Doing Math Requires a License in Oregon

Ex-California

Re: Doing Math Requires a License in Oregon

Post by Ex-California » Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:10 am

Alexander PhiAlipson wrote:
California wrote:I don't have an engineering degree, yet my work title proclaims me an engineer and I get paid for engineering. What does that make me? Am I a professional engineer?
No; take it up with the OSBEELS who made the complaint.
California wrote:Regardless of semantics, this guy is correct and the State is wrong
What makes you so sure he's correct about anything? It's okay to have a degree in mechanical engineering and call yourself "The Science Guy" on television; it's okay to stand on the corner in a short skirt with track marks on your arms and call yourself a "professional"; but because your wife made a right on red when she should have come to a full stop first, doesn't entitle you to speak before the Oregon State Board of Examiners for Engineers and Land Surveyors.
Having a couple umlauts in your name does not make you a genius. He should've paid the original fine instead of appearing on sixty minutes arguing about how unfair these fucking cameras are. He should've paid the stupid little fine instead of listening to his wife who swore it should've still been amber.
Redlight cameras are routinely wrong, they are ran by private companies who make most of the profit off of the fines, and generally serve no purpose except to separate citizens from their money.

Thank god we have more people like this engineer than people like you
No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session

jbird4049

Post by jbird4049 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:40 am

California wrote:
California wrote:I don't have an engineering degree, yet my work title proclaims me an engineer and I get paid for engineering. What does that make me? Am I a professional engineer?
No; take it up with the OSBEELS who made the complaint.
California wrote:Regardless of semantics, this guy is correct and the State is wrong
What makes you so sure he's correct about anything? It's okay to have a degree in mechanical engineering and call yourself "The Science Guy" on television; it's okay to stand on the corner in a short skirt with track marks on your arms and call yourself a "professional"; but because your wife made a right on red when she should have come to a full stop first, doesn't entitle you to speak before the Oregon State Board of Examiners for Engineers and Land Surveyors.
Having a couple umlauts in your name does not make you a genius. He should've paid the original fine instead of appearing on sixty minutes arguing about how unfair these fucking cameras are. He should've paid the stupid little fine instead of listening to his wife who swore it should've still been amber.
Redlight cameras are routinely wrong, they are ran by private companies who make most of the profit off of the fines, and generally serve no purpose except to separate citizens from their money.

Thank god we have more people like this engineer than people like you
And in some places it is not an accident but a deliberate, and routine, policy to shorten the lights in order to generate more revenue. If more money was needed, the lights were tampered with. It's like when Ferguson determined the amount and kind of fines needed by how much revenue was needed. Not on public safety. In some cases like in Chicago, they illegally shorten them and bribes and kickbacks were/are involved to get companies the contracts.
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

doc_loliday

Post by doc_loliday » Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:30 am

Engineering licenses are some of the few licenses that make sense. It's really the only way to weed out those that cheated, cajoled, bribed, etc., their way through college. Our bridges would be constantly falling down and our buildings would be catching fire without them.

Licensing to do hair, clip nails, and spray bugs? It's just about job protection and to keep prices high.

doc_loliday

Post by doc_loliday » Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:32 am

@California

In California, Mechanical, Electrical, and Civil Engineers are the only engineers that have legal restrictions on what they can call themselves.

clubgop

Post by clubgop » Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:33 am

clubgop wrote:This is fucking maddening. He's not trying to defraud anybody or pull a fast one over some poor government sap he is presenting facts and instead of disputing that evidence they want to play a challenge coin game of bullshit.
Somehow, somewhere, apparently, he misrepresented himself. For all you and I know, his math may be crap.
If it was they would correct him and use him as a whipping boy but like climate change skeptics they know something shady is going on and they rather censor the speaker than deal with the data.

clubgop

Post by clubgop » Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:40 am

doc_loliday wrote:Engineering licenses are some of the few licenses that make sense. It's really the only way to weed out those that cheated, cajoled, bribed, etc., their way through college. Our bridges would be constantly falling down and our buildings would be catching fire without them.

Licensing to do hair, clip nails, and spray bugs? It's just about job protection and to keep prices high.
Nice attempt at goalpost shifting. This dude isn't building a fucking bridge or a building. He is standing outside with a fucking stopwatch and a spreadsheet, oh the fucking horror. You want to dismiss his findings fine but what does that matter? If he was interviewed by an esteemed journalist, are they licensed by the state, instead of writing a letter and the journalist was fined would that be ok? And if not why not?

doc_loliday

Post by doc_loliday » Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:41 am

clubgop wrote:
doc_loliday wrote:Engineering licenses are some of the few licenses that make sense. It's really the only way to weed out those that cheated, cajoled, bribed, etc., their way through college. Our bridges would be constantly falling down and our buildings would be catching fire without them.

Nice attempt at goalpost shifting. This dude isn't building a fucking bridge or a building. He is standing outside with a fucking stopwatch and a spreadsheet, oh the fucking horror. You want to dismiss his findings fine but what does that matter? If he was interviewed by an esteemed journalist, are they licensed by the state, instead of writing a letter and the journalist was fined would that be ok? And if not why not?
I was just making a general comment about licensing, and responding to California. I wasn't remarking on the article.

doc_loliday

Post by doc_loliday » Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:49 am

I do have a problem with this though.

Free speech is a term that's often misconstrued. It's not some blanket to hide behind while spouting ridicule and hate to anyone and everyone. In the US, what free speech does protect is the right of a person to openly criticize the government,

This is some grade A, statist SJW bullshit right here.

But to the main point, no, this was not about licensing whatsoever. Dude got railroaded.

clubgop

Post by clubgop » Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:04 am

doc_loliday wrote:I do have a problem with this though.

Free speech is a term that's often misconstrued. It's not some blanket to hide behind while spouting ridicule and hate to anyone and everyone. In the US, what free speech does protect is the right of a person to openly criticize the government,

This is some grade A, statist SJW bullshit right here.

But to the main point, no, this was not about licensing whatsoever. Dude got railroaded.
I kind of agree with the statement but when "hate and ridicule" are defined as a letter to board of bureaucrats over stop lights, fuck you now I am a free speech absolutist.

doc_loliday

Post by doc_loliday » Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:14 am

My disagreement is that he is asserting that the 1st amendment is only to be used for criticizing the government. That's just part of it. We should be able to hate or mock anyone we like, so long as we don't threaten them in any way.