Turkey wotes Yes to dictatorship (?)

3knuckleshuffle

Re: Turkey wotes Yes to dictatorship (?)

Post by 3knuckleshuffle » Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:36 am

WaPo has been going through the stages of loss lately, and it looks like they are stuck on denial. They write an entire article showing that even though Erdogan won with a decent margin, somehow he still "lost" because he didn't win by 20 points:
Howard Eissenstat, an associate professor at St. Lawrence University and a fellow at the Project on Middle East Democracy, argued that the powers-that-be in Ankara should be chastened by the “no” camp's ability to force a stunningly close result despite the full weight of the state working against them.
The fact that Erdogan failed to win Istanbul for the first time since 1994 is particularly important sign that even some of the urbanized AKP supporters have deserted him.
Today's result means he lost ground among his own constituency and could not mobilize the nationalists as much as he wanted to.
I love this paper.

BjornP

Post by BjornP » Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:24 am

Martin Hash wrote:As proved in Egypt, democracy in Islam lasts one election.
Except it has lasted for longer in Turkey. Poland has had democracy for fewer years than Turkey, even factoring in Turkish military coups.

As for topic. Erdogan now has several more decades to root out any opposition. Already several journalists are in jail, including a German reporter who was reporting on the post coup attempt crackdown on citadel media.
Fame is not flattery. Respect is not agreement.

GloryofGreece

Post by GloryofGreece » Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:22 am

BjornP wrote:
Except it has lasted for longer in Turkey. Poland has had democracy for fewer years than Turkey, even factoring in Turkish military coups.

As for topic. Erdogan now has several more decades to root out any opposition. Already several journalists are in jail, including a German reporter who was reporting on the post coup attempt crackdown on citadel media.
It surprised me a bit to find out how many journalists, writers, poets etc. are in prison around the world still. Its disconcerting to say the least. So few generals, politicians, and financiers in prison but plenty of writers.
The good, the true, & the beautiful

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:59 pm

GloryofGreece wrote:
BjornP wrote:

It surprised me a bit to find out how many journalists, writers, poets etc. are in prison around the world still. Its disconcerting to say the least. So few generals, politicians, and financiers in prison but plenty of writers.
puts the lie to all that mumbo jumbo about the pen being mightier than the sword, and not going to war with people who buy ink by the barrel.
GrumpyCatFace wrote:Dumb slut partied too hard and woke up in a weird house. Ran out the door, weeping for her failed life choices, concerned townsfolk notes her appearance and alerted the fuzz.

viewtopic.php?p=60751#p60751

TheOneX

Post by TheOneX » Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:18 pm

Okeefenokee wrote:
GloryofGreece wrote:
BjornP wrote:

puts the lie to all that mumbo jumbo about the pen being mightier than the sword, and not going to war with people who buy ink by the barrel.
No, pen is mightier than the sword, but the pen is not the apex predator. That distinction goes to the coin.

Ph64

Post by Ph64 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:32 pm

GloryofGreece wrote: It surprised me a bit to find out how many journalists, writers, poets etc. are in prison around the world still. Its disconcerting to say the least. So few generals, politicians, and financiers in prison but plenty of writers.
Why is it surprising that those who make the rules, even if they don't follow them, rarely wind up in prison? "It's good to be king."

Why, for instance, did Bernie Madoff go to prison, while no Wall Street banker did? Bernie robbed from the wrong people - robbing from the masses is fine, robbing from the power elites is not.
"People don't like to be meddled with. We tell them what to do, what to think, don't run, don't walk. We're in their homes and in their heads and we haven't the right. We're meddlesome."

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:46 pm

Ph64 wrote:
GloryofGreece wrote: It surprised me a bit to find out how many journalists, writers, poets etc. are in prison around the world still. Its disconcerting to say the least. So few generals, politicians, and financiers in prison but plenty of writers.
Why is it surprising that those who make the rules, even if they don't follow them, rarely wind up in prison? "It's good to be king."

Why, for instance, did Bernie Madoff go to prison, while no Wall Street banker did? Bernie robbed from the wrong people - robbing from the masses is fine, robbing from the power elites is not.
Bernie had more balls.
GrumpyCatFace wrote:Dumb slut partied too hard and woke up in a weird house. Ran out the door, weeping for her failed life choices, concerned townsfolk notes her appearance and alerted the fuzz.

viewtopic.php?p=60751#p60751

GloryofGreece

Post by GloryofGreece » Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:26 pm

Ph64 wrote:

It doesn't surprise me that the rich usually don't go to prison or the well connected etc. It surprises me that still in 2017 freedom of speech and just plane writing is considered so dangerous that hundreds of authors of one kind or another are still locked up like it is 18th century or earlier.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PEN_Inter ... _Committee
The good, the true, & the beautiful

Ph64

Post by Ph64 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:35 pm

GloryofGreece wrote:
Ph64 wrote:

It doesn't surprise me that the rich usually don't go to prison or the well connected etc. It surprises me that still in 2017 freedom of speech and just plane writing is considered so dangerous that hundreds of authors of one kind or another are still locked up like it is 18th century or earlier.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PEN_Inter ... _Committee
Doesn't surprise me at all, in fact I somewhat expect it to happen here in the USSA eventually. Just look at the war on "fake news", the protests/riots by SJWs to shut down "undesirable" speakers, etc. Or EU countries criminally charging people for "anti Muslim" comments, and keeping such things out of the media stories.

Free speech is so 20th century. :violin:
"People don't like to be meddled with. We tell them what to do, what to think, don't run, don't walk. We're in their homes and in their heads and we haven't the right. We're meddlesome."

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:40 pm

Ph64 wrote:Doesn't surprise me at all, in fact I somewhat expect it to happen here in the USSA eventually. Just look at the war on "fake news", the protests/riots by SJWs to shut down "undesirable" speakers, etc. Or EU countries criminally charging people for "anti Muslim" comments, and keeping such things out of the media stories.

Free speech is so 20th century. :violin:
Ohhhh... Nicely done.
Shamedia, Shamdemic, Shamucation, Shamlection, Shamconomy & Shamate Change