Steel – An American Dream

de officiis

Post by de officiis » Sat May 13, 2017 3:17 pm

Steel – An American Dream is a multimedia documentary project by photographer Chris Zarconi. The project explores the steel manufacturing industry in the Ohio River Valley and focuses on the towns of Youngstown, OH and Weirton, WV. Through still photos, a documentary film, conversations with steelworkers, research, and exploration, Steel – An American Dream presents an unfettered look into the promise of the American steel industry, the impact of that promise, and the results of that promise. Take a journey through the moments gathered in this project and explore Industry, Economy, and The American Dream.
http://steeldocumentary.zarconiphoto.com

Only a few photographs so far, but apparently more content is forthcoming.

TheReal_ND

Re: Steel – An American Dream

Post by TheReal_ND » Sat May 13, 2017 8:20 pm

I've always felt it was an interesting history. I know a lot about it but there is a lot I don't know.

heydaralon

Re: Steel – An American Dream

Post by heydaralon » Sat May 13, 2017 8:42 pm

A lot of towns in the Rust Belt used to be Steel towns. People look at them now and don't understand that years ago they were thriving places. Gary Indiana has become a source of ridicule, but I believe at one one point it had the largest Steel Mill in the world. Personally, I think the Steel Industry is important to National Security, and should be maintained even at a loss. Its one of those things like farming that is easy to sneer at, but it is actually quite essential to modern life and the status quo we have set up.
Shikata ga nai