The 51st State

Zlaxer

Re: The 51st State

Post by Zlaxer » Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:30 pm

heydaralon wrote:
GrumpyCatFace wrote:
heydaralon wrote:
What is the point of giving them statehood though? I'm all for cutting them loose entirely, should have been done a long time ago. I don't see what value they add to our country atm. I don't think they will get statehood, but if they did, nothing good would come out of it.
No point, I suppose, but it expands our territory and resources. Pretty much the point of any empire.
PR is ridiculously irresponsible with money like most Latin American countries, which is my biggest concern. We have been bailing out shittily run cities and corporations a lot lately. The last thing we need is more of that in my opinion. I'm not sure how most Puerto Ricans feel about the idea of statehood. There is very little chance of it actually happening unless our government is truly retarded.

What do you mean by "unless"?

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:32 pm

Zlaxer wrote:
Speaker to Animals wrote:
TheReal_ND wrote:Another thing; I don't want to compete with a bajillion unskilled labor Puerto Ricans on the job market. They can keep their shitty flags of their shitty country on the rear view mirror of their shitty cars over there in their shit squalor sandwich.

Well, that's baked into the cake. When PR goes up in smoke, they are going to move to the states (Florida and New York, mostly).

What do you mean by when? Dude....there's no one left on the fucking island.....They''re all in NYC, FA, CT, and MA.

LOL

Just wait.

PR women are absolutely amazing, though.

Zlaxer

Post by Zlaxer » Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:38 pm

Zlaxer wrote:

Well, that's baked into the cake. When PR goes up in smoke, they are going to move to the states (Florida and New York, mostly).

What do you mean by when? Dude....there's no one left on the fucking island.....They''re all in NYC, FA, CT, and MA.

LOL

Just wait.

I was totally being serious.....there's no one left on the fucking island....except for old farts and government stools.....

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... uerto-rico

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:52 pm

Zlaxer wrote:
Zlaxer wrote:

LOL

Just wait.

I was totally being serious.....there's no one left on the fucking island....except for old farts and government stools.....

3.6 million people live on that island..

Zlaxer

Post by Zlaxer » Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:56 pm

Zlaxer wrote:

LOL

Just wait.

3.6 million people live on that island..

There's a lot of government stools... ;)

Most of them will continue to move into NYC(D), MA(D), and CT(D).....

jbird4049

Post by jbird4049 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:33 pm

Zlaxer wrote:
heydaralon wrote:
GrumpyCatFace wrote:
No point, I suppose, but it expands our territory and resources. Pretty much the point of any empire.
PR is ridiculously irresponsible with money like most Latin American countries, which is my biggest concern. We have been bailing out shittily run cities and corporations a lot lately. The last thing we need is more of that in my opinion. I'm not sure how most Puerto Ricans feel about the idea of statehood. There is very little chance of it actually happening unless our government is truly retarded.

What do you mean by "unless"?

There has been a looooong history of both Spain, and the United States, messing with the territory's economy for the benefit of the owning empire's business elites. Every time Puerto Rico gets a good thing going, some law, or rule, is passed, or governor is appointed, that either destroys it, or sends all the profit off the island.

The latest trick is that someone in Congress, and nobody can find out who, added a modification to some bill preventing Puerto Rico from effectively going into bankruptcy and discharging debts like States can, and have, but makes the debt nondischargable like student loans effectively are. So unlike the other fifty States that can tell debt owners to take a hike, at the cost of creditworthiness of course, it can not. Strangely Wall Street bankers, and vulture funds hold most of the debt.

So yes, Puerto Rico's government is a disaster, and managed to destroy the economy, but it had a lot of outside help
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:36 pm

Yeah. You are right. We should probably grant them independence so they can not be such a financial dumpster fire.

brewster

Post by brewster » Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:07 pm

jbird4049 wrote: There has been a looooong history of both Spain, and the United States, messing with the territory's economy for the benefit of the owning empire's business elites. Every time Puerto Rico gets a good thing going, some law, or rule, is passed, or governor is appointed, that either destroys it, or sends all the profit off the island.

The latest trick is that someone in Congress, and nobody can find out who, added a modification to some bill preventing Puerto Rico from effectively going into bankruptcy and discharging debts like States can, and have, but makes the debt nondischargable like student loans effectively are. So unlike the other fifty States that can tell debt owners to take a hike, at the cost of creditworthiness of course, it can not. Strangely Wall Street bankers, and vulture funds hold most of the debt.

So yes, Puerto Rico's government is a disaster, and managed to destroy the economy, but it had a lot of outside help
To be fair, they also have a history of completely overblown civil service. We visited an old friend of my wife's who moved there many years ago, she told us about how it's like Saudi Arabia where everybody has a govt job and barely shows up for it. Fully 20% of the island's workers work for the gov't, vs 6.8% for the mainland USA.

https://www.bls.gov/eag/eag.pr.htm
http://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/ter ... ufacturing
We are only accustomed to dealing with like twenty online personas at a time so when we only have about ten people some people have to be strawmanned in order to advance our same relative go nowhere nonsense positions. -TheReal_ND

clubgop

Post by clubgop » Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:22 pm

brewster wrote:
jbird4049 wrote: There has been a looooong history of both Spain, and the United States, messing with the territory's economy for the benefit of the owning empire's business elites. Every time Puerto Rico gets a good thing going, some law, or rule, is passed, or governor is appointed, that either destroys it, or sends all the profit off the island.

To be fair, they also have a history of completely overblown civil service. We visited an old friend of my wife's who moved there many years ago, she told us about how it's like Saudi Arabia where everybody has a govt job and barely shows up for it. Fully 20% of the island's workers work for the gov't, vs 6.8% for the mainland USA.

https://www.bls.gov/eag/eag.pr.htm
http://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/ter ... ufacturing
Oh another Washington DC? Yeah fuck that.

brewster

Post by brewster » Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:41 pm

clubgop wrote:
brewster wrote: Oh another Washington DC? Yeah fuck that.
Actually, DC is only 25 Residents per employee, PR is 14.5. Surprisingly, my corrupt town of Jersey City is 75. They must be pocketing the money rather than spreading it around. Or maybe the cops making $200k can soak it up.
http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/exogr ... le/2533338
We are only accustomed to dealing with like twenty online personas at a time so when we only have about ten people some people have to be strawmanned in order to advance our same relative go nowhere nonsense positions. -TheReal_ND