Bye Bye Cassini

heydaralon

Re: Bye Bye Cassini

Post by heydaralon » Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:39 am

Okeefenokee wrote: If you were born one hundred years from now into a highly automated world where the very few people who were needed to work were only devoted to keeping the system running to support the large majority of humanity that does no work, which would you prefer?

1. Operating the replicator to support people who do nothing for you in return

2. Sitting on your ass while someone else supports you for free

3. Building a new civilization away from earth with a group of people who also are not content with option 1 or 2.

I don't think much of the limited resources angle. The planet ain't tapped, and the solar system hasn't even been scratched.
There's the issue of our government having finite resources though. It would cost more than the bank bailout and Iraq to set up what you are trying to do. I think its a cool idea, I just don't see it happening any time soon. Maybe ever. You would have difficulty selling it to the electorate too, although I imagine it would create lots of jobs in manufacturing, engineering, and construction. Maybe try to sell the public on that aspect.

I think the idea of trying to get resources from asteroids is cool too, but I never really got how you could safely bring them back to Earth.
Shikata ga nai

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:42 am

I'm not saying the government has to do it.

I know that other options look pretty slim in possibility.

Is it just the funding aspect of it being a government project that you are arguing against?
GrumpyCatFace wrote:Dumb slut partied too hard and woke up in a weird house. Ran out the door, weeping for her failed life choices, concerned townsfolk notes her appearance and alerted the fuzz.

viewtopic.php?p=60751#p60751

Penner

Post by Penner » Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:44 am

I say we get average Americans and just make them astronauts:

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:46 am

Penner wrote:I say we get average Americans and just make them astronauts:
No, average people have to stay here a mind the shop.

GrumpyCatFace wrote:Dumb slut partied too hard and woke up in a weird house. Ran out the door, weeping for her failed life choices, concerned townsfolk notes her appearance and alerted the fuzz.

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:50 am

Okeefenokee wrote:I'm not saying the government has to do it.

Is it just the funding aspect of it being a government project that you are arguing against?

No. The moon landing was a government program, and it is one of the most impressive projects our country has ever attempted. World War II was also the result of government cooperating with industry and it is also one of our proudest moments. I just don't really know how the government would sell the American people on this particular project when our country is in a state of disarray. It seems to me that people would get angry at their representatives for proposing to spend a large amount of the budget on something that would probably not pay off until decades later. Its kind of like how Columbus had to shop around his voyage idea to several different monarchs in Europe before he finally got a backer.

I think it would be awesome for a human being to enter Venus' atmosphere, or set foot on Mars. It just seems like such a distant thing to me when you see all the culture wars, budget problems, and foreign policy crisis' on the news every day. Elon Musk is doing some cool stuff, so maybe the project could start in the private sector. If it worked out there, maybe the public would get behind it and encourage the government to spend more on space travel and R and D. I believe a large scale program like that would create lots of jobs, so there would be many benefits, I just don't really see much of the public behind this atm.
Shikata ga nai

Penner

Post by Penner » Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:53 am

jbird4049

Post by jbird4049 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:59 pm

Penner wrote:
I take it that you're a Simpsons fan? :-)
heydaralon wrote:

No. The moon landing was a government program, and it is one of the most impressive projects our country has ever attempted. World War II was also the result of government cooperating with industry and it is also one of our proudest moments. I just don't really know how the government would sell the American people on this particular project when our country is in a state of disarray. It seems to me that people would get angry at their representatives for proposing to spend a large amount of the budget on something that would probably not pay off until decades later. Its kind of like how Columbus had to shop around his voyage idea to several different monarchs in Europe before he finally got a backer.

I think it would be awesome for a human being to enter Venus' atmosphere, or set foot on Mars. It just seems like such a distant thing to me when you see all the culture wars, budget problems, and foreign policy crisis' on the news every day. Elon Musk is doing some cool stuff, so maybe the project could start in the private sector. If it worked out there, maybe the public would get behind it and encourage the government to spend more on space travel and R and D. I believe a large scale program like that would create lots of jobs, so there would be many benefits, I just don't really see much of the public behind this atm.
It's simply amazin' how there's always a means, and a justification, to be found for bank bailouts, tax breaks for the wealthy, farm subsidies, weapons that don't work, wars that don't want, and other similar thieving, but food stamps, railroads, tax increases on the 1% and corporations, higher education, lead poisoning (Flint is just an extreme example. It's everywhere), medical care, and NASA is Communism and therefore evil shit.
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Mon May 01, 2017 6:31 am

jbird4049 wrote:
Penner wrote:
I take it that you're a Simpsons fan? :-)
heydaralon wrote:

It's simply amazin' how there's always a means, and a justification, to be found for bank bailouts, tax breaks for the wealthy, farm subsidies, weapons that don't work, wars that don't want, and other similar thieving, but food stamps, railroads, tax increases on the 1% and corporations, higher education, lead poisoning (Flint is just an extreme example. It's everywhere), medical care, and NASA is Communism and therefore evil shit.
Funny how that works, isn't it.. almost as though people were thinking exactly what the 1% commands them to...
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Mon May 01, 2017 9:15 am

Y'all have fun kicking that strawman you created.

Get him!

jbird4049

Post by jbird4049 » Mon May 01, 2017 9:20 am

Okeefenokee wrote:Y'all have fun kicking that strawman you created.

Get him!
:roll:

Those who have always get more. Those who don't always get less.
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.