Free college in New York

Smitty-48

Re: Free college in New York

Post by Smitty-48 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:03 am

doc_loliday wrote:
Smitty-48 wrote:This issue is where the Leftards are at their most leftarded, "college education gets you a job, ergo, if everybody gets a college education, everybody gets a job"... except, if everybody has a college education, it ceases to be of any greater value by default, and everybody having a college education is not a job creator, unless everybody is going to be college professors, which is probably the definition of utopia for Leftards. Magical Thinking.
Masters Degrees get jobs, not bachelors. That's what the people need.
Even a Masters doesn't get you shit anymore, plenty of unemployed PhD's out there too, the accreditation inflation is already delivering ever more dimishing returns, "free college" would just expand that dynamic exponentially.

Supply and demand, college is not a job creator, there isn't actually a shortage of overeducated bourgeois academics, you'd be better off learning coding or going into the trades, don't waste your money on college.

White collar jobs is all about networking now anyways, it's all about who you know not what accreditation you have, you could have a PhD, but if they don't know you they don't care, company's hire people because someone who works there headhunts and says "I know this guy, he's my bro, he would be good for that job", that trumps accreditation now, because rarely does anybody actually work in the field that they studied in college, and the college degree is already a dime a dozen at the white collar level.

There's already too many college educated white collar workers for the slots available, trying to make everybody into a white collar worker is just crerating more unemployed white collar workers all the time.
Last edited by Smitty-48 on Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nec Aspera Terrent

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:20 am

Fraternity has always been the major way of getting a job. For a couple decades, getting a degree allowed some opportunity, not much but some, but now everybody has a degree so back to Who-You-Know.

Until The State gets into the jobs game, it's just going to get worse.
Shamedia, Shamdemic, Shamucation, Shamlection, Shamconomy & Shamate Change

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:24 am

But here's the thing, you don't actually access that fraternity via college anymore, basically, if you haven't done the job before, in the private sector, you don't have shit, the college degree does nothing for you, they're just gonna say "where have you worked before, who do we know that knows you?", the private sector connects is all that matters, and that's why there is so many unemployed college kids living in their moms basement with multiple degress going back to school for more because those degrees ain't doing shit for them, so college is a vicious cycle now, it's actually a trap.
Nec Aspera Terrent

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:28 am

Fraternity is family, friends, clan, religious organizations, fraternal organizations, etc. Fraternity in the college sense only applies to prestige schools: Yale, Harvard. Fuck State school graduates, one of those working for you is no big deal. I want me an MIT boy to boost my own ego.

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:32 am

The whole "free college" scam is pretty simple, the accreditation inflation bubble is starting to pop, so people are going to stop paying for college because it's not doing anything for them, so now colleges are looking for a taxpayer bailout, get the taxpayer to pay for it because the consumer is not going to.

And bear in mind, the Leftards who push this agenda, their base is made up of a huge cohort of academics, so it's just a Lefty Wefty entrenched interest looking for the taxpayer to feather their nests for them and stave off market forces. The college professors and staff want the same deal that the teachers unions have.
Nec Aspera Terrent

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:36 am

Very interesting pov...

I went to (almost) free school. Worked great, but now, like the healthcare industry, it's a natural monopoly with no cost constraints & lots of vested interests.

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:36 am

There has been an educational arms race going on for some time. Theres really no way to fix the system now. Even in a thought experiment where every 18 year old signed some kind of SALT type educational treaty to avoid getting more education the market is already saturated with college educated folks who are coming to realize that their degrees are less valuable than dogshit. Dog shit has some value because you can pay someone to pick it up. I got a history degree from a pretty good public college because I wanted to teach abroad, but once I graduated I stepped into an economic wasteland. Im still beating myself up over it. People are paying
More for less. In all honesty, I would have been better off going to trade school. For some reason, Americans turn their noses at trade jobs, but carpenters, plumbers, and electricians make good money, and they provide a tangible service that people need. You can take pride in fixing a toilet, or wiring a house and it immediately raises the quality of life for the person you helped. Im still racking my brain to figure out how society and I benefitted from my degree.
Shikata ga nai

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:42 am

Martin Hash wrote:Very interesting pov...

I went to (almost) free school. Worked great, but now, like the healthcare industry, it's a natural monopoly with no cost constraints & lots of vested interests.
Well, my wife works in healthcare/tech, and she's a highly paid corporate executive, and all she has is a bachelors degree, and that degree has nothing to do with the work she does, and she hires and fires, for a multinational, and trust me, what degree you have and where you went to college; never even comes up in the discussion.
Nec Aspera Terrent

doc_loliday

Post by doc_loliday » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:46 am

There's nothing wrong with a history degree, there just ain't any jobs.

doc_loliday

Post by doc_loliday » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:47 am

Smitty-48 wrote:
Martin Hash wrote:Very interesting pov...

Well, my wife works in healthcare/tech, and she's a highly paid corporate executive, and all she has is a bachelors degree, and that degree has nothing to do with the work she does, and she hires and fires, for a multinational, and trust me, what degree you have and where you went to college; never even comes up in the discussion.

In America it's all about getting your foot in the door. Employers have their pick right now, and they're going to choose, (or their software is going to choose) the college grad. Once you have some job experience, it doesn't mean much.