Vulnerabilities in infrastructure software concern cybersecurity experts

The Conservative

Re: Vulnerabilities in infrastructure software concern cybersecurity experts

Post by The Conservative » Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:41 pm

GrumpyCatFace wrote:
The Conservative wrote:
GrumpyCatFace wrote:
Enlighten us, then.
Keep all things that are necessary off grid, in other words make it so that hackers can get to the point right before the service, but not access the service itself. There would actually be a human element or an element of sort to keep the two systems separate but at the same time communicate with each other.

Its what I do here at work, we have a share at work that is only accessible via the network, but no one outside of the network can access it. If they want access to something, they need to ask permission, and when given the file or share itself is shared on a different system that only people with the right credentials can see.

Does it slow things down, perhaps a little, but are things secure, yes... because I can then be the firewall and a real time stopgap. No technology up to date can do that with 100% effectiveness.

Because if someone wants to share something that shouldn't I don't give authorization, while an automated system could, and in many cases would.
So your security idea boils down to "put a password on it". :face palm:
You really just showed your inexperience, you don't do that without utilizing a running protocol and SSH at a minimum.
#NotOneRedCent

Ex-California

Post by Ex-California » Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:55 pm

I just had a revelation about this whole "Russian hacking of the American elections"

When Rumsfeld was lying to us about yellow cake and WMDs, there was dissension in the intelligence community ranks that made it out to the public.

Now, I've seen people bring this up as an explanation of how the IC is not offering any dissenting opinions about the "Russian hack" and that somehow gives the whole idea credence.

The intelligence community is not dissenting on this at all because it is 100% a failure on their part to stop this. What will they say they need to stop it in the future? More control and more violations of our rights, privacy and security. I can't believe it took me this long to figure it out.
No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session

The Conservative

Post by The Conservative » Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:06 pm

California wrote:I just had a revelation about this whole "Russian hacking of the American elections"

When Rumsfeld was lying to us about yellow cake and WMDs, there was dissension in the intelligence community ranks that made it out to the public.

Now, I've seen people bring this up as an explanation of how the IC is not offering any dissenting opinions about the "Russian hack" and that somehow gives the whole idea credence.

The intelligence community is not dissenting on this at all because it is 100% a failure on their part to stop this. What will they say they need to stop it in the future? More control and more violations of our rights, privacy and security. I can't believe it took me this long to figure it out.

Actually WMD was found, but not reported because it was easier to believe a lie over having to explain the truth.
#NotOneRedCent

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:09 pm

Just try unplugging your router, waiting ten seconds, and plugging it back in. The cybersecurity should work fine after that. Usually routers have a small cyber security button you can push in using a needle or paperclip and that will also re-set the cyber security.
Shikata ga nai

The Conservative

Post by The Conservative » Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:56 am

heydaralon wrote:Just try unplugging your router, waiting ten seconds, and plugging it back in. The cybersecurity should work fine after that. Usually routers have a small cyber security button you can push in using a needle or paperclip and that will also re-set the cyber security.
Than you for calling g Tech Support, where we follow a script because we have no fucking clue what we are actually doing.

It's a reset button, plain and simple. It resets the modem that's it. If you don't wait a minimum of a few hours you will get everything back including the same IP address. The only way this will not be true is if you are using dialup or DSL and didn't buy a static IP address.
#NotOneRedCent

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:02 am

heydaralon wrote:Just try unplugging your router, waiting ten seconds, and plugging it back in. The cybersecurity should work fine after that. Usually routers have a small cyber security button you can push in using a needle or paperclip and that will also re-set the cyber security.
:lol: That was more effective than it should have been.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0