Oh for Fuck Sake!

Hwen Hoshino

Re: Oh for Fuck Sake!

Post by Hwen Hoshino » Sat Jun 17, 2017 4:47 am

Martin Hash wrote:
Alexander PhiAlipson wrote:
Hwen Hoshino wrote: I am sure you could not have handled the transition if there was no ceremony.
I did not attend the ceremony, I went to work instead. Later I received my diploma in the mail (they don't give you a real sheep-skin anyway); as well as my first scholarship check (they used to give you those for scoring very high on your SAT.) When I got my first college degree, I was playing Pomp and Circumstance, sotte voce in the pit orchestra as they repeatedly mispronounced my name to hand my my awards and fake diploma. I didn't don the mortar board and robe for my second (third) degree either. Nor did I pay any fees to join the various honor societies to which I was accepted, though there is a picture of me in one yearbook's chess club.
Graduations are for your family, not you.

p.s. I'm collecting my caps & gowns 'cuz that's what I do.
How do they benefit the family?

Alexander PhiAlipson

Post by Alexander PhiAlipson » Sat Jun 17, 2017 5:02 am

Hanarchy Montanarchy wrote:Man, I don't want to, but I am afraid I am going to have to sound the

NERD ALERT!!!
:law-policered:
Nah, I was a burn-out: long hair, army-jacket, guitar player in a Zeppelin cover band--I don't think nerds were invented yet, though we had punchable punks aplenty. I took what were called Regents classes, (I guess they're sort of like AP classes today) which means you could actually achieve a failing grade but pass the class if you passed the Regents' test at the end of the year (I think they were only available in New York, but systemic racism probably ended them.)
"She had yellow hair and she walked funny and she made a noise like... O my God, please don't kill me! "

Fife

Post by Fife » Sat Jun 17, 2017 5:04 am

Hwen Hoshino wrote:How do they benefit the family?
Obviously they don't in every case. :altwink:

Alexander PhiAlipson

Post by Alexander PhiAlipson » Sat Jun 17, 2017 5:12 am

Some parents seem to think graduating high is an achievement. I've heard it's not easy for everybody to do so. Some parents may find some joy and pride in their children for graduating.
Do you really need such things explained, or is this your Socrates imitation? If the former, welcome to the world; if the latter, have some tea.
"She had yellow hair and she walked funny and she made a noise like... O my God, please don't kill me! "

Hwen Hoshino

Post by Hwen Hoshino » Sat Jun 17, 2017 5:54 am

Alexander PhiAlipson wrote:
Some parents seem to think graduating high is an achievement. I've heard it's not easy for everybody to do so. Some parents may find some joy and pride in their children for graduating.
Do you really need such things explained, or is this your Socrates imitation? If the former, welcome to the world; if the latter, have some tea.
Just because something is a tradition it does not mean it makes sense.

BjornP

Post by BjornP » Sat Jun 17, 2017 6:11 am

Hwen Hoshino wrote:
Alexander PhiAlipson wrote: Some parents seem to think graduating high is an achievement. I've heard it's not easy for everybody to do so. Some parents may find some joy and pride in their children for graduating.

And people are supposed to care that a tradition doesn't "make sense" because...?
Fame is not flattery. Respect is not agreement.

Fife

Post by Fife » Sat Jun 17, 2017 6:14 am

Hwen Hoshino

Post by Hwen Hoshino » Sat Jun 17, 2017 6:33 am

BjornP wrote:
Hwen Hoshino wrote:
Alexander PhiAlipson wrote: Some parents seem to think graduating high is an achievement. I've heard it's not easy for everybody to do so. Some parents may find some joy and pride in their children for graduating.

And people are supposed to care that a tradition doesn't "make sense" because...?
Because are human, more evovled, smarter etc...

BjornP

Post by BjornP » Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:45 am

Hwen Hoshino wrote:
BjornP wrote:
Hwen Hoshino wrote: Just because something is a tradition it does not mean it makes sense.

Because are human, more evovled, smarter etc...
Oh, you have to do way better than that. Tradition is a result of us being more evolved than other animals.
Fame is not flattery. Respect is not agreement.

Ex-California

Post by Ex-California » Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:58 am

At high school graduation the Catholic school tried to exercise control over me one more time by threatening to not let me walk because I had the wrong shoes on

At college graduation I was in the middle of such a coke and booze bender that I was still very intoxicated during the ceremony which is held early in the morning due to the heat of Chico at the end of May. Two of my very good friends were also History majors so we sat next to each other and were the peanut gallery for everyone around us.
No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session