Haven't been around for a while...

ooky

Haven't been around for a while...

Post by ooky » Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:08 pm

I've been engaged in more irl political action than I ever have been, though.

Very weird to come in here and read narratives that not only is there clear and widespread, and even bipartisan, evidence against, but that is taken as gospel by many who I once thought reasonable. From not reading stuff like heat street and engaging with those here the past couple of months, I am amazed at the vehemence of what I see as pretty delusional counter narratives. And then in response to anything that is not either Trumpian or far-far right, a frequent refrain, "go back to your bubble". Coming in here 2 months cold I've never seen such a bubble as what you generally have going here.

I've been marching (every protest I've been to is full of friendly, real -not paid, passionate and PEACEfUL protestors from all walks of life, btw), calling my elected officials regularly, and heavily supporting organizations that I think are critically important right now. Like PP, the NYT and WA post, ACLU, and programs for homeless children.

I've been sure to inform all my clients that express frustration with environmental regulations and looking to Trump to fix it, that Trump's proposals, hiring freeze, and defunding without actually changing laws are actually making it impossible for federal agencies to meet deadlines and work efficiently with applicants, so it is literally the worst of both worlds for actual projects on the ground.

I'm watching him get co-opted by the GOP status quo with every passing day and showing no shame at all for breaking most of his campaign promises and even central platform ideas. The man I see is terrifyingly incompetent, knows very little about anything that he should, has a staff that is itself either so incompetent or mutinous that they do stuff like allow daily press releases go out referencing scathing parody articles on his cruel budget. Out of only two articles referenced on the release! I'm watching pay-to-play tendencies, conflicts of interest, sloppy handling of classified info, and ethics violations - only the ones we know about-- dwarf anything Clinton was ever involved in. I'm watching the taxpayers foot the bill for an extravagant travel and family business schedule and family that won't move out of New York. I'm watching a guy who has zero respect for objective facts embarrass himself and all of us pretty much each and every day. I'm disgusted with his attacks on the judiciary, press, elections, etc. Even when his broken clock is right twice a day, I feel like he taints issues I care about deeply -like overreach of domestic surveillance.

I could go on, but I honestly don't figure I'll change any minds in this powerful ... bubble. But i noticed that there still are some on who are reasonable, and I did want you all to hear that, after being in despair over bush in 2000 but pretty much on my own in terms of being really concerned, I have never seen such widespread political engagement from such a wide section of the left. We are not whining or ginning up stuff to be upset about or asking for his tax returns to be released for no reason or casting a very critical eye on all the lying about Russia to avoid noticing how much he is "winning". People are truly and deeply unhappy, and it has nothing to do with with what democrat politicians tell us to care about, and right now, a lot of people intend to resist and hold *their* feet to the fire so they will resist too. I guess that makes moments like the other day, when my 6-yo was grabbing my butt and I asked her what she was doing, and she said "Don't worry mommy, I'm not doing it in a bad way like Trump", not wholly horrifying. Anyway, still hope you all are well.

Martin Hash

Re: Haven't been around for a while...

Post by Martin Hash » Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:16 pm

Yikes, ooky, stream-of-consciousness, but I like it.

You, at least, can say you travel from one bubble to another. BTW, all those things that irritate you about Trump, they don't really bother me or his supporters, but you already know that. He wouldn't have won if people hadn't lost trust in their government. And, for the record, many people support the idea of "Trump" (even his name is evocative), if not the man.
Shamedia, Shamdemic, Shamucation, Shamlection, Shamconomy & Shamate Change

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:17 pm

Literally Hitler.

I can't even.
GrumpyCatFace wrote:Dumb slut partied too hard and woke up in a weird house. Ran out the door, weeping for her failed life choices, concerned townsfolk notes her appearance and alerted the fuzz.

viewtopic.php?p=60751#p60751

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:23 pm

This makes me so happy.

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:28 pm

Trump took down a mural in the oval office that was painted using the blood and feces of HIV positive transsexuals. It really sickens me how homophobic and close-minded he is! He has even said that he does not recognize sharia law as legally binding in the United States! Does he not realize this goes against everything Angela Merkel stands for?
Last edited by heydaralon on Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shikata ga nai

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:30 pm

Why do I recognize that name?
GrumpyCatFace wrote:Dumb slut partied too hard and woke up in a weird house. Ran out the door, weeping for her failed life choices, concerned townsfolk notes her appearance and alerted the fuzz.

viewtopic.php?p=60751#p60751

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:05 pm

ooky

Post by ooky » Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:50 pm

Martin Hash wrote:Yikes, ooky, stream-of-consciousness, but I like it.

You, at least, can say you travel from one bubble to another. BTW, all those things that irritate you about Trump, they don't really bother me or his supporters, but you already know that. He wouldn't have won if people hadn't lost trust in their government. And, for the record, many people support the idea of "Trump" (even his name is evocative), if not the man.
Thanks Martin. And yes I do know.

Strange, I'm not crying out like your gif, I'm rocking a serious promotion and raise and my family's lucky enough to be fine. In fact I may really benefit from some of his disgusting policies, personally. My kid is learning about political engagement. But I'd be careful crowing about that victory as if it is the end-all-be-all- did you see the Gallup poll #s that came out today?

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:54 pm

You may as well live in a different country. Lots of people are happy in other parts of the country. Have you considered that the election map might indicate borders between two distinct peoples? And have you perhaps thought of how some of us felt for the past eight years as we were targeted ourselves by the federal government? Payback can suck.

skankhunt42

Post by skankhunt42 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:30 pm

ooky wrote:I've been engaged in more irl political action than I ever have been, though.

Very weird to come in here and read narratives that not only is there clear and widespread, and even bipartisan, evidence against, but that is taken as gospel by many who I once thought reasonable. From not reading stuff like heat street and engaging with those here the past couple of months, I am amazed at the vehemence of what I see as pretty delusional counter narratives. And then in response to anything that is not either Trumpian or far-far right, a frequent refrain, "go back to your bubble". Coming in here 2 months cold I've never seen such a bubble as what you generally have going here.

I've been marching (every protest I've been to is full of friendly, real -not paid, passionate and PEACEfUL protestors from all walks of life, btw), calling my elected officials regularly, and heavily supporting organizations that I think are critically important right now. Like PP, the NYT and WA post, ACLU, and programs for homeless children.

I've been sure to inform all my clients that express frustration with environmental regulations and looking to Trump to fix it, that Trump's proposals, hiring freeze, and defunding without actually changing laws are actually making it impossible for federal agencies to meet deadlines and work efficiently with applicants, so it is literally the worst of both worlds for actual projects on the ground.

I'm watching him get co-opted by the GOP status quo with every passing day and showing no shame at all for breaking most of his campaign promises and even central platform ideas. The man I see is terrifyingly incompetent, knows very little about anything that he should, has a staff that is itself either so incompetent or mutinous that they do stuff like allow daily press releases go out referencing scathing parody articles on his cruel budget. Out of only two articles referenced on the release! I'm watching pay-to-play tendencies, conflicts of interest, sloppy handling of classified info, and ethics violations - only the ones we know about-- dwarf anything Clinton was ever involved in. I'm watching the taxpayers foot the bill for an extravagant travel and family business schedule and family that won't move out of New York. I'm watching a guy who has zero respect for objective facts embarrass himself and all of us pretty much each and every day. I'm disgusted with his attacks on the judiciary, press, elections, etc. Even when his broken clock is right twice a day, I feel like he taints issues I care about deeply -like overreach of domestic surveillance.

I could go on, but I honestly don't figure I'll change any minds in this powerful ... bubble. But i noticed that there still are some on who are reasonable, and I did want you all to hear that, after being in despair over bush in 2000 but pretty much on my own in terms of being really concerned, I have never seen such widespread political engagement from such a wide section of the left. We are not whining or ginning up stuff to be upset about or asking for his tax returns to be released for no reason or casting a very critical eye on all the lying about Russia to avoid noticing how much he is "winning". People are truly and deeply unhappy, and it has nothing to do with with what democrat politicians tell us to care about, and right now, a lot of people intend to resist and hold *their* feet to the fire so they will resist too. I guess that makes moments like the other day, when my 6-yo was grabbing my butt and I asked her what she was doing, and she said "Don't worry mommy, I'm not doing it in a bad way like Trump", not wholly horrifying. Anyway, still hope you all are well.
You know what's an even more powerful bubble, the MSM. I'm very centrist, but what the fuck, Clinton ran a shit campaign. The Democratic party is as fucked up as the Republicans. You guys and gals of the left blew the election way more than the right took it, and you still fail to take responsibility for that. I didn't vote in the last election, but keep marching, I'll vote in the next one and vote against you on the very principal that you're so self absorbed in your own self righteousness that you can even figure out why you lost the fucking election in the first place. Fucking clown shoes. The stove is hot, stop touching it, hint.
"just realize that our Welfare states are also propped up by your Warfare. You're not actually defending us from threats, but you are propping us up by fabricating threats to maintain the Perpetual War." - Smitty