Hi Seattle, Excuse me what?

TheReal_ND

Hi Seattle, Excuse me what?

Post by TheReal_ND » Sun May 07, 2017 6:30 pm

https://heatst.com/culture-wars/seattle ... privilege/
The mayor of Seattle has altered the rules of his proposed soda tax — which would fund education for minorities–to include diet drinks because affluent white people tend to consume them more.

Mayor Ed Murray of the staunchly liberal Seattle city originally proposed the soda tax during his state of the city address in February. Under his initial plan, distributors of sugary drinks would have to pay 2 cents per ounce.

The Mayor claimed the tax would bring $16 million in revenue that would be spent on education programs aimed at reducing disparities between the city’s white students and students of color.

But the mayor has updated the plan after the staff of the mayor’s office told him that the tax would actually disproportionately fall on poor minorities, who have higher rates of soda consumption than white residents.

Murray changed the bill, lowering the levy to 1.75 cents per ounce and included diet drinks because they are by favored by affluent white city residents, despite the fact that most diet drinks have no calories and therefore don’t contribute to obesity.
Is this the future you chose? Someone make this make sense to me.

Okeefenokee

Re: Hi Seattle, Excuse me what?

Post by Okeefenokee » Sun May 07, 2017 6:31 pm

:lol:
GrumpyCatFace wrote:Dumb slut partied too hard and woke up in a weird house. Ran out the door, weeping for her failed life choices, concerned townsfolk notes her appearance and alerted the fuzz.

viewtopic.php?p=60751#p60751

Fife

Post by Fife » Sun May 07, 2017 6:33 pm

Just exempt Sprite and Jolly Rancher, yo. Problem solved.

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Sun May 07, 2017 6:34 pm

Fife dude recommends taking drugs. Noted.

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Sun May 07, 2017 6:37 pm

the 16 million will be used to sponsor citywide programs that teach how to commit EBT fraud and which stores will let recipients buy warm food.
Shikata ga nai

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sun May 07, 2017 6:43 pm

Holy shit this guy is a moron.

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Sun May 07, 2017 6:45 pm

They should add a 2 cent tax on menthol cigarettes to compensate for all the shoplifting and looting.
Shikata ga nai

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sun May 07, 2017 6:46 pm

You know what would really hurt white people if you taxed it? Chicken tax. It's time to enact a tax on all chicken products to combat white privilege.

Chicken, soda, and menthol taxes are the trifecta of fuck white people taxes..

Fife

Post by Fife » Sun May 07, 2017 6:52 pm

FFS, dude. I gave up tobacco 14 years ago, and sugary drinks a year or two after that. I'll be fucked if I'm giving up yardbird.

Seriously, WTF is left to live for?

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sun May 07, 2017 6:57 pm

Fife wrote:FFS, dude. I gave up tobacco 14 years ago, and sugary drinks a year or two after that. I'll be fucked if I'm giving up yardbird.

Seriously, WTF is left to live for?

Milk, protein powder, lifting weights.

That shit is universal. Try to tax that and there will be a revolution. They'd unite the races and sexes if they did that shit. It's all in your priorities.

Though taxing soda because they think it will hurt white people and not black people is fucking awesome.