Woman falsely accuses man of rape, he gets 4 years in prison and only $90k in compensation. She serves a weekend

Ex-California

Woman falsely accuses man of rape, he gets 4 years in prison and only $90k in compensation. She serves a weekend

Post by Ex-California » Mon May 15, 2017 3:39 am

No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session

Speaker to Animals

Re: Woman falsely accuses man of rape, he gets 4 years in prison and only $90k in compensation. She serves a weekend

Post by Speaker to Animals » Mon May 15, 2017 9:08 am

Think of what the judge just admitted there.

Okeefenokee

Re: Woman falsely accuses man of rape, he gets 4 years in prison and only $90k in compensation. She serves a weekend

Post by Okeefenokee » Mon May 15, 2017 10:07 am

90k/4.5yrs = 20k/yr

Adding insult to injury.
GrumpyCatFace wrote:Dumb slut partied too hard and woke up in a weird house. Ran out the door, weeping for her failed life choices, concerned townsfolk notes her appearance and alerted the fuzz.

viewtopic.php?p=60751#p60751

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Mon May 15, 2017 10:10 am

Listen to the judge's reasoning, though. That's the terrifying part of it. He makes a good case for why they might need to barely punish women for making false rape allegations that result in imprisonment. That sentence was more of a condemnation of the criminal justice system than anything else.

jbird4049

Post by jbird4049 » Mon May 15, 2017 10:23 am

More rape victims are either ignored completely, or are never adequately investigate than are people falsely accusing others of rape.

But it sucks that both happens. It seems that people either believe everyone who accuse others of rape, or just automatically dismiss them. A weekend in jail, and just 90K is pathetic though. Just an insult, and pathetic.
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Mon May 15, 2017 10:30 am

jbird4049 wrote:More rape victims are either ignored completely, or are never adequately investigate than are people falsely accusing others of rape.
Source?
GrumpyCatFace wrote:Dumb slut partied too hard and woke up in a weird house. Ran out the door, weeping for her failed life choices, concerned townsfolk notes her appearance and alerted the fuzz.

viewtopic.php?p=60751#p60751

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Mon May 15, 2017 10:34 am

jbird4049 wrote:More rape victims are either ignored completely, or are never adequately investigate than are people falsely accusing others of rape.

But it sucks that both happens. It seems that people either believe everyone who accuse others of rape, or just automatically dismiss them. A weekend in jail, and just 90K is pathetic though. Just an insult, and pathetic.

I don't think you can possibly back such a statement up or even refute it.

In truth, it's probably quite a lot of both going on. Every time some prosecutor or police chief retires and admits that false rape allegations are a huge problem, it becomes apparent that we need reform. Same as when we see stories of men getting imprisoned for rape based only on the testimony of the woman and no physical evidence or witnesses.

The fact that you can go to prison for many years based on the word of a woman is frightening. Don't pretend that's not the case. I would hope a jury would require some physical evidence or witnesses. After all, they are supposed to convict only when there exists no reasonable doubt to the defendant's innocence, and you can't possibly argue no such doubt exists when all you have is the her word against his word.

jbird4049

Post by jbird4049 » Mon May 15, 2017 10:41 am

Speaker to Animals wrote:

In truth, it's probably quite a lot of both going on. Every time some prosecutor or police chief retires and admits that false rape allegations are a huge problem, it becomes apparent that we need reform. Same as when we see stories of men getting imprisoned for rape based only on the testimony of the woman and no physical evidence or witnesses.

The fact that you can go to prison for many years based on the word of a woman is frightening. Don't pretend that's not the case. I would hope a jury would require some physical evidence or witnesses. After all, they are supposed to convict only when there exists no reasonable doubt to the defendant's innocence, and you can't possibly argue no such doubt exists when all you have is the her word against his word.
Too many rapes happen where there are no witnesses. That is what rapists do, and rape is a dark, evil appearance of sex, so it becomes she said/he said.
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

katarn

Post by katarn » Mon May 15, 2017 10:53 am

jbird4049 wrote:
Speaker to Animals wrote:

Too many rapes happen where there are no witnesses. That is what rapists do, and rape is a dark, evil appearance of sex, so it becomes she said/he said.
Which leads to the problem of convictions. How does the jury decide between something being a rape, a regret case, or even wholly fabricated? When it's he said she said, I don't know that they can.
"Stone walls do not a prison make, nor iron bars a cage...
If I have freedom in my love
And in my soul am free,
Angels alone that soar above
Enjoy such Liberty" - Richard Lovelace

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Mon May 15, 2017 11:16 am

They cannot. A woman needs to get to a rape kit to collect physical evidence. It sucks, but I'd rather not live in a society where I can be imprisoned for years based on the false testimony of a woman.