Bye Bye Cassini

Speaker to Animals

Re: Bye Bye Cassini

Post by Speaker to Animals » Mon May 01, 2017 9:41 pm

And I abso-fucking-lutely hate it when you see these fat jackalopes like NGT go on television and talk about these spacecraft like they designed and built them. This guy is a fucking astronomer! He doesn't know how to build jack shit. I doubt he could change the alternator in his fucking Prius.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Mon May 01, 2017 9:43 pm

heydaralon wrote:
Speaker to Animals wrote:The reason I said we should start by mining that one particular rock is that doing so would bankroll the rest of the effort. To colonize, we have to do it with a mind of economic exploitation of space resources.

The way the planetary science crowd thinks.. it's always a sunk cost. If they want to send a space probe to Saturn, they get all this money from the government, tell the engineers to build the fucking thing so they can go on television and take credit for it like they have any idea how to build a spaceship or navigate the thing to fucking Saturn in the first place. Then they get their data, publish their papers, and the tax payers just made their career.

I do not like these people one bit. It's not that I doubt there exists a place for such scientific experimentation. I simply think it should be a tiny fraction of our budget. We need to focus on profitable things.

Space colonization is definitely not an unprofitable venture. We can start profiting right away. You have to kick those bozos out and put engineers in charge.

Do you realize we were about to build nuclear propulsion spaceship in the 1960s? Freemon Dyson was talking about sending human beings in relatively short trips to any planet in the solar system. Not just little spaceships. These things were huge.
Do you have a link to this? I would like to read about it.

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Mon May 01, 2017 10:07 pm

This is the field I am aiming for.

I know it would help if the field had public projects included, but I agree that the feasibility of getting significant funding is low. People want free healthcare, college, housing, etc. They want free shit here and now.

I am hopeful about the private sector taking the lead.

I think the first step is getting more economical launches aimed at getting to resources in space. I wouldn't be too concerned about getting those resources down to Earth right off the bat. Get an infrastructure established in zero G and start building up there. Maybe a solar array in geo-sync that beams down a laser to a pad for energy. That could pay some bills. The space elevator, I think, is what you need to really need to make cash planet side off the project.

These landings give me good vibes,

Watch at seven minutes to see the landing

Watch at 7:20 for this landing,

SpaceX landing,
GrumpyCatFace wrote:Dumb slut partied too hard and woke up in a weird house. Ran out the door, weeping for her failed life choices, concerned townsfolk notes her appearance and alerted the fuzz.

viewtopic.php?p=60751#p60751

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Tue May 02, 2017 8:02 am

heydaralon wrote: How would you actually get the minerals back to Earth without creating a huge impact crater though?
Bolt some parachutes to the lighter side of it, and carefully target a spot in the ocean when you drop it out of orbit. You could do all kinds of things to land it on a dime, using simple fins or protrusions that would burn up during re-entry.

It's nothing like landing a capsule, with delicate little pink things inside it.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Tue May 02, 2017 8:29 am

GrumpyCatFace wrote:
heydaralon wrote: How would you actually get the minerals back to Earth without creating a huge impact crater though?
Bolt some parachutes to the lighter side of it, and carefully target a spot in the ocean when you drop it out of orbit. You could do all kinds of things to land it on a dime, using simple fins or protrusions that would burn up during re-entry.

It's nothing like landing a capsule, with delicate little pink things inside it.

Also, because of the sheer amount of valuable materials on that particular asteroid, it wouldn't even matter much if you burned away half of the block on entry. You'd still eventually collapse other nation's currencies and render their precious metal reserves worthless while paying off the national debt.

I'd just slap a series of parachutes to slow the thing down enough that some of it makes it to the surface and drop it in a shallow body of water like the area between the Everglades and the Keys.

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Tue May 02, 2017 8:30 am

Speaker to Animals wrote:
GrumpyCatFace wrote:

Also, because of the sheer amount of valuable materials on that particular asteroid, it wouldn't even matter much if you burned away half of the block on entry. You'd still eventually collapse other nation's currencies and render their precious metal reserves worthless while paying off the national debt.

I'd just slap a series of parachutes to slow the thing down enough that some of it makes it to the surface and drop it in a shallow body of water like the area between the Everglades and the Keys.
Yeah, no. That's actually a pretty important area.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Tue May 02, 2017 8:32 am

GrumpyCatFace wrote:
GrumpyCatFace wrote:

It wouldn't hurt anything. It's just a rock, dude.

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Tue May 02, 2017 8:40 am

GrumpyCatFace wrote:

Estuaries are pretty critical, man. Floridians know this well.

Now the Great Lakes, on the other hand.. You're already right next to our heavy industrial centers...

The best part about this, is that if we fuck up, it hits Canada. :twisted:

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Tue May 02, 2017 8:47 am

GrumpyCatFace wrote:
GrumpyCatFace wrote: Yeah, no. That's actually a pretty important area.
Estuaries are pretty critical, man. Floridians know this well.

Now the Great Lakes, on the other hand.. You're already right next to our heavy industrial centers...

The best part about this, is that if we fuck up, it hits Canada. :twisted:

I am a Floridian.

I don't think dropping a rock in the water is going to hurt anything.

The great lakes would be okay, but there are urban areas nearby, and even though it's pretty trivial to drop it right where you want, good luck convincing people of it.

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Tue May 02, 2017 9:03 am

What if you could weaponize asteroids the way the bugs did in Starship troopers? Instead of sending a rock to destroy beunos aires, you could launch one at the caliphate or islamabad. Riyadh wouldn't be a bad choice either lol

If the UN tried to call you on it, you just blame the bugs. "It was that big fucker with the brain straw. The one that killed Denise Richard's boyfriend! It was him!"
Shikata ga nai