Should Facebook Live be accountable for What Its Users Publish?

heydaralon

Should Facebook Live be accountable for What Its Users Publish?

Post by heydaralon » Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:23 pm

Usually I hate Slate, but this is actually kind of interesting:
http://www.slate.com/blogs/future_tense ... fault.html

In terms of liability, I'm inclined to view facebook live like a car. If someone robs a bank and drives their F-150 into a crowd of people, I think its kind of absurd to blame that on Ford Motors.
Facebook Live is attracting scrutiny because it lies near the extreme vanguard of this spectrum. It's real-time; anyone can use it at any moment; the medium of personal video is as intimate as it gets; and the potential audience for a popular stream is tremendous thanks to Facebook's algorithms. Its one advantage over Twitter, when it comes to moderation, is that accounts aren’t anonymous, which means that you can't use it with impunity. By broadcasting on Facebook, Stephens made it highly likely that he'll be caught, and in the meantime Facebook can deny him his page.
I wonder how the discussion would be framed if the guy had his own radio station or something and was broadcasting the sounds of his victims dying?
Its funny to me that in the age of TSA, DHS, and NSA, we still have no idea how to deal with these crazy fucks...
Nowhere in the interview does he express serious concern about the possibility that someone might broadcast a murder, a suicide, a police shooting, a sexual assault, or an armed standoff. It's no surprise, then, that as each of these scenarios has transpired in just the first year of the product's existence, Facebook has appeared woefully unprepared to deal with them.
As screwed up as all these actions are, if someone is stupid enough to broadcast them, it might lead to their capture quicker as the authorities could look for details in the video to see where it is being streamed, as well as the ip address.
Shikata ga nai

doc_loliday

Re: Should Facebook Live be accountable for What Its Users Publish?

Post by doc_loliday » Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:30 pm

The slaying is one of the more disturbing things I've seen. It's a disgusting waste. That said, no, I don't think facebook should be held accountable, even if "It's real-time; anyone can use it at any moment..." Isn't that a non-sequitur? This is the world we're living in, people will find ways to express their psychopathy. I'm not saying nothing should be done, let's explore some ideas, but I've heard people suggest shutting down facebook live. It won't stop people from killing people.

skankhunt42

Post by skankhunt42 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:17 pm

I'm actually shocked that the nation of peace hasn't utilized Facebook live or Periscope. Imagine a bunch of these nut jobs filming their acts live? You think that might recruit more of these assholes?
What's crazy to me is this guy hasn't been caught yet.
"just realize that our Welfare states are also propped up by your Warfare. You're not actually defending us from threats, but you are propping us up by fabricating threats to maintain the Perpetual War." - Smitty

Zlaxer

Post by Zlaxer » Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:13 am

Should we start suing every business that has a wall where people can tack stuff? Slate is full of idiots.....At some point, the buck has to stop with the actual criminal.....

DBTrek

Post by DBTrek » Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:33 am

Only when we hold the rest of the media accountable for similar events:
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nationa ... -1.2337586
"Hey varmints, don't mess with a guy that's riding a buffalo"

Fife

Post by Fife » Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:15 am

First day of Kindergarten again here at HashHouse:

No prior restraint.

Let me know when you all are back from nap time.

de officiis

Post by de officiis » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:12 am

I'm straining to identify a viable legal theory here.