns) than our ancestors but I feel like we usually try to toss old rituals away while (subconsciously) form new ones.
Depends on how rich you are and the identitarians are very sneaky about their rituals unlike churches and kings of the old.

BjornP

Post by BjornP » Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:30 am

Hwen Hoshino wrote:
BjornP wrote:

Tradition does not equal ritual.

The reason I started questioning this statement of yours:

"Just because something is a tradition it does not mean it makes sense."..

..was because I wanted to point out that no matter if we're talking tradition or love, or art, or religion, or any feelings, those things not only are not supposed to make any sort of rational, universal and objective sense to all of mankind. Some things like science and facts need to be universal, rational and objective for scientific development and am uncorrupt justice system to prevail, but our individual feelings of love to those closest to us, our pride in the accomplishments of family members and friends, or sense of wonder at art, nature, whatever it may be, we need those too.
Fame is not flattery. Respect is not agreement.