Wash state college called for a day without white people

Ex-California

Re: Wash state college called for a day without white people

Post by Ex-California » Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:07 am

Evergreen College needs to be used for Unit 731 type experiments so we can get on to Mars quicker
No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session

TheOneX

Post by TheOneX » Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:13 am

GrumpyCatFace wrote:
Xenophon wrote:
DBTrek wrote:
I expect IT managers to protect their systems by updating. Microsoft had released a patch that shut WannaCry down *two months* before it hit. That means everyone who got nailed was at least two months behind in patching.
Guess who didn't get hit . . .

. . . AWS/Azure.
;)

(And competent techs)
A lot of the time, IT support guys will disable updates because of the issues that arise sometime (Win10 Creator's update glitches, startup loop, random restarts to apply updates). I save an image of every computer model in the school I work at and use a pxe boot program to re-image machines. I'll update the saved image every three months or so.

No WannaCry at my site, no sirree.
Most IT managers shut down the updates, yeah. Microsoft fucks up as much as it fixes, most times.
As an IT manager, this is freaking stupid. Yes, you should delay and test updates before putting them out to everyone, but that should be done within a week or two of the release. In my opinion, the issue is on the off chance a Microsoft security update does break your software IT managers like to blame Microsoft, but that is the wrong person to blame. If a security update breaks your software the problem is your software was doing something that it most likely should not have been doing, and was creating a security flaw in your network. The blame should be on your software provider for taking shortcuts to make something work, instead of making their software properly so it is as secure as possible. If is your software provider who should be aware of this, and be prepared to get updates to you quickly to fix these security issues in their software.

Since updating my office to Windows 10, there has been only two issues. The first is some of PC would have issues on restart after an update. I eventually figured out the fix for this was a BIOS update. It was annoying, I feel like Dell or Microsoft should have informed us a BIOS update may be necessary so we could have fixed the issue sooner, but the issue wasn't with Microsoft it was with us not having a system in place to make sure the PC drivers and BIOS are always up to date. The other issue is occasionally an update doesn't always like our security software, which I don't like it either, but that isn't my decision. When we discover the security software isn't working, it is a simple fix of pushing out an install of the software to everyone which takes all of maybe 5 minutes. Yes, it is an inconvenience, but since Windows 10 has Defender by default (major reason why I pushed to get all our PCs upgraded while it was free) it is nothing more than a minor inconvenience in order to keep the PCs secure.

We actually recently sold to another company. They still have everyone on Windows 7(stupid), which has been a pain in my ass because it has caused me to have to downgrade PCs after we upgraded them to Windows 10. They do not have a process for getting updates installed in a timely manner, so when the latest software attack happened they were scrambling all day to get PCs up-to-date. Meanwhile in my office, I read the article, and spent the rest of the day relaxing knowing all my PCs were not vulnerable to the exploit.

Ex-California

Post by Ex-California » Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:21 am

Since my machines are on a closed network and are used for on-air production we only update in the offseason. We lock our builds in September so we don't get any nasty changes.

So of course, when we ran updates on our VizRT machines this week they broke the key hub software where the designer machine talks to the engine, thus rendering them useless. Viz had a fix for their software but if we would have done this update live when it first came out and Viz hadn't found the fix yet we would have been SOL.

Those updates change a lot more than what you think they are going to on the surface
No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:29 am

I'm starting to think that a majority of MHFers are in IT... Starting a poll.

viewtopic.php?f=64&t=2169
Last edited by SuburbanFarmer on Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

DBTrek

Post by DBTrek » Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:30 am

I dunno guys.
Y'all go over two months without updating like a bunch of lazy-ass millennials, do you really count as "tech" people? I mean, shit, anybody can *not* update their computers for months at a time. Doesn't take any skill or degree to do that.
;)
"Hey varmints, don't mess with a guy that's riding a buffalo"

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:48 am

Implying millenials even know how to prevent Windows from updating while they aren't looking

DBTrek

Post by DBTrek » Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:50 am

I think this guy running the green taco truck down the block is an IT worker. He hasn't updated his computer in months either. Certified GCF/California tech plus, right there.
:twisted:
"Hey varmints, don't mess with a guy that's riding a buffalo"

TheOneX

Post by TheOneX » Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:51 am

California wrote:Since my machines are on a closed network and are used for on-air production we only update in the offseason. We lock our builds in September so we don't get any nasty changes.

So of course, when we ran updates on our VizRT machines this week they broke the key hub software where the designer machine talks to the engine, thus rendering them useless. Viz had a fix for their software but if we would have done this update live when it first came out and Viz hadn't found the fix yet we would have been SOL.

Those updates change a lot more than what you think they are going to on the surface
That is why I said you should test them first. So if you do find out there is an issue you don't collapse your whole system. You then can contact your software provider to get them to get you a fix before you release the update to the whole system. My point is it is poor practice to just turn off updates as a way to avoid system breaking updates (which is what most companies do). The proper practice to avoid system breaking updates is to have a testing environment so you can test the update before you release it to your system. In the off chance it does cause issues you can then hold off until there is a fix, but otherwise you are able to keep your system updated in a timely manner.

As you said though, you are on a closed network. That by itself will make your system more secure than any security updates.

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:51 am

DBTrek wrote:I think this guy running the green taco truck down the block is an IT worker. He hasn't updated his computer in months either. Certified GCF/California tech plus, right there.
:twisted:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:52 am

TheOneX wrote:
California wrote:Since my machines are on a closed network and are used for on-air production we only update in the offseason. We lock our builds in September so we don't get any nasty changes.

That is why I said you should test them first. So if you do find out there is an issue you don't collapse your whole system. You then can contact your software provider to get them to get you a fix before you release the update to the whole system. My point is it is poor practice to just turn off updates as a way to avoid system breaking updates (which is what most companies do). The proper practice to avoid system breaking updates is to have a testing environment so you can test the update before you release it to your system. In the off chance it does cause issues you can then hold off until there is a fix, but otherwise you are able to keep your system updated in a timely manner.

As you said though, you are on a closed network. That by itself will make your system more secure than any security updates.
We use an update server to dish them out. They're tested and approved one at a time, before release to the company network.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace