Wash state college called for a day without white people

Ex-California

Re: Wash state college called for a day without white people

Post by Ex-California » Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:53 am

DBTrek wrote:I think this guy running the gren taco truck down the block is an IT worker. He hasn't updated his computer in months either. Certified GCF/California tech plus, right there.
:twisted:
We had XP machines running when I started at my job two years ago

We just got rid of two 10.6.8 Macs also.

Now, just to be clear, I'm an updater. Its the semi-autistic MMPORG/DJ 50 year old who runs the broadcast networking side of my department who is the most scared of updates
No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session

Ex-California

Re: Wash state college called for a day without white people

Post by Ex-California » Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:55 am

TheOneX wrote:
California wrote:Since my machines are on a closed network and are used for on-air production we only update in the offseason. We lock our builds in September so we don't get any nasty changes.

So of course, when we ran updates on our VizRT machines this week they broke the key hub software where the designer machine talks to the engine, thus rendering them useless. Viz had a fix for their software but if we would have done this update live when it first came out and Viz hadn't found the fix yet we would have been SOL.

Those updates change a lot more than what you think they are going to on the surface
That is why I said you should test them first. So if you do find out there is an issue you don't collapse your whole system. You then can contact your software provider to get them to get you a fix before you release the update to the whole system. My point is it is poor practice to just turn off updates as a way to avoid system breaking updates (which is what most companies do). The proper practice to avoid system breaking updates is to have a testing environment so you can test the update before you release it to your system. In the off chance it does cause issues you can then hold off until there is a fix, but otherwise you are able to keep your system updated in a timely manner.

As you said though, you are on a closed network. That by itself will make your system more secure than any security updates.
Yeah, I agree with everything you're saying here
No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session