Speaker to Animals wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:16 pm
heydaralon wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:22 pm
I'm watching Starship Troopers atm.

Great film great message for today.

"Naked force has solved more issues than any other factor in human history>"

-Michael Ironside

Bugs are a threat, and they are everywhere.
You really need to read the novel. The film was Hollywood's attempt at shitting on the famous novel, but fucking it up Archie Bunker-style, causing people to just love the cheese. The novel has nothing to do with the movie, really. Half of it is just a political treatise anyway.
Never read any Heinlen, have heard its a classic though. Movie definitely made Fascism pretty cool. Pinochet Troopers killing bugs. the only good bug is a dead bug.
Shikata ga nai

Speaker to Animals

Re: Comey the Criminal - You're Fired

Post by Speaker to Animals » Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:47 pm

heydaralon wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:07 pm
Speaker to Animals wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:16 pm
heydaralon wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:22 pm
I'm watching Starship Troopers atm.

Great film great message for today.

"Naked force has solved more issues than any other factor in human history>"

-Michael Ironside

Bugs are a threat, and they are everywhere.
You really need to read the novel. The film was Hollywood's attempt at shitting on the famous novel, but fucking it up Archie Bunker-style, causing people to just love the cheese. The novel has nothing to do with the movie, really. Half of it is just a political treatise anyway.
Never read any Heinlen, have heard its a classic though. Movie definitely made Fascism pretty cool. Pinochet Troopers killing bugs. the only good bug is a dead bug.
The political philosophy of the novel is not fascist at all, though. Libs hate it because he correctly identified the mistake in a democracy is giving non-warriors a vote. They fucking hate that with a passion because deep down most men in particular regret not serving, and most women deep down they believe they are not cut out for it (even though most could handle it fine).

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:48 am

heydaralon wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:07 pm
This is why Hollywood has only ever made a satirical movie version.

The movie is supposed to be critique.

They're making fun of the book, which is why hardcore fans of the book don't like the movie.

And this is why Hollywood won't put the kind of resources into an ST reboot that they do for leftist sci-fi/fantasy.

Marvel Comics is McGovernism. Starship Troopers is Nixonian.
Nec Aspera Terrent

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:57 am

That's not the flaw in the movie for me, I like Veerhoeven, Robocop in Space doesn't bother me.

The flaw in the movie is no Space Armor.

In the movie they land in boats like Marines.

But Starship Troopers are not Space Marines.

They drop, like Paratroopers. Airborne.

If you tried to land space troops by boat, the boats would get shot down before they ever reached the objective.

Starship Troopers are like MIRV's from an ICBM. They shower the target, dispersed for survivability.

The other part is the bounding.

Once they hit the DZ, they move in tactical bounds, hopping, low to the ground, rather than flying.

It's the most tactical sci-fi book ever. That's why infantrymen like it.
Nec Aspera Terrent

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:16 am

Alastair Reynolds does an homage to Starship Troopers in his short story collection Galactic North.

The MIRV'd Space Trooper assault from orbit unto the Great Wall of Mars.

Except the target is "The Conjoiners", which is a Communist Space Cult instead of Communist Space Bugs.

And of course Reynolds is a British lefty.

So in his version the Communist Space Cult are the good guys and the Starship Troopers are the baddies.
Nec Aspera Terrent

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Wed May 01, 2019 12:43 pm

Comey is starting to look nervous.
He's now penning op-eds and attacking former allies he once defended.

Accomplished people lacking inner strength can’t resist the compromises necessary to survive this president...…………….……..how could Rod Rosenstein, the deputy attorney general, after the release of Mr. Mueller’s report that detailed Mr. Trump’s determined efforts to obstruct justice, give a speech quoting the president on the importance of the rule of law? Or on resigning, thank a president who relentlessly attacked both him and the Department of Justice he led for “the courtesy and humor you often display in our personal conversations”?...…………..

And then you are lost. He has eaten your soul.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/01/opin ... -ios-share
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

Haumana

Post by Haumana » Wed May 01, 2019 3:15 pm

C-Mag wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 12:43 pm
Comey is starting to look nervous.
He's now penning op-eds and attacking former allies he once defended.

Accomplished people lacking inner strength can’t resist the compromises necessary to survive this president...…………….……..how could Rod Rosenstein, the deputy attorney general, after the release of Mr. Mueller’s report that detailed Mr. Trump’s determined efforts to obstruct justice, give a speech quoting the president on the importance of the rule of law? Or on resigning, thank a president who relentlessly attacked both him and the Department of Justice he led for “the courtesy and humor you often display in our personal conversations”?...…………..

And then you are lost. He has eaten your soul.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/01/opin ... -ios-share
If there is only one to go down out of all of this, I hope it is Comey, even more than Hillary at this point. Fuck that guy.

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Wed May 01, 2019 3:31 pm

Haumana wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 3:15 pm

If there is only one to go down out of all of this, I hope it is Comey, even more than Hillary at this point. Fuck that guy.
+1

I'm actually not a big fan of going after Hillary and Obama, don't get me wrong, they are guilty AF. But I think it creates problems for the nation as a whole that would be greater than the reward.

Lock up Comey, Brennan, Clapper, Rice, McCabe and Strzok. We can survive bad politicians, but we can't survive the our nations Justice and Federal Law Enforcement being turned into political police.
PLATA O PLOMO

Hastur

Post by Hastur » Thu May 02, 2019 5:44 am

Time to go full Roman and start penning Proscription lists? That'll end well.

An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur? - Axel Oxenstierna

Nie lügen die Menschen so viel wie nach einer Jagd, während eines Krieges oder vor Wahlen. - Otto von Bismarck

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Thu May 02, 2019 9:46 am

When you're over the target you take flak. It's easy to see when there is a person in Washington that might do you some good, because they come under attack quickly and persistently.

I've had Barr tagged as a swamp creature, probably is, but it's clear the Democrats and Press want him gone ASAP. They are trying to set up a perjury trap with him, and if he doesn't fall for it they will attempt to get him on obstructing Congress or some shit. Which leaves me with the impression they are scared of what he might do as AG.

They even have the press writing stories that Barr should be impeached
http://nymag.com/intelligencer/2019/04/ ... -barr.html
PLATA O PLOMO