MOAB Dropped in Afghanistan

The Conservative

MOAB Dropped in Afghanistan

Post by The Conservative » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:41 am

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/04/13/polit ... moab-bomb/

This was to remove ISIS "rats" from tunnels. I like the way they are thinking.
#NotOneRedCent

Lemonade

Re: MOAB Dropped in Afghanistan

Post by Lemonade » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:42 am

I'm hoping a video shows up on r/combatfootage.

Ex-California

Post by Ex-California » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:46 am

Damn beat me to it.

Its really too bad that nukes have such a stigma. Low yield tactical bombs could be delivered a lot easier than this 6 ton behemoth
No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session

ssu

Post by ssu » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:51 am

Did they really use the MOAB for the first time?
California wrote:Damn beat me to it.

Its really too bad that nukes have such a stigma. Low yield tactical bombs could be delivered a lot easier than this 6 ton behemoth
People don't understand nuclear radiation. Just look at the hysteria of any nuclear power plant accident.

And Chernobyl? It's been estimated that the fallout was bigger than all nuclear test done in the atmosphere combined. End result: a wildlife refuge in the border between Ukraine and Belarus.

kybkh

Post by kybkh » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:57 am

X999999
“I've got a phone that allows me to convene Americans from every walk of life, nonprofits, businesses, the private sector, universities to try to bring more and more Americans together around what I think is a unifying theme..." - Obama

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:57 am

Diminishing returns, the shockwave is big, but the ground still absorbs most of it, digging deep pretty much neutralizes raw firepower, no matter how much you pile on, since World War One in fact, big boom, but doesn't actually kill that many guys in the end.

The nuclear option is overrated as well, nukes are about heat and radiation, the shockwave has a maximum velocity, the speed of sound, so the kinetic force from a nuke is not actually any more powerful than a MOAB.
Nec Aspera Terrent

kybkh

Post by kybkh » Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:00 pm

It's all about the vacuum though right?

imploding lungs and what not...
“I've got a phone that allows me to convene Americans from every walk of life, nonprofits, businesses, the private sector, universities to try to bring more and more Americans together around what I think is a unifying theme..." - Obama

ssu

Post by ssu » Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:02 pm

Smitty-48 wrote:Diminishing returns, the shockwave is big, but the ground still absorbs most of it, digging deep pretty much neutralizes raw firepower, no matter how much you pile on, since World War One in fact, big boom, but doesn't actually kill that many guys in the end.

The nuclear option is overrated as well, nukes are about heat and radiation, the shockwave has a maximum velocity, the speed of sound, so the kinetic force from a nuke is not actually any more powerful than a MOAB.
I remember people talking about ground penetrating nukes in the 1980's. Bunker busters on steroids.

Anybody know how much difference there is between a MOAB and the old Daisycutter? MOAB needs a Cargo plane, obviously...

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:03 pm

kybkh wrote:It's all about the vacuum though right?

imploding lungs and what not...
The effect doesn't go that deep, most of the explosion is wasted, you'll kill some, but you won't kill as many as you'd think, considering the size of the bomb, that's why I say diminishing returns, a smaller bomb would have similar effects, the bigger bomb is just for propaganda, to impress the rubes.
Nec Aspera Terrent

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:06 pm

You also can't reach people in bunkers with nukes without a surface blast, which is going to create a massive fallout cloud that spreads across a hemisphere, making everybody (rightly) extremely pissed at the people responsible.

The really fancy stuff is designed to penetrate bunkers and kill people inside, but they don't have much success as of yet. At the end of the day, you still have to send guys in there to clear them out. Which sucks.