THE AMERICAN PEOPLE DON'T GIVE A FUCK!!!

jbird4049

Re: THE AMERICAN PEOPLE DON'T GIVE A FUCK!!!

Post by jbird4049 » Mon May 08, 2017 1:33 am

This is an interesting. Using bears as way to argue over statistics.

I'm with the per capita as it makes more sense to me also, but I do suck at anything above arithmetic. (BTW I filled with joyous anticipation to do my required statics course. Just like a visit to the dentist.) I want to add some more wrinkles. It's not just numbers. It's the circumstances.

Most bears don't want to be near you. Those small? bears are scaredy cats unless you frighten mommy with her baby cubs. Then I just hope you run real well. Same if you startled a hungry grizzly. They are the top of the food chain not you. It's rare, but...

If you're worried about gang bangers, if you're a poor fat white college student like me you have less to fear than a rich upper class party girl. Most violence, aside from strong arm robbery, especially murders are retaliation/revenge shootings, or some fool feeling disrespected. It's usually the male teens or 20 somethings that both shoots and gets shot.

For that matter, who's going to get hurt? Me hunched over another textbook at home, or someone bar hopping?
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Mon May 08, 2017 4:22 am

Know what? I'm feeling generous this morning. Let's give Okee the absurd benefit of doubt that he's talking about incidental shootings - crossfire from other incidents.

If those are not counted as separate crimes, then yes, the risk is greater to civilians in a given area with the same crime rate, and higher population density.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Mon May 08, 2017 12:06 pm

JohnDonne wrote:Yeah but if the city has ten times more stop signs then the risk is spread out the same, just like if there are ten times more potential victims and the rate of crime is the same per capita, the risk of being a victim is spread out the same.
Why do people keep thinking every one criminal = one crime = one victim?

If you're in a building with ten people, you aren't ten times less likely to be harmed when an arsonist burns it down than you would be if you were in a building alone.
GrumpyCatFace wrote:Dumb slut partied too hard and woke up in a weird house. Ran out the door, weeping for her failed life choices, concerned townsfolk notes her appearance and alerted the fuzz.

viewtopic.php?p=60751#p60751

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Mon May 08, 2017 12:07 pm

You are trying to argue math with liberals. They will fixate on some statistic without context and they don't want to think about the context. They think this per capita stat says something useful with respect to what it's like living in a place and, damn it, you can't change their minds with logic.

Pretty much everybody but the two of us bailed from this dumpster fire a few days ago. Maybe we should take note.

JohnDonne

Post by JohnDonne » Mon May 08, 2017 1:02 pm

Okeefenokee wrote:
JohnDonne wrote:Yeah but if the city has ten times more stop signs then the risk is spread out the same, just like if there are ten times more potential victims and the rate of crime is the same per capita, the risk of being a victim is spread out the same.

If you're in a building with ten people, you aren't ten times less likely to be harmed when an arsonist burns it down than you would be if you were in a building alone.
If individual crimes in cities have higher numbers of victims per crime than in the country then of course that would mean there's more risk. This is the first time I've seen you argue that point in this thread.

And yet who's to say it's true? For all I know arson related deaths in cities are insignificant because of other factors, like nearby fire departments, difficulty of arson success because of so many people around, modern alarm and sprinkler systems. If you have a statistic backing up your overall claim that there are more victims per crime in the city I will concede your point, otherwise it's just you saying stuff.

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Mon May 08, 2017 1:16 pm

JohnDonne wrote:
Okeefenokee wrote:

If individual crimes in cities have higher numbers of victims per crime than in the country then of course that would mean there's more risk. This is the first time I've seen you argue that point in this thread.

And yet who's to say it's true? For all I know arson related deaths in cities are insignificant because of other factors, like nearby fire departments, difficulty of arson success because of so many people around, modern alarm and sprinkler systems. If you have a statistic backing up your overall claim that there are more victims per crime in the city I will concede your point, otherwise it's just you saying stuff.
That I'm not arguing. Yes there are other factors. If response times in the city are or were as bad as what I've heard for many years, then the fire department would be to a burning house in the country long before one in the city.

What I was addressing was the notion that having people around you somehow absorbs the crime before it gets to you, but crime can affect multiple people, and often does.

The highest per capita rates of arson seem to be found in cities.
  • 1) Flint
    Population: 102,357
    Total arsons: 287
    Arsons per 100,000 residents: 280
    Percentage of vacant housing units: 26

2) Toledo, Ohio
    Population: 287,418
    Total arsons: 509
    Arsons per 100,000 residents: 177
    Percentage of vacant housing units: 15.6

3) Detroit
    Population: 713,239
    Total arsons: 957
    Arsons per 100,000 residents: 134
    Percentage of vacant housing units: 29.7
I tend to think of arson as a symptom of an ill society. Crime in general is like that too, but to me arson is a little different in that I think of it as being a solely destructive act with no gain, whereas robbing a bank can have a gain.
GrumpyCatFace wrote:Dumb slut partied too hard and woke up in a weird house. Ran out the door, weeping for her failed life choices, concerned townsfolk notes her appearance and alerted the fuzz.

viewtopic.php?p=60751#p60751

Ph64

Post by Ph64 » Mon May 08, 2017 4:40 pm

jbird4049 wrote: Most bears don't want to be near you. Those small? bears are scaredy cats unless you frighten mommy with her baby cubs. Then I just hope you run real well. Same if you startled a hungry grizzly. They are the top of the food chain not you. It's rare, but...
Stay in a group and remember - when you piss that bear off you only have to be faster than the slowest runner in your group. :D
"People don't like to be meddled with. We tell them what to do, what to think, don't run, don't walk. We're in their homes and in their heads and we haven't the right. We're meddlesome."

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Mon May 08, 2017 4:47 pm

Ph64 wrote:
jbird4049 wrote: Most bears don't want to be near you. Those small? bears are scaredy cats unless you frighten mommy with her baby cubs. Then I just hope you run real well. Same if you startled a hungry grizzly. They are the top of the food chain not you. It's rare, but...
Stay in a group and remember - when you piss that bear off you only have to be faster than the slowest runner in your group. :D

Unless the bear likes to shake up his predation strategy every now and again.

jbird4049

Post by jbird4049 » Mon May 08, 2017 5:30 pm

Ph64 wrote:
This is true!
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

Fife

Post by Fife » Tue May 09, 2017 6:49 am

It's a mystery.

:think:

Murder Isn't a Nationwide Problem

The vast majority of murders in the United States occur in just a tiny percentage of counties. In fact, the country can be divided up into three types of places: those where there are no murders; those where there are a few murders; and those where murders are very common.

In 2014, the most recent year that a county level breakdown is available, 54 percent of counties (with 11 percent of the population) had no murders. 69 percent of counties had no more than one murder, and about 20 percent of the population and only 4 percent of all murders in the country.

The worst 1 percent of counties have 19 percent of the population and 37 percent of the murders in 2014. The worst 2 percent of counties contain 47 percent of the population and accounted for 51 percent of the murders. 68 percent of the murders occurred in only 5 percent of counties.