What would America look like if it was truly the Land of the Free?

Hastur

Re: What would America look like if it was truly the Land of the Free?

Post by Hastur » Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:35 am

GrumpyCatFace wrote:
Hastur wrote:
GloryofGreece wrote: I find myself agreeing with Thomas Jefferson's view of urbanization, cities, and commerce etc. the more I look into it.
Sound a lot like the thoughts of the german Völkisch movement. We had a lot of that in Sweden as well during the era of Romantic Nationalism.
Echoes of the same thought pattern can be found in Mao and the Khmer Rouge as well. Perhaps it's a cycle of sorts.
Funny how those Communist ideals keep circling around inside right-wing heads, ain't it? Can you have a Communist revolution with people who say they hate Communism?
I don't see it as Communist ideals. It's more of a mythical idea connected to nostalgia. It's part of the "make my country great again" narrative. You find it in the ideals of the Romans as well. The lowest class was the Capite censi, the head count. They owned no land and were counted by the head rather than by their property. The highest ideal in Rome was the pure man working his land. Not the corrupt city dweller.

Every Roman populist rose to fame by promising land reform. To help the oppressed get their lost land back and thereby restoring their value as citizens.

The same trick is used all over the world. In Africa (Hello Mugabe), and all over Latin America. If people just got a piece of land everything will be good again.

An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur? - Axel Oxenstierna

Nie lügen die Menschen so viel wie nach einer Jagd, während eines Krieges oder vor Wahlen. - Otto von Bismarck

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:54 am

Hastur wrote:
GrumpyCatFace wrote:
Hastur wrote: Sound a lot like the thoughts of the german Völkisch movement. We had a lot of that in Sweden as well during the era of Romantic Nationalism.
Echoes of the same thought pattern can be found in Mao and the Khmer Rouge as well. Perhaps it's a cycle of sorts.
Funny how those Communist ideals keep circling around inside right-wing heads, ain't it? Can you have a Communist revolution with people who say they hate Communism?
I don't see it as Communist ideals. It's more of a mythical idea connected to nostalgia. It's part of the "make my country great again" narrative. You find it in the ideals of the Romans as well. The lowest class was the Capite censi, the head count. They owned no land and were counted by the head rather than by their property. The highest ideal in Rome was the pure man working his land. Not the corrupt city dweller.

Every Roman populist rose to fame by promising land reform. To help the oppressed get their lost land back and thereby restoring their value as citizens.

The same trick is used all over the world. In Africa (Hello Mugabe), and all over Latin America. If people just got a piece of land everything will be good again.
Solid point. We need a name for that.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

Hastur

Post by Hastur » Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:04 am

GrumpyCatFace wrote:
Hastur wrote:
GrumpyCatFace wrote:

It's one of the founding myths.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arcadia_(utopia)

Nie lügen die Menschen so viel wie nach einer Jagd, während eines Krieges oder vor Wahlen. - Otto von Bismarck

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:09 am

Hastur wrote:
GrumpyCatFace wrote:
Hastur wrote: I don't see it as Communist ideals. It's more of a mythical idea connected to nostalgia. It's part of the "make my country great again" narrative. You find it in the ideals of the Romans as well. The lowest class was the Capite censi, the head count. They owned no land and were counted by the head rather than by their property. The highest ideal in Rome was the pure man working his land. Not the corrupt city dweller.

I mean that we need a name for the "ism" of promising individuals land, in return for their freedom. Feudalism doesn't work.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

Hastur

Post by Hastur » Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:17 am

GrumpyCatFace wrote:
Hastur wrote:
GrumpyCatFace wrote:
I mean that we need a name for the "ism" of promising individuals land, in return for their freedom. Feudalism doesn't work.
Land, in return for freedom, is serfdom. A serf belongs to the land, not to himself.

The Conservative

Post by The Conservative » Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:20 am

Hastur wrote:
GrumpyCatFace wrote:
Hastur wrote:
Land, in return for freedom, is serfdom. A serf belongs to the land, not to himself.
Except today, where you rent the land, even though you "own it" in theory...
#NotOneRedCent

brewster

Post by brewster » Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:52 am

GrumpyCatFace wrote:
Hastur wrote:
GrumpyCatFace wrote:
Google translate yields it in tasty German: Landversprechenliegen (land promise lie)
We are only accustomed to dealing with like twenty online personas at a time so when we only have about ten people some people have to be strawmanned in order to advance our same relative go nowhere nonsense positions. -TheReal_ND

Ex-California

Post by Ex-California » Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:14 am

Hastur wrote:
GrumpyCatFace wrote:
Hastur wrote:
Today we're just serfs through debt
No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:26 am

brewster wrote:
GrumpyCatFace wrote:
Hastur wrote:
Google translate yields it in tasty German: Landversprechenliegen (land promise lie)
:lol: I love German. Reminds me of these:

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

brewster

Post by brewster » Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:27 am

California wrote: Today we're just serfs through debt
If you mean a home loan I disagree, most of us could not plunk cash, and buying property using leverage is the most powerful financial tool available to mere mortals not banksters. The GI bill loan financing is noted as one of the greatest wealth creation tools ever. If you're talking about consumer debt or student loans, sure.

We are only accustomed to dealing with like twenty online personas at a time so when we only have about ten people some people have to be strawmanned in order to advance our same relative go nowhere nonsense positions. -TheReal_ND