Things You Know Will Happen

heydaralon

Re: Things You Know Will Happen

Post by heydaralon » Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:23 am

Speaker to Animals wrote:
heydaralon wrote:
Speaker to Animals wrote:Maybe you just don't like comic book characters and that colors your reaction to the films. Nobody goes to these films thinking it's going to be an intellectually deep experience. They just go with the kids and expect to watch an action film.

Personally, I miss films like Predator and Aliens. We did get Pitch Black (the first one), but that was how long ago now?
Well I like all three of those films you mentioned. My question is, why cant we make more original scifi or whatever? Pitch Black didnt even have a huge budget, but it was way better than just about every superhero movie. It doesnt have to be intellectually deep to be good. But we keep pumping out the same tired shit over and fucking over. None of my friends want to watch good movies. They just want this superhero bullshit. Im not some beret wearing wine tasting movie snob faggot, Im just tired of being the asshole for not wanting to see Avengers 7 or Spiderman 12. This mediocre shit is what defines our culture now. We supposedly have the best writers on Earth in Hollywood, and this is truly the best they can do? The new Bladerunner movie was awesome and seemed to be relatively popular, so we know it is possible to make good movies that do well financially. Im just tired of comic book faggotry.

1. Hollywood is a business and they are trying to maximize profit, which means catering to the largest possible audience in high-budget cases.
2. Hollywood is located in California and run by Californians, and therefore they are pozzed right up the ass with California culture. So you are getting Californian culture jammed into your brain when you go to these films. Most of what people don't like, really, comes down to a clash of culture. This is one area that's hard for Hollywood to escape. It's not easy to get out of your own culture and values to produce art for another culture in their own terms. The only solution to this is for alternative "hollywoods" to emerge in the several different cultural regions of America.
I would absolutely be down with that. There are some good writers from California (like Phillip K Dick), but most shit now seems like it was designed by committee. We gotta have a gay character now, we can't have a white guy for a lead etc. I'm fine with black or gay filmmakers, but nowadays if you are one of those that is all your art will be. I'm black, I wrote a book about being black, give me a pullitzer. Same with trans shit. A mediocre movie in all aspects jumps to the greatness category if it has trans shit. It is ridiculous.

I don't even identify wholly with Southern or Conservative culture, but if they made a Southern Hollywood that catered to that demographic I would be interested in checking it out. At the very least, it would serve as a useful counterbalance. Nowadays, people worship the future. Anything historical is considered a weight that needs to be shed. As a result, all scifi generally has very progressive themes. This is curious, because there is nothing to indicate that the genre needs to be tied into whatever is hip or moral in Hollywood at the moment. Many scifi writers from a few decades ago used their stories to express conservative or unconventional ideas, but that is not the case now. At the moment, the main way conservatism is expressed in the entertainment industry is via political radio shows or Fox news, both of which I consider shit. I think Clint Eastwood is fairly conservative on many things, and he has made some great Westerns and movies like Mystic River (though he hasn't made a good movie in at least 10 years), so there may be some hope.

I read an article though that the movie industry is not interested in making middle budget films anymore. They either will invest 2 million for a film, or 200 million. Indie films or blockbusters. Idk if that is still true. I understand they need to make money, but part of me wishes that the art would occasionally override the economics.
Shikata ga nai

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:19 am

The Mueller investigation will continue, but in the end it will fade away into a nothing burger. Mueller will convict some low level people of process crimes, but his team will be so discredited by their own bias and singular focus on attacking Trump that it will be meaningless.

More will be uncovered about the collusion between the FBI-DOJ and Russia to fabricate dirt on Trump.
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:13 pm

2018 will be the year of Peak Craziness related to Trump Derangement Syndrome.

The Coup to overturn the 2016 election will either succeed of fail in 2018. Right now, things are pretty even, but Trump is balancing the battle quickly.
+0

The GOP is starting to learn how to win, and are starting to understand winning is better than being cucks. In 2018 the big test will be mid Term elections. All Trump has to do is hold the line. The Deep State will take the side of the Democrats and they have to win HUGE. The results will be largely based on the economy. Only a major crash will give the Democrats the vote they need.
+1 Trump

Other influences will be the legal battle of the Coup. The Mueller investigations v. the Congressional investigation into FBI-DOJ Corruption. The FBI and DOJ are more corrupt than Trump and they won't be able to hide all their own documentation of Corruption.
+1 Trump

The Deep State has the press. The corporate media is totally invested in destroying Trump. If they fail to get Trump, they will be destroyed.
+1 Deep State.
PLATA O PLOMO

PartyOf5

Post by PartyOf5 » Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:16 pm

heydaralon wrote: I read an article though that the movie industry is not interested in making middle budget films anymore. They either will invest 2 million for a film, or 200 million. Indie films or blockbusters. Idk if that is still true. I understand they need to make money, but part of me wishes that the art would occasionally override the economics.
The video game industry is following this same path. It sucks, because most of what is released is a sequel. Not much originality of variety.

As for the superhero movies, this has replaced the action star movies we used to get with Stallone, Van Damme, Segal, and Schwarzenegger. I love comics (well, not the SJW garbage Marvel is trying to force upon us), and the movies were fun at first, but I sense that Avengers 3 will be the top of the mountain before a very quick slide. Over-saturation of movies and tv series at this point.

I would love for some good, new, original sci-fi. Disney has openly told old Star Wars fans to fuck off. I would love something along the lines of Pitch Black. The best sci-fi I've seen lately is Glitch on Netflix. I'm also watching the Battlestar Galactica series from 2004 to try and fill the hole left in me by TFA and TLJ. Rogue One was pretty good, but the other 2 have been terrible.

So to fit this into the topic, I say that 2018 will be the beginning of a sharp fall for superhero movies. Black Panther, Captain Marvel, etc.. will all be considered disappointments. Only Avengers 3 will surpass expectations.

Oh, and as for great superhero movies, I'd add Logan, Captain America 1, and Deadpool to The Dark Knight.

nmoore63

Post by nmoore63 » Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:23 pm

Still riding the Deep State tanks the economy next summer.

Likely big wins for team blue based on that.

How that all plays out from there is more speculative.

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:34 pm

nmoore63 wrote:Still riding the Deep State tanks the economy next summer.

I would not bet against it. That is their final option, Deafcon 1.

The thing is Trump has proven he gets a say in things. I don't think the Tax cut bill helps or hurts me much, and it doesn't determine my future, but it sounds like it is going to promote business and industry in the US. If that happens, even the Deep State may surrender and hold their nose if it works for them.
PLATA O PLOMO

nmoore63

Post by nmoore63 » Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:12 pm

C-Mag wrote:

The thing is Trump has proven he gets a say in things. I don't think the Tax cut bill helps or hurts me much, and it doesn't determine my future, but it sounds like it is going to promote business and industry in the US. If that happens, even the Deep State may surrender and hold their nose if it works for them.
A large percentage of the deep state's income is completely unconnected to the economy as a whole... and really, they are the ones with the $$$ to buy up everything during the depressions.

*they also have a batch of super rich celebs and such who have no idea about money or economics.

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:16 pm

nmoore63 wrote:
C-Mag wrote:

A large percentage of the deep state's income is completely unconnected to the economy as a whole... and really, they are the ones with the $$$ to buy up everything during the depressions.

*they also have a batch of super rich celebs and such who have no idea about money or economics.
They’ve already bought it. The mysterious “deep state” is the banksters. Goldman Sachs and sidekicks.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

nmoore63

Post by nmoore63 » Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:54 pm

GrumpyCatFace wrote:They’ve already bought it. The mysterious “deep state” is the banksters. Goldman Sachs and sidekicks.
Not all of it.

There's always moore.

They haven't got me yet.

Also, I wouldn't limit the deep state to banksters. There are plenty of unaccountable government bureaucrats with their independent fiefs, as well as other corporatists beyond finance who use the government to erect competition barriers.

Hanarchy Montanarchy

Post by Hanarchy Montanarchy » Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:01 pm

I'm going to start referring to the odious soccer rule that I can't use my hands as a 'competition barrier.'

I'm a sovereign citizen of this soccer club, and I will move the ball in the manner that is most competitive, thus increasing scoring efficiency, which is better for the soccer fan.
HAIL!

Her needs America so they won't just take his shit away like in some pussy non gun totting countries can happen.
-Hwen