Wash state college called for a day without white people

SuburbanFarmer

Re: Wash state college called for a day without white people

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:05 am

DBTrek wrote:
GrumpyCatFace wrote:I work in IT for a NASA contractor. We're currently looking at using AWS for our offsite data backups (encrypted, of course), but I'm extremely skeptical of using it for anything more than that. I don't like the idea of using someone else's computer for sensitive data. I am 110% sure that I'm not alone on this.
I'm 100% sure that AWS and AZURE cloud servers are up to date with their security, whereas the government, and government contractors in particular, have among the worst records for keeping data secure in the history of the modern world.
/shrug
Depends on the size of the organization, just like anywhere. Lockmart has a few hundred thousand security holes (employees) vs. smaller businesses.
The infrastructure is almost never to blame.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:07 pm

BroGrump ignores my trolling

:cry:
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

DBTrek

Post by DBTrek » Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:09 pm

GrumpyCatFace wrote:Depends on the size of the organization, just like anywhere. Lockmart has a few hundred thousand security holes (employees) vs. smaller businesses.
HAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!

Right.

WannaCry wasn't an infrastructure problem . . . you know .. . like a bunch of lazy government and hospital network admins running outdated software and a twenty year old SMBv1 protocol. It was a people problem! The fewer people in the organization, the fewer unmonitored SMBv1 ports on the network infrastructure.

Dude, you know better.
Ate least, you SHOULD know better.
"Hey varmints, don't mess with a guy that's riding a buffalo"

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:56 pm

DBTrek wrote:
GrumpyCatFace wrote:Depends on the size of the organization, just like anywhere. Lockmart has a few hundred thousand security holes (employees) vs. smaller businesses.
HAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!

Right.

WannaCry wasn't an infrastructure problem . . . you know .. . like a bunch of lazy government and hospital network admins running outdated software and a twenty year old SMBv1 protocol. It was a people problem! The fewer people in the organization, the fewer unmonitored SMBv1 ports on the network infrastructure.

Dude, you know better.
Ate least, you SHOULD know better.
WannaCry is a perfect example. Who's responsible for letting a fucking weaponized NSA virus out into the wild? And who's responsible for the backdoors that are being installed on every computer?

(I don't do security anyway. I support their business systems. ) but how can you expect IT managers to protect against the government? It's the equivalent of telling a security guard to stop the police and military.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

DBTrek

Post by DBTrek » Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:10 pm

GrumpyCatFace wrote:WannaCry is a perfect example. Who's responsible for letting a fucking weaponized NSA virus out into the wild? And who's responsible for the backdoors that are being installed on every computer?

(I don't do security anyway. I support their business systems. ) but how can you expect IT managers to protect against the government? It's the equivalent of telling a security guard to stop the police and military.
I expect IT managers to protect their systems by updating. Microsoft had released a patch that shut WannaCry down *two months* before it hit. That means everyone who got nailed was at least two months behind in patching.
Guess who didn't get hit . . .

. . . AWS/Azure.
;)

(And competent techs)
"Hey varmints, don't mess with a guy that's riding a buffalo"

Xenophon

Post by Xenophon » Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:34 pm

DBTrek wrote:
GrumpyCatFace wrote:WannaCry is a perfect example. Who's responsible for letting a fucking weaponized NSA virus out into the wild? And who's responsible for the backdoors that are being installed on every computer?

I expect IT managers to protect their systems by updating. Microsoft had released a patch that shut WannaCry down *two months* before it hit. That means everyone who got nailed was at least two months behind in patching.

. . . AWS/Azure.
;)

(And competent techs)
A lot of the time, IT support guys will disable updates because of the issues that arise sometime (Win10 Creator's update glitches, startup loop, random restarts to apply updates). I save an image of every computer model in the school I work at and use a pxe boot program to re-image machines. I'll update the saved image every three months or so.

No WannaCry at my site, no sirree.

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Tue Jun 06, 2017 3:20 pm

Xenophon wrote:
DBTrek wrote:

. . . AWS/Azure.
;)

(And competent techs)
A lot of the time, IT support guys will disable updates because of the issues that arise sometime (Win10 Creator's update glitches, startup loop, random restarts to apply updates). I save an image of every computer model in the school I work at and use a pxe boot program to re-image machines. I'll update the saved image every three months or so.

No WannaCry at my site, no sirree.
Most IT managers shut down the updates, yeah. Microsoft fucks up as much as it fixes, most times.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

Fife

Post by Fife » Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:56 am

Worthy of a laff or two:

https://heatst.com/culture-wars/evergre ... the-flies/

This coming fall, for example, you can take a number of classes that count as biology, but actually aren’t biology at all. They include, as the Daily Caller found, Reproduction: Gender, Race and Power, but also Dancing Molecules, Dancing Bodies, where you’ll use the art of dance to communicate with your body and understand the chemical processes within.

If that’s not up your alley, perhaps you would prefer Actions and their Consequences, which will “examine local, national, and international policy issues of the postcolonial and neocolonial world in education, health care, social welfare and environmentalism” through a series of “interdisciplinary” lectures. That class will eventually gather and design “projects to address issues of unequal distributions of power.”

If math and economics are more your style, there are plenty of social justice-tinged options for you. Advocating for Sustainable Culture is considered a math course (you even get to do field trips!), as is Dimensions for Inequality and Options for Change.

And lest you think you’d have to abandon your progressive politics for a class in something seemingly objective, like physics, fear not! Under the “physics” catalog offerings, there’s Defending Mother Earth: Science, Energy and Native Peoples.

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:07 am

Fife wrote:Worthy of a laff or two:

https://heatst.com/culture-wars/evergre ... the-flies/

This coming fall, for example, you can take a number of classes that count as biology, but actually aren’t biology at all. They include, as the Daily Caller found, Reproduction: Gender, Race and Power, but also Dancing Molecules, Dancing Bodies, where you’ll use the art of dance to communicate with your body and understand the chemical processes within.

If that’s not up your alley, perhaps you would prefer Actions and their Consequences, which will “examine local, national, and international policy issues of the postcolonial and neocolonial world in education, health care, social welfare and environmentalism” through a series of “interdisciplinary” lectures. That class will eventually gather and design “projects to address issues of unequal distributions of power.”

If math and economics are more your style, there are plenty of social justice-tinged options for you. Advocating for Sustainable Culture is considered a math course (you even get to do field trips!), as is Dimensions for Inequality and Options for Change.

And lest you think you’d have to abandon your progressive politics for a class in something seemingly objective, like physics, fear not! Under the “physics” catalog offerings, there’s Defending Mother Earth: Science, Energy and Native Peoples.

:shock:
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:46 am

Fucking clown college.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace