What would America look like if it was truly the Land of the Free?

brewster

Re: What would America look like if it was truly the Land of the Free?

Post by brewster » Sun Jun 11, 2017 12:34 pm

The Conservative wrote: Cultural divide?
Uh oh. I've spilled the beans. Have you learned the truth about Santa and the tooth fairy yet?
We are only accustomed to dealing with like twenty online personas at a time so when we only have about ten people some people have to be strawmanned in order to advance our same relative go nowhere nonsense positions. -TheReal_ND

The Conservative

Post by The Conservative » Sun Jun 11, 2017 12:35 pm

brewster wrote:
Uh oh. I've spilled the beans. Have you learned the truth about Santa and the tooth fairy yet?
No I want your definition, because to me it sounds like it's in your head.
#NotOneRedCent

brewster

Post by brewster » Sun Jun 11, 2017 12:39 pm

The Conservative wrote:
brewster wrote:
Umm, ex: you and StA despise urban people and their culture. Is that not a divide?
We are only accustomed to dealing with like twenty online personas at a time so when we only have about ten people some people have to be strawmanned in order to advance our same relative go nowhere nonsense positions. -TheReal_ND

Fife

Post by Fife » Sun Jun 11, 2017 12:44 pm

And you think "culture" anywhere <100K sardines is "non-existent."

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Sun Jun 11, 2017 12:45 pm

I FUCKING LOVE ALL THIS VIBRANT CUTLURE FAM

The Conservative

Post by The Conservative » Sun Jun 11, 2017 12:50 pm

brewster wrote:
The Conservative wrote:
brewster wrote:
Umm, ex: you and StA despise urban people and their culture. Is that not a divide?
That's not what I asked. Try again to answer a simple question.
#NotOneRedCent

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sun Jun 11, 2017 12:52 pm

TheReal_ND wrote:I FUCKING LOVE ALL THIS VIBRANT CUTLURE FAM

So sophisticated. So tolerant.

brewster

Post by brewster » Sun Jun 11, 2017 12:55 pm

Fife wrote:And you think "culture" anywhere <100K sardines is "non-existent."
Not that there isn't culture there, but that they're not significant exporters to popular culture (the topic being discussed) compared to the cities. Ex: How many charted pop songs get produced in small towns compared to Nashville, LA & NY?

@conservative, I don't know what you want. I gave a perfectly clear example of what I mean. One group of people hates another groups culture. It's your turn to say why that's not a cultural divide.

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Sun Jun 11, 2017 4:10 pm

brewster wrote:
Speaker to Animals wrote:
brewster wrote:
And many of them probably feel the exactly the same about you. That there are cultural divides is not news. Doesn't mean there aren't real benefits to living in a city besides the salary that lead people to choose to live there. It's pretty clear that for the majority of Americans, being a Jeffersonian Yeoman Farmer would be like being sent to a re-education camp by Mao.

But we don't need to live in dehumanizing conditions for those jobs any longer. We can spread work out across the country (world even) with communication technologies.

This shit is no longer necessary and it's become a destructive force within our civilization. Most of the degeneracy and decay comes out of those large cities.
That is studiously ignoring all the positive aspects that cities bring to it's residents and the culture. A similar one sided case could be made for dispersed rural living. Note that's where the meth epidemic has it's base.

Interesting NYTimes op-ed on class denial in the US. I've always felt there are 2 big lies in the US, that there's no class barriers and that there's a free market. The class obfuscation prevents people from even knowing what class they're in.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/10/opin ... inion&_r=0
Good post. But I'd say the opposite - "Stop pretending you're about to get rich"
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

brewster

Post by brewster » Sun Jun 11, 2017 5:02 pm

GrumpyCatFace wrote:
Good post. But I'd say the opposite - "Stop pretending you're about to get rich"
Yup, 2 sides of the same coin. "Joe the Plumber" who would never be rich enough to pay the tax he was complaining about, and people pulling in $250k who complain that what with the private school tuition and the mortgages on the condo and the country house they can barely scrape by, how could they be rich?