Guess Just What Happen

Speaker to Animals

Re: Guess Just What Happen

Post by Speaker to Animals » Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:56 pm

Zlaxer wrote:@TC - you are confusing the TCP/IP stack with the term "Internet".

He's confusing a lot of things, and frantically searching around wikipedia to figure out how to reply, but it's not really worth battling with him. He's kind of like that tar baby in Brer Rabbit.

Zlaxer

Post by Zlaxer » Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:56 pm

I correct myself...IP and IPX are layer 3....I always get confused.... :oops: stupid data link layer...

Zlaxer

Post by Zlaxer » Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:58 pm

The Conservative

Post by The Conservative » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:00 pm

Zlaxer wrote:
The Conservative wrote:
Zlaxer wrote:There are other protocols out there besides IP.....IPX for one....Serial RS232 for another...
Depending on the layer...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_Protocol
:FACEPALM: dude....those are layer 2 protocols ...well expect for Serial RS232....the next layer down, layer 1, would be ethernet....
When you are talking to someone who has dealt with hardware and software protocols... got to be a bit more clear I guess. STAR Protocol, IP, IPX, AppleTalk... how far back do you want to go?
#NotOneRedCent

The Conservative

Post by The Conservative » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:03 pm

Also, transport protocols, UDP, TCP, RPL, MAC... but meh.. what do I know... I don't have the degree, I just have experience. So my answers may not be as "clean or clear cut" as some of the "educated" people here, but I do know what I talk about.
#NotOneRedCent

Zlaxer

Post by Zlaxer » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:03 pm

The Conservative wrote:
Zlaxer wrote:
The Conservative wrote:
Depending on the layer...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_Protocol
:FACEPALM: dude....those are layer 2 protocols ...well expect for Serial RS232....the next layer down, layer 1, would be ethernet....
When you are talking to someone who has dealt with hardware and software protocols... got to be a bit more clear I guess. STAR Protocol, IP, IPX, AppleTalk... how far back do you want to go?

?

My point was is that there is not such thing as "Internet 2.0".....the OSI model is the best way to visualize the internet, or any communication system.....most of the Internet as you know it runs on the TCP/IP stack.....new protocols come out within the TCP/IP stack...but the Internet remains the same - its just a bunch of networks connected to each other...

Zlaxer

Post by Zlaxer » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:08 pm

Isn't TC a CmpSci undergrad?

The Conservative

Post by The Conservative » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:09 pm

Zlaxer wrote:
The Conservative wrote:
Zlaxer wrote:

?

My point was is that there is not such thing as "Internet 2.0".....the OSI model is the best way to visualize the internet, or any communication system.....most of the Internet as you know it runs on the TCP/IP stack.....new protocols come out within the TCP/IP stack...but the Internet remains the same - its just a bunch of networks connected to each other...
Yes, I understand that, but what I am pointing out that as we migrate to the new servers, the older ones may or may not be allowed to play ball... also as I was saying originally the reason for "Internet 2.0" (and if you noticed, I almost always put it in quotations...) is that we were running out of IP addresses... or would be by a set time. It wasn't for speed originally, it was more security based and also to expand the ability of adding more people to "Internet 2.0" without worrying about any form of limitation... for the foreseeable future. Speed was a side effect...

This is the reason I was brining it up, not dealing with protocols, etc... but the reasoning behind why it happened in the first place.
#NotOneRedCent

Zlaxer

Post by Zlaxer » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:11 pm

The Conservative wrote:
Zlaxer wrote:
The Conservative wrote:

?

Yes, I understand that, but what I am pointing out that as we migrate to the new servers, the older ones may or may not be allowed to play ball... also as I was saying originally the reason for "Internet 2.0" (and if you noticed, I almost always put it in quotations...) is that we were running out of IP addresses... or would be by a set time. It wasn't for speed originally, it was more security based and also to expand the ability of adding more people to "Internet 2.0" without worrying about any form of limitation... for the foreseeable future. Speed was a side effect...

This is the reason I was brining it up, not dealing with protocols, etc... but the reasoning behind why it happened in the first place.

You're "Internet 2.0" is IPv6 and has been standard on all NICs and WICs for almost a decade....and we ran out of public class IPv4 addresses a while ago.....

The Conservative

Post by The Conservative » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:12 pm

Zlaxer wrote:Isn't TC a CmpSci undergrad?
Had to leave school because my son was born, my wife was put on bed rest and I had to get a job to be able to feed the family. I never went back... so for now I am as always self taught over most of my knowledge. For now I'm dealing with network securities and issues that old admins from the place I'm working at now left, improving data transportations, VNC connections, VPN, and cloud interaction between Google and MS systems, as well as dealing with about 100TB of loose data no one had backed up...

So yeah... I don't know what I'm talking about, I just do this stuff for a living.
#NotOneRedCent