Turkey wotes Yes to dictatorship (?)

Ph64

Re: Turkey wotes Yes to dictatorship (?)

Post by Ph64 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:00 pm

Martin Hash wrote:
Ph64 wrote:Doesn't surprise me at all, in fact I somewhat expect it to happen here in the USSA eventually. Just look at the war on "fake news", the protests/riots by SJWs to shut down "undesirable" speakers, etc. Or EU countries criminally charging people for "anti Muslim" comments, and keeping such things out of the media stories.

Free speech is so 20th century. :violin:
Ohhhh... Nicely done.
I might add that the 1918 Sedition Act was never repealed. Perhaps rarely used since, but it is still "law".
"People don't like to be meddled with. We tell them what to do, what to think, don't run, don't walk. We're in their homes and in their heads and we haven't the right. We're meddlesome."

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:01 pm

Name a law that's been repealed outside of prohibition. I'm genuinely curious.

Ph64

Post by Ph64 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:12 pm

TheReal_ND wrote:Name a law that's been repealed outside of prohibition. I'm genuinely curious.
Federal tax code is technically "law", I'm betting there's been numerous tax changes over the years that might have effectively "repealed" certain things, they just aren't as obvious/sweeping (effecting everyone) as prohibition was. Various state laws have been challenged and ruled unconstitutional over the years, one could effectively consider those "repealed" by the courts.

One might consider blacks being "3/5 of a person" as being the law from this countries founding... Would you consider that "repealed and replaced", to use current language?
Last edited by Ph64 on Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"People don't like to be meddled with. We tell them what to do, what to think, don't run, don't walk. We're in their homes and in their heads and we haven't the right. We're meddlesome."

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:13 pm

Hmm. Just occurred to me that lots of laws were repealed until 1965.