London Tower Fire

TheReal_ND

Re: London Tower Fire

Post by TheReal_ND » Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:47 pm

Montegriffo wrote:
Speaker to Animals wrote:What kind of aluminum? Aircraft aluminum isn't going to burn for shit.
It's a sandwich of two sheets of aluminium with a filling of plastic, it's the filling which has proved to be flammable.

Aircraft aluminum is also forged and treated multiple multiple times. It's actually a huge process. I used to work on landing gear for Boeing. But yeah obviously they are using one step up from raw aluminum.

Ph64

Post by Ph64 » Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:00 am

TheReal_ND wrote:
Montegriffo wrote:
Speaker to Animals wrote:What kind of aluminum? Aircraft aluminum isn't going to burn for shit.
It's a sandwich of two sheets of aluminium with a filling of plastic, it's the filling which has proved to be flammable.

Aircraft aluminum is also forged and treated multiple multiple times. It's actually a huge process. I used to work on landing gear for Boeing. But yeah obviously they are using one step up from raw aluminum.
Wouldn't matter, zinc has a way lower melting point than aluminum... unless it was zinc coated steel or something the metal wasn't really the issue.

Really, in this day and age, not retrofitting the building with fire alarms and sprinklers was probably a bigger issue - most of the victims probably didn't even know there was a fire until it was too late. One staircase is also a bad idea, but harder to retrofit after the fact, but even one staircase with alarms warning people and sprinklers might've been enough to at least have given them a far better chance.

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:02 am

I'm no metallurgist but I've seen powdered aluminum burn. It burns white hot. I wouldn't use it as "cladding." Zinc either wtf?

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:05 am

It's crazy that England allows high rises with no sprinkler systems. That's really fucking nuts right there. How did that happen?

In American cities like Chicago, even buildings constructed in the 1800s have sprinkler systems now.

Ph64

Post by Ph64 » Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:53 am

TheReal_ND wrote:I'm no metallurgist but I've seen powdered aluminum burn. It burns white hot. I wouldn't use it as "cladding." Zinc either wtf?
I've smelted aluminum, takes a bit over 1400F to melt, hard to do in a wood fire without arranging logs around the crucible so its basically embedded in pile of coals a while later (done it), otherwise forget it without a kiln (which I have) or a forced air fire. I'm guessing that inferno could have melted the aluminum with the air rushing up the building.

Powdered aluminum and oxygen (or typically iron oxide -rust) is thermite, which will burn like an unstoppable torch... But it takes something like the heat of a burning magnesium strip to set it off (3000F), the steel in the building would be melting at those temps (not bending/sagging, melting to liquid). You'd need easy more of a catalyst than your typical building fire temps to set that kind of reaction off, a bunch of furniture and books, etc, ain't gonna cut it.

Aluminum is very safe for that type of cladding use, and light... The insulation in between the layers maybe not.

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:57 am

Burns a goat carcass on open flames

Check mate atheists

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:11 am

Jet fuel doesn't melt steel beams.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:44 am

GrumpyCatFace wrote:Jet fuel doesn't melt steel beams.

Hell, yes it will. JP-8??

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:50 am

Was Anne Boleyn behind this fire?
Shikata ga nai