What would America look like if it was truly the Land of the Free?

brewster

Re: What would America look like if it was truly the Land of the Free?

Post by brewster » Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:26 pm

The Conservative wrote: I take the train, it's and hour 40 min. I drive its 45 on a good day, 3 hours+ one way on a bad one.

I would love to work 20 minutes away minimum, but then I wouldn't be paid as much. It's a give or take.

I can walk to the store to get my milk still doesn't mean I have to like the drive or the people in the city.
At least understand that there's a reason you don't like the people in the city, see my chart. It's cool, but with that understanding should come that there actually are people that like it, not just deluded wage slaves who would move to Green Acres if they could. Personally, I would shoot myself if I spent 3:20 a day commuting (if I owned a gun of course). I work at home and my wife walks 1/2 hr to work, and loves her walk. We moved here specifically because it would allow me space to work at home and keep her close to work opportunities. When I need to see clients I take a 3 minute bike ride to the train and it's an hour to the furthest one in Queens. I've rarely missed dinner with my kids in 18 years. A banking buddy of mine in Westchester NY would never get home before 9pm. I'll never ask him if the money and suburbs was worth that.
We are only accustomed to dealing with like twenty online personas at a time so when we only have about ten people some people have to be strawmanned in order to advance our same relative go nowhere nonsense positions. -TheReal_ND

The Conservative

Post by The Conservative » Sat Jun 10, 2017 5:06 am

brewster wrote:
The Conservative wrote: I take the train, it's and hour 40 min. I drive its 45 on a good day, 3 hours+ one way on a bad one.

I would love to work 20 minutes away minimum, but then I wouldn't be paid as much. It's a give or take.

I can walk to the store to get my milk still doesn't mean I have to like the drive or the people in the city.
At least understand that there's a reason you don't like the people in the city, see my chart. It's cool, but with that understanding should come that there actually are people that like it, not just deluded wage slaves who would move to Green Acres if they could. Personally, I would shoot myself if I spent 3:20 a day commuting (if I owned a gun of course). I work at home and my wife walks 1/2 hr to work, and loves her walk. We moved here specifically because it would allow me space to work at home and keep her close to work opportunities. When I need to see clients I take a 3 minute bike ride to the train and it's an hour to the furthest one in Queens. I've rarely missed dinner with my kids in 18 years. A banking buddy of mine in Westchester NY would never get home before 9pm. I'll never ask him if the money and suburbs was worth that.
I don't like city people because of their attitudes and lack of respect to others.
#NotOneRedCent

brewster

Post by brewster » Sun Jun 11, 2017 11:29 am

The Conservative wrote: I don't like city people because of their attitudes and lack of respect to others.
And many of them probably feel the exactly the same about you. That there are cultural divides is not news. Doesn't mean there aren't real benefits to living in a city besides the salary that lead people to choose to live there. It's pretty clear that for the majority of Americans, being a Jeffersonian Yeoman Farmer would be like being sent to a re-education camp by Mao.
Last edited by brewster on Sun Jun 11, 2017 12:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
We are only accustomed to dealing with like twenty online personas at a time so when we only have about ten people some people have to be strawmanned in order to advance our same relative go nowhere nonsense positions. -TheReal_ND

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sun Jun 11, 2017 12:05 pm

brewster wrote:
The Conservative wrote: I don't like city people because of their attitudes and lack of respect to others.
And many of them probably feel the exactly the same about you. That there are cultural divides is not news. Doesn't mean there aren't real benefits to living in a city besides the salary that lead people to choose to live there. It's pretty clear that for the majority of Americans, being a Jeffersonian Yeoman Farmer would be like being sent to a re-education camp by Mao.

But we don't need to live in dehumanizing conditions for those jobs any longer. We can spread work out across the country (world even) with communication technologies.

This shit is no longer necessary and it's become a destructive force within our civilization. Most of the degeneracy and decay comes out of those large cities.

brewster

Post by brewster » Sun Jun 11, 2017 12:09 pm

Speaker to Animals wrote:
brewster wrote:

But we don't need to live in dehumanizing conditions for those jobs any longer. We can spread work out across the country (world even) with communication technologies.

This shit is no longer necessary and it's become a destructive force within our civilization. Most of the degeneracy and decay comes out of those large cities.
That is studiously ignoring all the positive aspects that cities bring to it's residents and the culture. A similar one sided case could be made for dispersed rural living. Note that's where the meth epidemic has it's base.

Interesting NYTimes op-ed on class denial in the US. I've always felt there are 2 big lies in the US, that there's no class barriers and that there's a free market. The class obfuscation prevents people from even knowing what class they're in.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/10/opin ... inion&_r=0

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sun Jun 11, 2017 12:10 pm

brewster wrote:
brewster wrote:

That is studiously ignoring all the positive aspects that cities bring to it's residents and the culture. A similar one sided case could be made for dispersed rural living. Note that's where the meth epidemic has it's base.

Interesting NYTimes op-ed on class denial in the US. I've always felt there are 2 big lies in the US, that there's no class barriers and that there's a free market. The class obfuscation prevents people from even knowing what class they're in.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/10/opin ... inion&_r=0

I don't ignore it. I contend you don't need large cities to produce culture any longer.

brewster

Post by brewster » Sun Jun 11, 2017 12:15 pm

Speaker to Animals wrote: I don't ignore it. I contend you don't need large cities to produce culture any longer.
That's interesting wishful thinking, perhaps technically feasible, but with no basis in current reality. Almost all culture comes from our cities today. It's been a long time since Friends supplanted Petticoat Junction.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sun Jun 11, 2017 12:16 pm

brewster wrote:
Speaker to Animals wrote: I don't ignore it. I contend you don't need large cities to produce culture any longer.
That's interesting wishful thinking, perhaps technically feasible, but with no basis in current reality. Almost all culture comes from our cities today. It's been a long time since Friends supplanted Petticoat Junction.

It's not wishful thinking. We already have seen the urban universities transition into some kinds of dark age / marxist nonsense factories. The cities are no longer producing the cutting edge of culture. That's being done on the internet.

The "culture" we get from the cities is total shit. We have Hollywood crap. We have New York publishing crap.

They don't produce culture like they used to because they have become degenerate cesspools.

brewster

Post by brewster » Sun Jun 11, 2017 12:23 pm

The "culture" we get from the cities is total shit. We have Hollywood crap. We have New York publishing crap.

They don't produce culture like they used to because they have become degenerate cesspools.
Don't confuse your distaste for that culture for that culture not being dominant. You don't like it? Fine, that's your prerogative. I don't like a lot of it either. Fortunately there's more of it than ever before to choose from. Culture from non-urban areas (lets say pop under 100k) is currently nearly non-existent.

Edit: the location of the universities has nothing to do with it. Far left Oberlin, Carleton, Williams and Wesleyan are in the middle of nowhere.
Last edited by brewster on Sun Jun 11, 2017 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Conservative

Post by The Conservative » Sun Jun 11, 2017 12:31 pm

brewster wrote:
Cultural divide?
#NotOneRedCent