Congressman Steve Scalise (R) shot

clubgop

Re: Congressman Steve Scalise (R) shot

Post by clubgop » Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:01 pm

jbird4049 wrote:
clubgop wrote:
jbird4049 wrote:
To quote parents everywhere: if your friends jump off a cliff, would you follow them?

I try, though I often fail, not to do the same stupid as my "side" even if I usually agree with them. Whoever them is at the time.
Yeah thats nice. Losers make parental arguments.
Prudence, logic, and common sense are for losers? Okay. :lol:

clubgop wrote:
jbird4049 wrote:
Maybe I should see it. I need something not depressing or serious right now.
Watching the results in Ga and SC?
No, should I? :D

We are talking about two bastions of the Republican Party. Win, lose, whatever.
No prudence in or logic in sour grapes.

The question is not of jumping but if all your friends are "collecting nazi scalps" and anyone that doesn't agree is a nazi, you just going to stand there and take it? Take some responsibility for your party's state of things. All I am seeing is talking point excuses.

Hastur

Post by Hastur » Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:15 am

heydaralon wrote:That Richard III trailer looks very interesting. As far as adaption goes, Ran is probaby the best one. I'm not well versed on Shakespeare, but when its done right it makes for a damn fine play.

Hastur:
check out this Macbeth trailer. It stays pretty true to the original play. Fassbender Kills it.
Fassbender is great but I think that adaptation suffers from insufficient Lady Macbeth. She was always the center of the story to me and here she is relegated to the back seat.

Kurosawa made a great adaption in 1957, Kumonosu-jô. (Throne of Blood) Toshiro Mifune is great as always.

An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur? - Axel Oxenstierna

Nie lügen die Menschen so viel wie nach einer Jagd, während eines Krieges oder vor Wahlen. - Otto von Bismarck

jbird4049

Post by jbird4049 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:23 am

clubgop wrote:
jbird4049 wrote:
clubgop wrote:
Yeah thats nice. Losers make parental arguments.
Prudence, logic, and common sense are for losers? Okay. :lol:

clubgop wrote:
Watching the results in Ga and SC?
No, should I? :D

We are talking about two bastions of the Republican Party. Win, lose, whatever.
No prudence in or logic in sour grapes.

The question is not of jumping but if all your friends are "collecting nazi scalps" and anyone that doesn't agree is a nazi, you just going to stand there and take it? Take some responsibility for your party's state of things. All I am seeing is talking point excuses.
To quote parents everywhere: if your friends jump off a cliff, would you follow them?

I try, though I often fail, not to do the same stupid as my "side" even if I usually agree with them. Whoever "them" is at the time.

I do not blame you, nor claim you responsible, for the actions of others, especially of tens of millions of people beyond your control, or even influence. Doing so would not only would be a lie, as well as unfair, it would enable me to elude having a conversation with you while maintaining the pretense of doing so.
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

jseymour

Post by jseymour » Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:50 am

Smitty-48 wrote:I'd say Act of Valor doesn't try to conceal the fact that it is basically an extended recruitment film, whereas Lone Survivor is a subliminal recruitment film which tries to pass itself of as historical, so I find Act of Valor to be more redeemed, simply by being more transparent.

Also, Act of Valor doesn't have the conceit to fuck with actual events, whereas Lone Survivor does, and then blows it, badly.
I admit that the changing of the story of how he got rescued was bullshit but I also understand why they did it. I remember watching the making of it, and they wanted Marky Mark to knife a guy to death, and Marcus said. "Dude, what the fuck, come on." and they cut it. It wasn't totally accurate but was as accurate as they could within the boundaries of not giving away key intel that would have gotten other guys killed.

jseymour

Post by jseymour » Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:51 am

Smitty-48 wrote:The ironic thing is, the best subliminal recruitment films, are the Hollywood Liberal Panty Waist Anti-Vietnam War films; what better American War Gods, than Colonel Kilgore and Sergeant Barnes?

I rememeber when my father said "Oooh, that Sgt Barnes is evil!" and I said, "What?! Barnes is the hero, the rest of those clowns would have been dead along time ago without Barnes! Elias gets all stoned and then he just goes a lone ranger rush, whoopie fuckin do! Elias was a rat, he had to go, you dont fuckin rat to the Man, in a war zone."
When I was a kid I thought Barnes was evil too, after growing up I'm like we need more guys like Barnes.

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:39 am

jseymour wrote:
Smitty-48 wrote:I'd say Act of Valor doesn't try to conceal the fact that it is basically an extended recruitment film, whereas Lone Survivor is a subliminal recruitment film which tries to pass itself of as historical, so I find Act of Valor to be more redeemed, simply by being more transparent.

Also, Act of Valor doesn't have the conceit to fuck with actual events, whereas Lone Survivor does, and then blows it, badly.
I admit that the changing of the story of how he got rescued was bullshit but I also understand why they did it. I remember watching the making of it, and they wanted Marky Mark to knife a guy to death, and Marcus said. "Dude, what the fuck, come on." and they cut it. It wasn't totally accurate but was as accurate as they could within the boundaries of not giving away key intel that would have gotten other guys killed.
It's starts out OK, it's like two movies, everything up to and through the gunfight is fine, I thought the initiating contact and then the process of just being overrun was the best part of the movie, but then it just falls apart, by the time you get the Chinook scene, you're like, OK, this has turned into Hollywood cheese now.
jseymour wrote:
Smitty-48 wrote:The ironic thing is, the best subliminal recruitment films, are the Hollywood Liberal Panty Waist Anti-Vietnam War films; what better American War Gods, than Colonel Kilgore and Sergeant Barnes?

I rememeber when my father said "Oooh, that Sgt Barnes is evil!" and I said, "What?! Barnes is the hero, the rest of those clowns would have been dead along time ago without Barnes! Elias gets all stoned and then he just goes a lone ranger rush, whoopie fuckin do! Elias was a rat, he had to go, you dont fuckin rat to the Man, in a war zone."
When I was a kid I thought Barnes was evil too, after growing up I'm like we need more guys like Barnes.
Platoon is at its best, when it's morally ambiguous and bleak, state sanctioned mass murder in a harsh realm; "that's how the Gook laughs", "everybody gotta die sometime, Red", "I told the Padre, I like it here" Platoon is at its worst, when it degenerates into preachy moralizing sermon, and the Elias Jesus crucifixion; get real.

It's like at the end, when Taylor has Barnes dead to rights, now my father is saying ""yeah, shoot him", and I'm like "wayment, so when Barnes is judge jury and executioner in a harsh realm, he's 'evil', but when Taylor does it, he's 'righteous'? I think you're missing the point..."

There's actually an alternate ending, where Taylor doesn't shoot Barnes, just shakes his head derisively and walks away, the preachy moralizing holier than thou finale, but that would of course defeat the whole purpose of the parable, the circle is not squared, until Taylor becomes Barnes himself.

Old Testament Platoon; thumbs up. New Testament Platoon; meh.
Nec Aspera Terrent

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:59 pm

Hastur wrote:
heydaralon wrote:That Richard III trailer looks very interesting. As far as adaption goes, Ran is probaby the best one. I'm not well versed on Shakespeare, but when its done right it makes for a damn fine play.

Hastur:
check out this Macbeth trailer. It stays pretty true to the original play. Fassbender Kills it.
Fassbender is great but I think that adaptation suffers from insufficient Lady Macbeth. She was always the center of the story to me and here she is relegated to the back seat.

Kurosawa made a great adaption in 1957, Kumonosu-jô. (Throne of Blood) Toshiro Mifune is great as always.
I liked Ran. I will check that one out for sure!
Shikata ga nai

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:23 pm

Caught on tape: Dem official says he's 'glad' Scalise got shot

“His whole job is to get people, convince Republicans to [expletive] kick people off [expletive] health care. I’m glad he got shot,” Montag said in the audio recording. “I wish he was [expletive] dead.”

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/06 ... -shot.html
GrumpyCatFace wrote:Dumb slut partied too hard and woke up in a weird house. Ran out the door, weeping for her failed life choices, concerned townsfolk notes her appearance and alerted the fuzz.

viewtopic.php?p=60751#p60751

jbird4049

Post by jbird4049 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:09 pm

Okeefenokee wrote:

“His whole job is to get people, convince Republicans to [expletive] kick people off [expletive] health care. I’m glad he got shot,” Montag said in the audio recording. “I wish he was [expletive] dead.”

Just shows there are jackasses everywhere. :shrug:

Though, I am glad he is getting some public ass kicking. Some Karma was due him,
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

Xenophon

Post by Xenophon » Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:23 pm

jbird4049 wrote:
Okeefenokee wrote:

Just shows there are jackasses everywhere. :shrug:

Though, I am glad he is getting some public ass capping. Some Karma was due him,
Fixed, revealed your subtext for you.