Congressman Steve Scalise (R) shot

jbird4049

Re: Congressman Steve Scalise (R) shot

Post by jbird4049 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:17 pm

heydaralon wrote:Case in point: Get Out and Lone Survivor. Both are awful movies, pushing an agenda for their respective parties. Personally I think Get Out was shittier and more obvious, but Lone Survivor was pretty bad too.
Lone Survivor didn't looked that interesting to me, so I didn't watch. I'm guessing lone survivor is all about fighting the war on terror, rah rah, so that's easy, but what was Get Out's shtick?
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

jbird4049

Post by jbird4049 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:22 pm

Speaker to Animals wrote:Thought experiment: What would have happened to William Shakespeare had he reworked his Caesar play such that, despite the lines, the actors were dressed in contemporary clothing and the setting was contemporary England, and Julius Caesar was a woman who just happened to be a red-headed woman who talked a lot like the Queen?
He might not have die in bed?

More seriously.

It is not unusual to work contemporary politicians into Shakespearean play.

jbird4049

Post by jbird4049 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:23 pm

heydaralon wrote:
Speaker to Animals wrote:Its pretty much the same as the movie.
Did you see the Merchant of Venice with Al Pacino?
Really? That must be an interesting movie.

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:23 pm

jbird4049 wrote:
heydaralon wrote:Case in point: Get Out and Lone Survivor. Both are awful movies, pushing an agenda for their respective parties. Personally I think Get Out was shittier and more obvious, but Lone Survivor was pretty bad too.
Lone Survivor didn't looked that interesting to me, so I didn't watch. I'm guessing lone survivor is all about fighting the war on terror, rah rah, so that's easy, but what was Get Out's shtick?
Just another low hanging fruit of White people are bad. Not my cup of tea.

Lone survivor felt like straight up propaganda. It was badly made and couldn't decide if it was supposed to be a mindless action movie or a realistic based on a true story type thing. The thing is, there are plenty of good war movies, and plenty of good realistic ones. Black Hawk Down was great. I liked the miniseries Generation Kill, Platoon, FMJ, Saving Private Ryan, etc. But this one was a lazy, cash grabbing effort.
Shikata ga nai

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:37 pm

Alexander PhiAlipson wrote:Fuckin' Philistines, all of you.
Y'all can't even figure out who the hero or protagonist is.
Reading this shit is worse than hearing Dan talk about the alt-right.
Iago was the hero.
Shikata ga nai

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:40 pm

jbird4049 wrote:
heydaralon wrote:
Speaker to Animals wrote:Its pretty much the same as the movie.
Did you see the Merchant of Venice with Al Pacino?
Really? That must be an interesting movie.
Pacino plays Shylock.
Shikata ga nai

Alexander PhiAlipson

Post by Alexander PhiAlipson » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:51 pm

heydaralon wrote:
Alexander PhiAlipson wrote:Fuckin' Philistines, all of you.
Y'all can't even figure out who the hero or protagonist is.
Reading this shit is worse than hearing Dan talk about the alt-right.
Iago was the hero.
Racist!
"She had yellow hair and she walked funny and she made a noise like... O my God, please don't kill me! "

clubgop

Post by clubgop » Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:59 pm

jbird4049 wrote:
clubgop wrote:I am not for banning much of anything what gets me, as always, is the liberal snobbery and pretentiousness. You want to do Shakespeare, do Shakespeare. Don't try to modernize it, sticking real life people with tongue in cheek references, thinking you're some goddamned genius reinventing the wheel and charge someone's rent for tickets and when no one pays that anymore go on the government dole so GCF can virtue signal how he supports the arts, with other people's money. Fuck that, fuck him, and fuck you.
This makes me angry, and it is insulting. How in God's name is art, any art a so called liberal thing, or even a conservative thing. Disagree with the ideas, and the emotions, rather than give a false label, which then gives you permission to ignore those ideas and feelings, that they present.

All art, all science, all philosophy, and, yes, government are not only the rightful tools of us all it is our inheritance, our gift, from those ancestral creators. They often were expressly created for our use by them, regardless of class,race, or even of personal beliefs. They are meant to be used, not idolize.

And how is doing Shakespeare differently some kind of plot? His works were not meant to be put in amber. That anyone not only has the pretentiousness, but arrogance, to tell others that they are good enough, or do not have the right to, shows true character. That of being a...well I just stopped myself from getting too harsh.

There seems to growing groups of Americans so afraid, and therefore dismissive of, evermore ideas, and to strip our collective minds of bad, unapproved, or just distasteful thoughts. Obey. Say the approved story. Think right thoughts. And trust none different for they are the enemies. Fuck that.
Yawn. Boring.
Your a liberal lecturing me on art, saying I can't criticize art, because my speech offends you. How SJW snowflake of you. You got triggered bitch. You are one of those Americans.
Last edited by clubgop on Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:08 pm

Too bad about Lone Survivor, Op Red Wings/Battle of Abbas Ghar deserved better.

But I ain't madat'chas, Marky Mark, still a 6ix God, yo.
Nec Aspera Terrent

clubgop

Post by clubgop » Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:13 pm

GrumpyCatFace wrote:
jbird4049 wrote:
clubgop wrote:I am not for banning much of anything what gets me, as always, is the liberal snobbery and pretentiousness. You want to do Shakespeare, do Shakespeare. Don't try to modernize it, sticking real life people with tongue in cheek references, thinking you're some goddamned genius reinventing the wheel and charge someone's rent for tickets and when no one pays that anymore go on the government dole so GCF can virtue signal how he supports the arts, with other people's money. Fuck that, fuck him, and fuck you.
This makes me angry, and it is insulting. How in God's name is art, any art a so called liberal thing, or even a conservative thing. Disagree with the ideas, and the emotions, rather than give a false label, which then gives you permission to ignore those ideas and feelings, that they present.

All art, all science, all philosophy, and, yes, government are not only the rightful tools of us all it is our inheritance, our gift, from those ancestral creators. They often were expressly created for our use by them, regardless of class,race, or even of personal beliefs. They are meant to be used, not idolize.

And how is doing Shakespeare differently some kind of plot? His works were not meant to be put in amber. That anyone not only has the pretentiousness, but arrogance, to tell others that they are good enough, or do not have the right to, shows true character. That of being a...well I just stopped myself from getting too harsh.

There seems to growing groups of Americans so afraid, and therefore dismissive of, evermore ideas, and to strip our collective minds of bad, unapproved, or just distasteful thoughts. Obey. Say the approved story. Think right thoughts. And trust none different for they are the enemies. Fuck that.
I think Clubby's referring to some kind of Julius Caesar play that was done with a Trump-like character as Caesar. Which would make him the hero. But it's somehow threatening to the Right, because he gets stabbed at the end. Therefore, we must stop funding the arts.

At least, that's as much sense as I can make of it. :shrug:
Caesar is not the hero, there is no hero. It is a tragedy. And Caesar isn't killed at the end. It is a four act play and he is killed in the first scene of the 3rd act. So for nearly half the play he is dead. Why are we paying for art you dont appreciate? So you can pretend to be better than me? Fuck that and fuck you. For once in your worthless existence get one thing right. Bbq sauce, guns, Shakespeare, the politics of child reality tv celebrities, something, bitch.