The Destroyer of All Western Values

kybkh

The Destroyer of All Western Values

Post by kybkh » Tue May 30, 2017 7:33 am

>tfw when a German politician says Trump is "the destroyer of all Western values"..."One must stand in the way of such a man with his ideology of rearmament,"

http://in.reuters.com/article/usa-germa ... ce=twitter
“I've got a phone that allows me to convene Americans from every walk of life, nonprofits, businesses, the private sector, universities to try to bring more and more Americans together around what I think is a unifying theme..." - Obama

The Conservative

Re: The Destroyer of All Western Values

Post by The Conservative » Tue May 30, 2017 7:36 am

So Trump is calling out the imbalance in NATO funding, that Germany isn't carrying it's fair share... heaven forbid someone who dips their toes in the pool pay their fare share.
#NotOneRedCent

Ex-California

Post by Ex-California » Tue May 30, 2017 8:00 am

No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Tue May 30, 2017 12:44 pm

The Conservative wrote:So Trump is calling out the imbalance in NATO funding, that Germany isn't carrying it's fair share... heaven forbid someone who dips their toes in the pool pay their fare share.
Just happened to have this readily available
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

The Conservative

Post by The Conservative » Tue May 30, 2017 1:05 pm

C-Mag wrote:
The Conservative wrote:So Trump is calling out the imbalance in NATO funding, that Germany isn't carrying it's fair share... heaven forbid someone who dips their toes in the pool pay their fare share.
So if we dropped it by 1.61 it be on par for the 2% requirement? I'm game...
#NotOneRedCent

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Tue May 30, 2017 1:09 pm

The Conservative wrote:
C-Mag wrote:
So if we dropped it by 1.61 it be on par for the 2% requirement? I'm game...
Yep, and I'd go farther than that. I would tally up our excess payments to NATO for the last decade and tell NATO in their new glass house that we consider ourselves paid up for the next X number of years that those over payments cover us. Put that money straight into our own infrastructure, or if it needs to be spent on security.................... we could pick something else like the border wall or military facility deferred maintenance.
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

Hastur

Post by Hastur » Tue May 30, 2017 1:12 pm

C-Mag wrote:
Does that include all US defense spending? The cost for the nuclear arsenal is under the department of energy now. I think VA is beside as well. What else?

An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur? - Axel Oxenstierna

Nie lügen die Menschen so viel wie nach einer Jagd, während eines Krieges oder vor Wahlen. - Otto von Bismarck

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Tue May 30, 2017 1:26 pm

Hastur wrote:Does that include all US defense spending? The cost for the nuclear arsenal is under the department of energy now. I think VA is beside as well. What else?
Why would you conflate overall military spending with what is spent on NATO? The Americans don't spend it all on NATO, far from it, contrary to the jib-jabber-blubbering of American goober hayseeds, the United States only spends $460 million on the actual NATO budget, what a country spends on its defense department and what a country actually contributes to NATO; not the same thing.

There's nothing in the Washington Treaty which stipulates that the Americans must send their entire military to support NATO, quite the opposite in fact.
Nec Aspera Terrent

The Conservative

Post by The Conservative » Tue May 30, 2017 1:29 pm

Smitty-48 wrote:
Hastur wrote:Does that include all US defense spending? The cost for the nuclear arsenal is under the department of energy now. I think VA is beside as well. What else?
Why would you conflate overall military spending with what is spent on NATO? The Americans don't spend it all on NATO, far from it, contrary to the jib-jabber-blubbering of American goober hayseeds, the United States only spends $460 million on the actual NATO budget, what a country spends on its defense department and what a country actually contributes to NATO; not the same thing.

There's nothing in the Washington Treaty which stipulates that the Americans must send their entire military to support NATO, quite the opposite in fact.
460 Million on NATO, and we get what out of it...? A wagged finger at because we don't play ball? Cripes... give me a break.
#NotOneRedCent

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Tue May 30, 2017 1:35 pm

The Conservative wrote:460 Million on NATO, and we get what out of it...? A wagged finger at because we don't play ball? Cripes... give me a break.
Go ahead and take a break, goober, take a lap too, there's no country in NATO which hasn't met its obligations to the NATO budget, regardless of what they spend overall, if you want to be the first NATO country not to meet its obligations to NATO, go right ahead, NATO is not a country, nobody answers to NATO, it's just a headquarters in Brussels, big whoop.
Nec Aspera Terrent