"If minimum wage goes up, the price of everything goes up."

jediuser598

"If minimum wage goes up, the price of everything goes up."

Post by jediuser598 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 12:43 pm

Demonstrably untrue.

The minimum wage in Washington state is $11 an hour. Here is a picture of milk at Walgreens in Bremerton, WA.

The price of a 5lb bag of potatoes at the local WinCo is .98, 5lb bag of onions, 1.98, 3lb block of cheddar, $5.

If you don't believe me, feel free to call around and check the prices of food items. Just because the minimum wage goes up, doesn't mean the price of food goes up.

(Though the rent prices aren't necessarily cheap.)
Thy praise or dispraise is to me alike:
One doth not stroke me, nor the other strike.
-Ben Johnson

DBTrek

Re: "If minimum wage goes up, the price of everything goes up."

Post by DBTrek » Fri Jun 02, 2017 12:48 pm

:lol:

Obviously not someone who lives in Washington State.
"Hey varmints, don't mess with a guy that's riding a buffalo"

jediuser598

Post by jediuser598 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 12:50 pm

DBTrek wrote::lol:

Obviously not someone who lives in Washington State.
I could take a ferry and see you today, DB. Want to make a bet?
-Ben Johnson

DBTrek

Post by DBTrek » Fri Jun 02, 2017 12:55 pm

I bet your "milk evidence" for a law that has been on the books for six months (it's only been $11 an hour since Jan. 1st) is considerably more feeble than actual studies:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/timworstal ... c1067f4c85

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/won ... ee840969b2

http://www.investors.com/politics/comme ... wage-hike/

Care to make that bet?

jediuser598

Post by jediuser598 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 12:59 pm

DBTrek wrote:I bet your "milk evidence" for a law that has been on the books for six months (it's only been $11 an hour since Jan. 1st) is considerably more feeble than actual studies:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/timworstal ... c1067f4c85

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/won ... ee840969b2

http://www.investors.com/politics/comme ... wage-hike/

Care to make that bet?
So you're admitting you're wrong, and I do live in Washington state, got it.

Furthermore, I don't need studies to check the price of milk. The price of milk is the price of milk.

Just because minimum wage goes up, doesn't mean the price of milk goes up, nor does it mean the price of other food items goes up.

It also can't be argued that because the minimum wage is higher in one place, that the price of milk will also be higher in that place.

That's all I'm arguing here, we can get to the other stuff later.
-Ben Johnson

DBTrek

Post by DBTrek » Fri Jun 02, 2017 1:06 pm

Where you live is irrelevant to anyone on Earth but you, so I'm not admitting you live anywhere, much less caring.
If you actually do live in Washington state and you're still posting this drivel that's a rather sad commentary on your cognitive abilities, nothing more.

Study, after study, after study has shown that low-wage earners lost jobs and lost hours after the minimum wage increase. Derp. That's *another* way employers tackle the problem. They can raise prices, *or* they can cut labor. In Washington they've largely cut labor. Finding one item on a shelf at your local 7-11 and commenting that because a singular price hasn't gone up clearly minimum wage doesn't affect prices is a sham so feeble I have to believe that only someone using a fake name on the internet would advance it. It completely ignores the lost jobs, and lost income due to reduced hours that has left many low wage earners with less money, or none at all.

jediuser598

Post by jediuser598 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 1:16 pm

DBTrek wrote:Where you live is irrelevant to anyone on Earth but you, so I'm not admitting you live anywhere, much less caring.
If you actually do live in Washington state and you're still posting this drivel that's a rather sad commentary on your cognitive abilities, nothing more.

Study, after study, after study has shown that low-wage earners lost jobs and lost hours after the minimum wage increase. Derp. That's *another* way employers tackle the problem. They can raise prices, *or* they can cut labor. In Washington they've largely cut labor - though prices have also been raised. Finding one item on a shelf at your local 7-11 and commenting that because a singular price hasn't gone up clearly minimum wage doesn't affect prices is a sham so feeble I have to believe that only someone using a fake name on the internet would advance it.
Civil debate, or no debate. That's as plain as I can state things, DBtrek.
-Ben Johnson

DBTrek

Post by DBTrek » Fri Jun 02, 2017 1:20 pm

There already is no debate.

"This carton of milk isn't more expensive (one pic, no time stamp, no comparison to the earlier cost of the item, a sample size of one item) therefore raisin minimum wage doesn't affect prices" is not an argument.

It's an easily dismissed claim, which has been dismissed. I'm good with stopping right here, as the chicanery being employed has been adequately refuted.

pineapplemike

Post by pineapplemike » Fri Jun 02, 2017 1:22 pm

The milk science is settled

jediuser598

Post by jediuser598 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 1:28 pm

DBTrek wrote:There already is no debate.

"This carton of milk isn't more expensive (one pic, no time stamp, no comparison to the earlier cost of the item, a sample size of one item) therefore raisin minimum wage doesn't affect prices" is not an argument.

It's an easily dismissed claim, which has been dismissed. I'm good with stopping right here, as the chicanery being employed has been adequately refuted.
Valid criticisms, let me reply with these questions:

What is the price of milk where you live currently?

Let us go for more than one price.

I'll list what the following items are in a second, but that's just showing what I recently spent at the local grocery store on food. A basket of goods, which other users can compare to their prices at their local grocery stores.
-Ben Johnson