Sanctuary Cities - Legit?

kybkh

Sanctuary Cities - Legit?

Post by kybkh » Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:43 am

I am totally baffled by this whole idea of cities, NOT STATES, being able to defy the Federal Government.

Didn't we have a fucking war about this?
“I've got a phone that allows me to convene Americans from every walk of life, nonprofits, businesses, the private sector, universities to try to bring more and more Americans together around what I think is a unifying theme..." - Obama

Ex-California

Re: Sanctuary Cities - Legit?

Post by Ex-California » Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:32 am

Totally illegal IMO

Both sides only use the "States' Rights" excuse when it pertains to their sensibilities.
No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session

DBTrek

Post by DBTrek » Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:38 am

It is baffling to me. Apparently cities feel that the federal government owes them money, whether or not they adhere to federal law. I'm no lawyer, but the argument strikes me as ridiculous. How can you tell the federal government that they have to keep paying you money even though you blatantly defy their laws?
"Hey varmints, don't mess with a guy that's riding a buffalo"

Ex-California

Post by Ex-California » Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:48 am

Its just like that church suing for grant money for a new playground despite the fact that they don't pay any taxes.

Logic goes out the window when people want to bend the laws to suit them and money is involved.
No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session

kybkh

Post by kybkh » Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:49 am

The fact they are using the 10th Amendment to dispute this is particularly galling.

The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.
“I've got a phone that allows me to convene Americans from every walk of life, nonprofits, businesses, the private sector, universities to try to bring more and more Americans together around what I think is a unifying theme..." - Obama

Fife

Post by Fife » Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:51 am

The animating contest of .... federalism?

Awesome!

:popcorn:

doc_loliday

Post by doc_loliday » Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:42 am

kybkh wrote:The fact they are using the 10th Amendment to dispute this is particularly galling.

The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.

I wonder if the constitution says anything about the immigration. Hmm.

Also, perhaps our nation will devolve into city states.

The Conservative

Post by The Conservative » Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:50 am

doc_loliday wrote:
kybkh wrote:The fact they are using the 10th Amendment to dispute this is particularly galling.

I wonder if the constitution says anything about the immigration. Hmm.

Also, perhaps our nation will devolve into city states.
If it does, it will be right on course with what I believe is going to happen.
#NotOneRedCent

apeman

Post by apeman » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:00 am

kybkh wrote:Didn't we have a fucking war about this?
If said war is not mentioned in Harry Potter series or rebooted as a netflix superhero movie, no one under 35 will be aware of it.

DBTrek

Post by DBTrek » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:32 am

Fife wrote:The animating contest of .... federalism?

Awesome!

:popcorn:
What is this light-weight twaddle?
OPINE, man.
OPINE.

What are your thoughts on this? How can cities tell the Federal government "No, you can't decide NOT to give us money simply because we're in open defiance of you"?

HOW?
"Hey varmints, don't mess with a guy that's riding a buffalo"