BREAKING NEWS: SENATE THINKS YOU HAVE TOO MUCH FREEDOM

TheReal_ND

Re: BREAKING NEWS: SENATE THINKS YOU HAVE TOO MUCH FREEDOM

Post by TheReal_ND » Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:08 pm

brewster wrote:Building dept shows up and says: show us the illegal construction work.
I say: what illegal construction work.
show us the illegal construction work.
I say: I don't know of any construction work. do you know what apartment of this building you want to see?
No.
So you want to go on a fishing expedition through all the homes in this building?
Pause. We'll be back.

They slapped me with a $4500 fine for not letting them in. Utterly illegally. I discovered SCOTUS ruled in Camara vs SF (1967) that if buildings wants in they need a warrant. Everyone, including lawyers not in this field, told me to let them in, but now I was pissed. Finally found a lawyer who knew his shit, and when he saw the docs said "this is bullshit". But it cost me $2500 to make it go away.

Building Dept perjured themselves to the judge saying they had wanted to see a unit with an open permit (only open because they failed to complete their paperwork after inspecting it years earlier). Had they asked to see one unit, I would have notified the tenant, and gotten permission, since I cannot otherwise legally enter a tenant's apartment unless it is an emergency, which this was not. Can you imagine if I let these guys into people's homes and they had anything incriminating sitting around? I could get sued.

There's your 4th amendment bedtime story.
Damn. That's some jewey shit right there. I'm surprised they didn't try to sell you fire insurance or something lol

brewster

Post by brewster » Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:14 pm

TheReal_ND wrote: That's some jewey shit right there.
I don't understand. Care to put that in normal non-racist english, if you possess such.
We are only accustomed to dealing with like twenty online personas at a time so when we only have about ten people some people have to be strawmanned in order to advance our same relative go nowhere nonsense positions. -TheReal_ND

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:15 pm

Umm...

Hang on what's the word for it?

RENT SEEKING SHIT RIGHT THERE

brewster

Post by brewster » Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:45 pm

TheReal_ND wrote:Umm...

Hang on what's the word for it?

RENT SEEKING SHIT RIGHT THERE
They could easily have been freelancing looking for a payoff, building inspectors here regularly get hauled away in cuffs. But it might have just been the usual fury of an "official" told to fuck off, their equivalent of cops beating the crap out of you. I'm pretty sure the only reason they were there was the asshole across the street fucking with me by dropped a dime. He's a Puerto Rican prick who I've never spoken to in 20 years but has a hard on for me presumably because I'm a white gentrifier, plus he was probably parking in my lot for free before I bought it.
We are only accustomed to dealing with like twenty online personas at a time so when we only have about ten people some people have to be strawmanned in order to advance our same relative go nowhere nonsense positions. -TheReal_ND

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:49 pm

:think:
Yeah I'm out of suggestions for anything with that high level of agency. Rent seeking is a lot of hard work.

brewster

Post by brewster » Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:53 pm

TheReal_ND wrote::think:
Yeah I'm out of suggestions for anything with that high level of agency. Rent seeking is a lot of hard work.
As a landlord, I really hate the term "rent seeking". Renting anything is an honest free market business, but the term really has nothing to do with that.

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:56 pm

Rent seeking is a behavior. It was that connotation I was using.

brewster

Post by brewster » Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:59 pm

TheReal_ND wrote:Rent seeking is a behavior. It was that connotation I was using.
I know, just saying I hate it and wish the economists had come up with better term.

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:00 pm

Heh. I'm sure they have.

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:01 pm

brewster wrote:
TheReal_ND wrote::think:
As a landlord, I really hate the term "rent seeking". Renting anything is an honest free market business, but the term really has nothing to do with that.
Rent Seeking is generally given to mean either a) Charging excessively for something that should be free, or b) Charging rent twice (or to two different people) for the same thing.

ND is referring to mafia shakedowns, where the "officials" (working for the mob) of NYC would go around and sell fire insurance, implying that they would burn the building if you didn't buy. Protection rackets.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0