Dave Chappelle 'Age of Spin'

kybkh

Dave Chappelle 'Age of Spin'

Post by kybkh » Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:55 am

The cathartic feeling shared by many on here following Dave Chappelle's comeback on SNL which occurred soon after Trump's election inspired an entire thread at the old place.

This is a fantastic article and reaffirms that how Dave Chappelle made all of us feel that night was not unique to us and there is an understandable reason for why we felt relief from watching a funny black man.

Rape isn’t funny. But as Chappelle points out, in the case of Cosby, the rapist was funny. And he also happened to be a leading figure in civil rights, and a hero for young, black comedians. He says finding out Cosby committed rape was like finding out chocolate ice cream is a rapist, “but I love chocolate ice cream,” he says. He’s asking an important question.

How do we acknowledge the accomplishments of flawed people?

Five minutes of Chappelle’s special tells us more about American society and ourselves than 17 years of the Daily Show has.

In just over 10 years he went from being the most progressive voice in comedy to a symbol of cis, straight male bigotry. But he didn’t change. This is clearly evidence that the Left has moved drastically towards militancy in the past 10 years.

http://thefederalist.com/2017/04/11/dav ... 4-53197077
“I've got a phone that allows me to convene Americans from every walk of life, nonprofits, businesses, the private sector, universities to try to bring more and more Americans together around what I think is a unifying theme..." - Obama

Martin Hash

Re: Dave Chappelle 'Age of Spin'

Post by Martin Hash » Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:02 am

He also projected an aura of intense vulnerability; of being male, of being old, of being a father, of losing his faith in his heros. Turns out, Black males & White males are on the same downward spiral.
Shamedia, Shamdemic, Shamucation, Shamlection, Shamconomy & Shamate Change

Ex-California

Post by Ex-California » Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:06 am

I absolutely agree with the militancy of people that are even slightly Left.

For example, a discussion on a guitar forum about a new signature model effect pedal turned into a witch hunt of both the builder and the artist endorsing the pedal due to a dubious claim that the pedal builder had donated money to a Christian organization that supported LGBT conversion therapy. Even after evidence (in a direct quote from the builder) that he stopped donating money to that organization because he didn't agree with the conversion stuff a bunch of posters still were pledging to stop buying from the builder, stop listening to the artist, and continuing to spread the word that they both hate the gays.

Or, my friend's wife has a major problem with him now because he demonstrated that no one cares about men's health while women's health is a large concern from the top down. Check out http://www.womenshealth.gov and http://www.menshealth.gov for proof. Because he pointed out the unfairness towards men he now "doesn't care about women and their health issues"
No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session

kybkh

Post by kybkh » Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:15 am

California wrote:I absolutely agree with the militancy of people that are even slightly Left.

For example, a discussion on a guitar forum about a new signature model effect pedal turned into a witch hunt of both the builder and the artist endorsing the pedal due to a dubious claim that the pedal builder had donated money to a Christian organization that supported LGBT conversion therapy. Even after evidence (in a direct quote from the builder) that he stopped donating money to that organization because he didn't agree with the conversion stuff a bunch of posters still were pledging to stop buying from the builder, stop listening to the artist, and continuing to spread the word that they both hate the gays.

Or, my friend's wife has a major problem with him now because he demonstrated that no one cares about men's health while women's health is a large concern from the top down. Check out http://www.womenshealth.gov and http://www.menshealth.gov for proof. Because he pointed out the unfairness towards men he now "doesn't care about women and their health issues"
Well this boycott shit really pisses me off. Used to be business stayed out of politics. Used to be, when businesses started trying to influence govt policy it was called an Oligarch and considered to be a bad thing.

Now, with global markets and their hands deep in your pockets, by which I mean they take your tax dollars and have politicians give it to someone else, they don't care what you think because so if you decide not to shop at Target your trailer park friends still can while spending your money.
Last edited by kybkh on Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
“I've got a phone that allows me to convene Americans from every walk of life, nonprofits, businesses, the private sector, universities to try to bring more and more Americans together around what I think is a unifying theme..." - Obama

Lemonade

Post by Lemonade » Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:16 am

I am so glad Dave Chappelle said what he did. Those two hours were pretty awesome, I wish I could watch it fresh again.

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:17 am

When everyone has an equal vote, and voters can be organized via Social Networking, and the people who have power are far outnumbered by the people who don't, what we're seeing is the inevitable result.

"Democracy in large numbers is more a divider than a unifier." - me
Shamedia, Shamdemic, Shamucation, Shamlection, Shamconomy & Shamate Change

Ex-California

Post by Ex-California » Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:19 am

kybkh wrote:
California wrote:I absolutely agree with the militancy of people that are even slightly Left.

Well this boycott shit really pisses me off. Used to be business stayed out of politics. Used to be, when businesses started trying to influence govt policy it was called an Oligarch and considered to be a bad thing.

Now, with global markets and their hands deep in your pockets, by which I mean they take your tax dollars and have politicians give it to someone else so if you decide not to shop at Target your trailer park friends still can spending your money.
I look at it like this: I'm more important than any cause, and if I want something specific I don't care if the manufacturer eats babies. The baby eating is not part of the manufacturing process

As to your point about oligarchs, we're living deep in a corporate oligarchy right now and its affecting the whole world
No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session

doc_loliday

Post by doc_loliday » Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:51 am

It was interesting watching the reaction, in that it was completely restrained. They wanted to burn him to the ground, but he's black so they had to muzzle themselves. It was mostly, "most of it was funny, but I sort of didn't like the rape jokes." To the SJW, the lowest of the low is being black, so they can't insult blacks. It was actually pretty funny reading the carefully crafted tweets. Chappelle even mentioned it in his special.I don't remember the joke, but it was basically telling women complaining about their lot to black men should shut the hell up.