BREAKING NEWS: SENATE THINKS YOU HAVE TOO MUCH FREEDOM

clubgop

Re: BREAKING NEWS: SENATE THINKS YOU HAVE TOO MUCH FREEDOM

Post by clubgop » Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:25 pm

brewster wrote:
clubgop wrote:
you can't refuse to renew a lease
Can't you jack the price up to something unreasonable?
Nope. The law says you can't raise it a "reprehensible" amount, the definition to be left to a judge if the tenant takes you to court. Word is it depends on the judge, and whether your new rent is actually over market or not.

The key to this game is choosing your tenants wisely. I NEVER use a broker, I chat them up as they look at the place. If someone is a asshole or a PITA there, they do not get an apartment from me. If both the tenant and landlord act in good faith, there's never a problem. Oh yeah, I only rent to the upwardly mobile, mostly college educated. Not necessarily white. I got a tenant from Central America who's a programmer and makes more than my wife and I combined.
Okeefenokee wrote:basically, you're a straight white property owning male, and anything you do is patriarchy.
Ah, yes, the guilt of being white.
So no one comes down on you about your initial tenet selection?

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:28 pm

I'd try to screen out dirtbags too.
GrumpyCatFace wrote:Dumb slut partied too hard and woke up in a weird house. Ran out the door, weeping for her failed life choices, concerned townsfolk notes her appearance and alerted the fuzz.

viewtopic.php?p=60751#p60751

brewster

Post by brewster » Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:54 pm

clubgop wrote: So no one comes down on you about your initial tenet selection?
Law says you can't discriminate against a protected class, and to enforce your standards like income & credit score requirements uniformly. If you turn someone down, you best tell them as little as possible.

In practice, I've rarely had to turn someone down after accepting an application. It might be different in a ungentrifying area. I can rent a 2 bedroom to a young couple working in Manhattan and priced out of Brooklyn rather than a barely working family of 6 on section 8. Usually the biggest problem on their credit report is student loans.
We are only accustomed to dealing with like twenty online personas at a time so when we only have about ten people some people have to be strawmanned in order to advance our same relative go nowhere nonsense positions. -TheReal_ND

clubgop

Post by clubgop » Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:59 pm

Okeefenokee wrote:I'd try to screen out dirtbags too.
Oh yeah. But in the 70's and 80's HUD was coming down on every landlord for what is SOP now. That is how they got Trump and Donald Sterling.

brewster

Post by brewster » Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:18 pm

clubgop wrote:
Oh yeah. But in the 70's and 80's HUD was coming down on every landlord for what is SOP now. That is how they got Trump and Donald Sterling.
There's a difference in the eyes of the law whether you're screening our people with poor income and credit vs screening out non-whites.
We are only accustomed to dealing with like twenty online personas at a time so when we only have about ten people some people have to be strawmanned in order to advance our same relative go nowhere nonsense positions. -TheReal_ND

clubgop

Post by clubgop » Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:21 pm

brewster wrote:
clubgop wrote:
There's a difference in the eyes of the law whether you're screening our people with poor income and credit vs screening out non-whites.
Well unfortunately in the 70's and 80's those groups in the inner cities were one and the same.

brewster

Post by brewster » Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:18 pm

clubgop wrote:
Well unfortunately in the 70's and 80's those groups in the inner cities were one and the same.
The Trump properties in Queens were not "inner city" even in the 70's. They were excluding otherwise qualifying nonwhite tenants.

clubgop

Post by clubgop » Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:18 pm

brewster wrote:
clubgop wrote:
The Trump properties in Queens were not "inner city" even in the 70's. They were excluding otherwise qualifying nonwhite tenants.
Yeah sure, it wasnt a punishment for him playing in Manhattan. :roll: