Guess Just What Happen

Penner

Guess Just What Happen

Post by Penner » Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:10 pm

Congress sent proposed legislation to President Trump on Tuesday that wipes away landmark online privacy protections, the first salvo in what is likely to become a significant reworking of the rules governing Internet access in an era of Republican dominance.

In a party-line vote, House Republicans freed Internet service providers such as Verizon, AT&T and Comcast of protections approved just last year that had sought to limit what companies could do with information such as customer browsing habits, app usage history, location data and Social Security numbers. The rules also had required providers to strengthen safeguards for customer data against hackers and thieves.

The Senate has voted to nullify those measures, which were set to take effect at the end of this year. If Trump signs the legislation as expected, providers will be able to monitor their customers’ behavior online and, without their permission, use their personal and financial information to sell highly targeted ads — making them rivals to Google and Facebook in the $83 billion online advertising market.

The providers could also sell their users’ information directly to marketers, financial firms and other companies that mine personal data — all of whom could use the data without consumers’ consent. In addition, the Federal Communications Commission, which initially drafted the protections, would be forbidden from issuing similar rules in the future.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the ... otections/

TheReal_ND

Re: Guess Just What Happen

Post by TheReal_ND » Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:18 pm

Yeah I posted about that in New Internet Rules. It's even worse than it sounds because effectively they are selling everyone's browsing history to the highest bidder. If it passes your employer will eventually be able to purchase it if they choose to do so.

Wasn't aware it passed the senate. I was sure it would be held back because these stupid fucks didn't include themselves as immune like the U.K. Parliament did when they passed the same legislation a year or so ago.

Penner

Post by Penner » Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:23 pm

TheReal_ND wrote:Yeah I posted about that in New Internet Rules. It's even worse than it sounds because effectively they are selling everyone's browsing history to the highest bidder. If it passes your employer will eventually be able to purchase it if they choose to do so.

Wasn't aware it passed the senate. I was sure it would be held back because these stupid fucks didn't include themselves as immune like the U.K. Parliament did when they passed the same legislation a year or so ago.
You know what, I feel like once people are going to be smart and be buying, the senators' who voted to repeal this privacy rule, internet history (like John Oliver or even the Daily Show I could see doing this just to make fun of the Senators who voted to repeal the privacy rule), they may try to weasel a way to keep their internet history private.

Fucks. What is worse is that basically anyone, I mean anyone can just outright buy someone's internet privacy history now.

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:26 pm

Yeah there was talk about crowd funding their internet history even on 4chan's /pol/. It's a uniformly bipartisan issue. I suspect the senators don't care because ISPs already give them fuck tons of money and won't give up their info to just anyone. Looking square at Ted Cruz right now who has taken a lot of money from ISPs such as Comcast.

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:27 pm

Those rules hadn't even started yet, had they?

p.s. Not that I agree with the overturn but aren't ISPs doing that now?
Shamedia, Shamdemic, Shamucation, Shamlection, Shamconomy & Shamate Change

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:28 pm

Surprise Surprise. Ted Cruz voted with his corporatist buddies. Who could have seen that coming?

Fuck that guy. Deport him back to Canada.

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:31 pm

Martin Hash wrote:Those rules hadn't even started yet, had they?

p.s. Not that I agree with the overturn but aren't ISPs doing that now?
No and yes. Some ISPs are actually fairly militant about not turning over anything without high levels of warrants that the IC can't be bothered with on most cases.

If what Penner posted is true, this cleared the senate and is apparently waiting on Trump's signature. It's moving quickly because it was only a week ago I found out it passed the house.

If Trump signs this he loses his internet shock troopers wether we like it or not. That's really all there is to it.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:37 pm

Another big mistake looms.

Bannon better step up and warn Trump because I don't think Trump really understands what this means.

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:47 pm

Implying we aren't watching the last of our country being sold out....

I swear to god these scum suckers have no morals. Thank god we elected a billionaire. Let's seee if it is any better then the Clintons....

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:49 pm

TheReal_ND wrote:Implying we aren't watching the last of our country being sold out....

I swear to god these scum suckers have no morals. Thank god we elected a billionaire. Let's seee if it is any better then the Clintons....

Maybe we need to take over Ireland.