H1B Visa Program Declared Unconstitutional

clubgop

Re: H1B Visa Program Declared Unconstitutional

Post by clubgop » Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:20 pm

Montegriffo wrote:
GrumpyCatFace wrote:I was never a fan of H1B, nor did I defend it anywhere... But I see that my popularity has reached a point where I'm now summoned to any thread, on any topic.. 8-)
You're a legend Image
Only thanks to my wonderful storytelling. You could be the same if only you accept my superior narrative.

jbird4049

Re: H1B Visa Program Declared Unconstitutional

Post by jbird4049 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:25 am

GrumpyCatFace wrote:
Speaker to Animals wrote:No, those are jobs you want to do. If they could totally flood the labor market with H1B visas, the salary would be so low that, like farm workers who no longer want to work in the agriculture industry for shit wages, you wouldn't want to work in the tech industry either.
I've already got a job, and just interviewed for what might be my dream job. I'm not worried about H1B impacting me personally.
It's already pretty evident that you simply can't live in this country on minimum wage, and that field labor will never pay more than that. You have a willing and able workforce dying to get here to fill that role, so I say go for it. But there is NO shortage of tech workers here.
Warning wandering anecdote that actually has a point. :-)

This was way back in the day, but some some was picking fruit for extra money, and working in the canneries that canned it. I know that fruit picking paid starvation wages, but the cannery jobs were livable so long as you didn't mind losing your hearing from the noise. But of course, as soon as free, or nearly free, college arrived they ran very quickly to that.

So what? I don't think farm work has ever paid much. Certainly not more than poverty wages. My family was willing to do it, but as soon as anything that paid actual living wages, they took that, and when opportunities for college, well, from their voices it sounds like a path to paradise had appeared. Of course, now many of those college jobs have a "shortage" of qualified industrious Americans.

I think the problem is us. I think it is that paying shit wages that haven't even kept up with inflation and then importing cheap replacements for Americans, most of who paid for their education and certainly studied, is the problem.

Someone on this thread said that eliminating the visas would not stop the problem because they would find other ways to screw their workers. Probably, but it would be a good start.
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.