10-year-old autistic boy getting arrested at school

heydaralon

Re: 10-year-old autistic boy getting arrested at school

Post by heydaralon » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:04 pm

If we had stronger teachers unions and more school administrators something like this would never have happened. Sometimes I worry that those school administrators do too much good.

We should be moving to eliminate private schools as they are a classist and chauvinistic holdover from the Middle Ages and work to steer our students into art based careers instead of the bloated STEM sector. By training students how to set up tumblr pages and make collages, public schools can help them all reach a level of infantile autism and the 10 year olds tantrum would no longer stand out.
Shikata ga nai

The Conservative

Post by The Conservative » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:24 pm

skankhunt42 wrote:
The Conservative wrote:Want to get my blood boiling, that is how to get my blood boiling...

A student with a disability should not be held to the same standards as someone without a disability. No matter how much they wish to be treated the same, a disability such as Autism/Aspergers require special handling. Not all can be treated the same either. I have an issue with loud areas, crowds and people that don't know what the fuck personal space is...
Lot of gray area there man. It really depends on what that person with the disability did. If it's to the point where they are a danger to others, then tough shit, if it's not, then I agree with you.
If the person is with autism they don't say what level of the spectrum he is on. It shouldn't matter... if he is on the spectrum at all, the student should be given the bennifit of the doubt.
#NotOneRedCent

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:39 pm

The Conservative wrote:
skankhunt42 wrote:
The Conservative wrote:Want to get my blood boiling, that is how to get my blood boiling...

A student with a disability should not be held to the same standards as someone without a disability. No matter how much they wish to be treated the same, a disability such as Autism/Aspergers require special handling. Not all can be treated the same either. I have an issue with loud areas, crowds and people that don't know what the fuck personal space is...
Lot of gray area there man. It really depends on what that person with the disability did. If it's to the point where they are a danger to others, then tough shit, if it's not, then I agree with you.
If the person is with autism they don't say what level of the spectrum he is on. It shouldn't matter... if he is on the spectrum at all, the student should be given the bennifit of the doubt.
The benefit of the doubt goes out the window once violence is introduced. Everything has its limit.
GrumpyCatFace wrote:Dumb slut partied too hard and woke up in a weird house. Ran out the door, weeping for her failed life choices, concerned townsfolk notes her appearance and alerted the fuzz.

viewtopic.php?p=60751#p60751

The Conservative

Post by The Conservative » Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:34 am

Okeefenokee wrote:
The Conservative wrote:
skankhunt42 wrote:
The benefit of the doubt goes out the window once violence is introduced. Everything has its limit.
Yes, everything has its limit. IT doesn't mean that you treat children with the same response as an adult. Also, when I was in kindergarten we had a child like that, he was over 5 ft tall, and he was put in there because at the time there was no other educational system that would take him. He was violent, he was erratic, and easy to irritate. Yet he was put into a classroom with "babies" for all intended purposes...

When he lashed out, nothing happened, when he broke a teacher's arm, nothing happened to him.

I'm sorry, but when I was growing up, teachers accepted that special ed students would possibly do things that we can't comprehend and dealt with it as time went by...

Today, this kid would have been arrested...

So tell me, tolerance or intolerance, what do we want to teach our children?
#NotOneRedCent

Ex-California

Post by Ex-California » Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:19 am

The Conservative wrote:
Okeefenokee wrote:
The Conservative wrote:
Yes, everything has its limit. IT doesn't mean that you treat children with the same response as an adult. Also, when I was in kindergarten we had a child like that, he was over 5 ft tall, and he was put in there because at the time there was no other educational system that would take him. He was violent, he was erratic, and easy to irritate. Yet he was put into a classroom with "babies" for all intended purposes...

When he lashed out, nothing happened, when he broke a teacher's arm, nothing happened to him.

I'm sorry, but when I was growing up, teachers accepted that special ed students would possibly do things that we can't comprehend and dealt with it as time went by...

This is why the disabled need to be in their own classes. To protect both themselves and the other students. Then they can also have the extra attention of teachers who are specially trained to work with them.
No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session

The Conservative

Post by The Conservative » Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:32 am

California wrote:
The Conservative wrote:
Okeefenokee wrote:

This is why the disabled need to be in their own classes. To protect both themselves and the other students. Then they can also have the extra attention of teachers who are specially trained to work with them.
They were until school systems across the country thought that it was better to "assimilate" them into normal classes with aides. I went through school in the "retard wing"... so take what you will with a grain of salt here, but I believe half the reason they did what they did was because parents were tired of their children being stigmatized just because they had a disability...
#NotOneRedCent

Fife

Post by Fife » Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:36 am

Yes, "extra attention" for the "disabled."

The Conservative

Post by The Conservative » Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:57 am

Fife wrote:Yes, "extra attention" for the "disabled."
Trust me, I hate using the term disabled. I hate having to say I have a disability, but if I don't, there are things I do that have no excuse otherwise. It sucks... I'd give an arm to be normal.
#NotOneRedCent

Fife

Post by Fife » Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:16 am

I wasn't talking about you brother, and certainly meant no disparagement towards you, or any individual.

I only have one target: the government school.

The Conservative

Post by The Conservative » Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:45 am

Fife wrote:I wasn't talking about you brother, and certainly meant no disparagement towards you, or any individual.

I only have one target: the government school.
Oh I know, but still it's one of those things that people don't realize that people with disabilities don't always have control over what they outwardly show. It's frustrating when people take it out on kids or people with disabilities instead of those who are the ones that are causing the real long term pain.

That is the problem, people think that getting scratched is going to have lasting harm... arresting that boy is going to have significant and a lot of negative repercussions. On top of trust of teachers, and police, the kid is probably going to become a severe introvert for fear of acting out... unless things are changed, this kid's life just got flipped upside down because a teacher couldn't handle their ward.
#NotOneRedCent