BREAKING NEWS

BjornP

Re: BREAKING NEWS

Post by BjornP » Sat Feb 29, 2020 1:44 pm

When the Afghan government collapses after this, I wonder if the Saudis could be eyeing the Taliban government as a potential allies against future plans against Iran. Would make a certain kind of sense. Religious-ideologically of similar stock, and nothing brings together people around a new regime like a nice, little holy war (where one can dole out territory to potential disgruntled but useful factions, warlords, etc.).
Fame is not flattery. Respect is not agreement.

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Sat Feb 29, 2020 1:49 pm

BjornP wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 1:44 pm
When the Afghan government collapses after this, I wonder if the Saudis could be eyeing the Taliban government as a potential allies against future plans against Iran. Would make a certain kind of sense. Religious-ideologically of similar stock, and nothing brings together people around a new regime like a nice, little holy war (where one can dole out territory to potential disgruntled but useful factions, warlords, etc.).
They already do. Saudi+Gulf States have been funding Taliban shit in that region for decades. Taliban practice Deobandism which is like a Pashtun version of Wahhabism. Saudis give them money the same way Christians in Denmark or America give money to Christian missionary projects overseas in Africa. Taliban go after the Hazara which are Shia in Afghanistan, plus Afghanistan borders Iran to the East so it is strategically important. In 2001, Iran's consulate got killed in Afghanistan, and Iran massed 100,000 troops at the border and nearly invaded. Saudi Arabia would love to use Afghanistan to fuck with Iran. Since the Taliban are Sunni Muslims just like the Saudis, they are the default allies in that country..
Shikata ga nai

BjornP

Post by BjornP » Sat Feb 29, 2020 2:10 pm

heydaralon wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 1:49 pm
BjornP wrote:
They already do. Saudi+Gulf States have been funding Taliban shit in that region for decades. Taliban practice Deobandism which is like a Pashtun version of Wahhabism. Saudis give them money the same way Christians in Denmark or America give money to Christian missionary projects overseas in Africa. Taliban go after the Hazara which are Shia in Afghanistan, plus Afghanistan borders Iran to the East so it is strategically important. In 2001, Iran's consulate got killed in Afghanistan, and Iran massed 100,000 troops at the border and nearly invaded. Saudi Arabia would love to use Afghanistan to fuck with Iran. Since the Taliban are Sunni Muslims just like the Saudis, they are the default allies in that country..
Ah, cheers for the info. Makes me feel all insightful now just by guessing shit. :D Here's to hoping for no new forever wars for your soldiers for a long while.
Fame is not flattery. Respect is not agreement.

Hastur

Post by Hastur » Sat Feb 29, 2020 2:35 pm

Oh please God let that happen. Iran in Afghanistan against Saudi backed Taliban would be the perfect payback for Yemen.
Let dog eat dog.

An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur? - Axel Oxenstierna

Nie lügen die Menschen so viel wie nach einer Jagd, während eines Krieges oder vor Wahlen. - Otto von Bismarck

Hastur

Post by Hastur » Sat Feb 29, 2020 2:38 pm

Just the clear I feel sorry for the Afghan people but they are fucked either way. Sunk cost at this stage.

An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur? - Axel Oxenstierna

Nie lügen die Menschen so viel wie nach einer Jagd, während eines Krieges oder vor Wahlen. - Otto von Bismarck

clubgop

Post by clubgop » Sun Mar 01, 2020 6:05 pm

BjornP wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 2:10 pm
heydaralon wrote:
BjornP wrote:
Ah, cheers for the info. Makes me feel all insightful now just by guessing shit. :D Here's to hoping for no new forever wars for your soldiers for a long while.
Could you all please look at a topographical map of the Iran-Afghan border. Neither one is invading the other. Harassment and interdiction at best. From Afghanistan you can give Iran mild headaches, an existential threat, not even close.

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Sun Mar 01, 2020 8:55 pm

clubgop wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 6:05 pm
BjornP wrote:
heydaralon wrote:

Could you all please look at a topographical map of the Iran-Afghan border. Neither one is invading the other. Harassment and interdiction at best. From Afghanistan you can give Iran mild headaches, an existential threat, not even close.
No one brought up an invasion...
Just a diplomatic incident 20 years ago that could have turned hostile.

Looks like I got a couple things wrong.

It was in '98 and it was less than 100,000 troops.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1998_kill ... fghanistan

Whatevs it really pissed off Iran at that time.
Shikata ga nai

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:31 pm

heydaralon wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 8:55 pm
clubgop wrote:
BjornP wrote:

Tbhf I would appreciate it if you changed your sig to something less disgusting.

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Mon Mar 02, 2020 4:32 am

TheReal_ND wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:31 pm
heydaralon wrote:
clubgop wrote:

Tbhf I would appreciate it if you changed your sig to something less disgusting.
Do you really hate Asian women that much?
Shikata ga nai

The Conservative

Post by The Conservative » Mon Mar 02, 2020 4:42 am

heydaralon wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 4:32 am
TheReal_ND wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:31 pm
heydaralon wrote:

Do you really hate Asian women that much?
Don't be obtuse.
#NotOneRedCent