Au Revoir, Paris Accord?

ssu

Re: Au Revoir, Paris Accord?

Post by ssu » Sun Jun 04, 2017 4:08 am

Smitty-48 wrote:Here in Ontario, 10¢ per killowatt hour is astronomically expensive, in Quebec, they pay 3¢ per kilowatt hour, we're not competing with Denmark, we don't care how expensive power is in Denmark, what matters here, is how much is it in the US and Mexico, we don't care what France pays neither, but compared to Quebec, France is paying a ridiculous price, 19¢/killowatt hour is highway robbery, that's six times the market rate here, because the market rate for hydro, is 3¢

Obviously if France was in an integrated market with the Americans as we are, charging 19¢/killowatt hour, every business in France would pick up and move to the USA.
The simple reason that you have cheap energy is geography: you have a lot of hydropower. And basically everything when it comes to energy resources.

Canada is the fourth largest producer of energy after the US, China, Russia and Saudi-Arabia. With the fraction of the people of three of them. So believe it or not, you have low prices, Your the largest exporter of energy to the largest consumer of energy, Trumpland.

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:09 am

California wrote:
TheReal_ND wrote:Some areas of Mexico are getting like 8-10% economic growth over the past decade
This is the catch-22, as more jobs are created in Mexico there is less impetus for illegals to come here.
You would think that but it's slightly off set by the fact they are happy to send people that don't want to work over here to be taken care of for free. I think close to half of illegals are from other, much worse countries anyway.

Ex-California

Post by Ex-California » Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:11 am

TheReal_ND wrote:
California wrote:
TheReal_ND wrote:Some areas of Mexico are getting like 8-10% economic growth over the past decade
This is the catch-22, as more jobs are created in Mexico there is less impetus for illegals to come here.
You would think that but it's slightly off set by the fact they are happy to send people that don't want to work over here to be taken care of for free. I think close to half of illegals are from other, much worse countries anyway.
Yeah, they have a big problem on their southern border as well
No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session

Penner

Post by Penner » Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:24 am

clubgop wrote:
jbird4049 wrote:
TheReal_ND wrote:You're pants on head retarded.

No. Youre fucking programmed. You can't explain why you want to import the world instead of letting the population equalize to normative levels. You're a faggot and a half if you think importing people into a society where they have more access to resources is going to help the environment.
Please argue with what I said and not with an imaginary someone. The last thing I am is a open borders supporter, and you will not find any comments by me supporting open borders especially wide open borders.
Challenge accepted.
What point? Worldwide temps are rising, glaciers are melting, the poles are getting warmer, Pittsburgh has greatly improved their own environment and also has moved on from their Steel Mill days, etc....

Fife

Post by Fife » Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:58 am

Oh my God it's full of #Winning

The First Impact of the Climate Deal Withdrawal
The real, measurable impacts of Trump’s decision to pull out of the Paris climate agreement are going to be few and far between, but the first one we’ve seen thus far has been a drop in the price of oil.
. . .

But perceptions matter to markets, and Trump’s announcement yesterday has further strengthened analysts’ belief that this Administration will do everything it can to help out America’s oil and gas industry (even though the natural gas boom is responsible for knocking Old King Coal off his throne in the U.S.).

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:04 am

Coal will always have uses though. It may not be "king" (probably a good thing,) but at least it's not prohibited now.

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:18 am

ssu wrote:
StCapps wrote:I don't care the reason that Trump made a smart decision, I just care he made the right call. Who cares if he did it for self-interested reasons and not just to do the American people a solid? A win is a win.
Lol.

I guess people don't know what the Paris Accord was and believe the crap that Trump talked about it to be.

That all countries except two had signed it ought to make it clear that there actually isn't much anything binding in it in the first place...
each country determines its own contribution it should make in order to mitigate global warming. There is no mechanism to force a country to set a specific target by a specific date.
So Trump simply could have changed just what the "contribution" of the US is. But as I said, Trump (thanks to Bannon) portrayed himself as defending (somehow) the US against everybody else (that assumably were laughing at the US) for his clueless base. And the best thing, he got the much needed condemnation from other countries that will make him popular among his most loyal supporters.
The Paris Accord was stupid, and it helps America to withdraw. America gains no benefits from staying, so what was the point of even signing in the first place? Obama wanted to pander to his envirobolshie base, that's why, so he signed a token agreement. Fuck them and the horse they rode in on, if they are upset that the token agreement won't be honored, that's a good thing. Other countries complaining that they are bigger rubes than the US when it comes to green energy because they are still in the stupid ass Paris Accord, that's also a good thing.
*yip*

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:27 am

ssu wrote: So believe it or not, you have low prices,
Only compared to backwards shit holes like Europe, 12¢ a kilowatt hour is not a low price where I come from, and the prices have risen precipitously, bear in mind, I enjoy my extravagant lifestyle, I have no desire to live like a European peon, moreover, low price power was the basis of the Ontario manufacturing sector, if we go to European pricing, that will be the end of that.
Nec Aspera Terrent

The Conservative

Post by The Conservative » Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:30 am

Smitty-48 wrote:
ssu wrote: So believe it or not, you have low prices,
Only compared to backwards shit holes like Europe, 12¢ a kilowatt hour is not a low price where I come from, and the prices have risen precipitously, bear in mind, I enjoy my extravagant lifestyle, I have no desire to live like a European peon, moreover, low price power was the basis of the Ontario manufacturing sector, if we go to European pricing, that will be the end of that.
I'd love to see 12 cents. In Mass you are between 18 to 25
#NotOneRedCent

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:35 am

We got people here who were averaging $250 for hydro, suddenly getting charged $1000, so what I would say to Americans is; be forewarned, this is what comes of Green Energy and Carbon Pricing.

Whatever you're paying now; quadruple it.
Nec Aspera Terrent