Gene Therapy Cancer Treatment

Lucky1936

Gene Therapy Cancer Treatment

Post by Lucky1936 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:57 pm

One of his patients, 43-year-old Dimas Padilla of Orlando, was driving when he got a call saying his cancer was worsening, chemotherapy was no longer working, and there was no match to enable a second try at a stem cell transplant.

“I actually needed to park … I was thinking how am I going to tell this to my mother, my wife, my children,” he said. But after CAR-T therapy last August, he saw his tumors “shrink like ice cubes” and is now in complete remission.

“They were able to save my life,” Padilla said.
http://news.nationalpost.com/health/can ... =ca2f-3da4
Wow, look at all the smilies!!

apeman

Re: Gene Therapy Cancer Treatment

Post by apeman » Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:58 pm

Wow. I hope this is legit.

BjornP

Post by BjornP » Fri Mar 03, 2017 4:13 pm

Probably fake. News doesn't show up anywhere else, and even a potential cure for cancer..? Yeah, that would headline news everywhere else. So, either entirely fabricated bullshit or just a sprinkle of facts over a massive pile of dung, presented as "Amazing Science News!" on a slow news day.
Fame is not flattery. Respect is not agreement.

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:51 am

Yeah, I've seen at least a dozen 'miracle cures' mentioned, then nothing else.

I'm still on the fence, but not totally opposed to the theory that drug companies would suppress an actual cure, in order to keep manufacturing chemo drugs etc.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

The Conservative

Post by The Conservative » Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:02 pm

#NotOneRedCent

Kazmyr

Post by Kazmyr » Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:00 pm

GrumpyCatFace wrote:Yeah, I've seen at least a dozen 'miracle cures' mentioned, then nothing else.

I'm still on the fence, but not totally opposed to the theory that drug companies would suppress an actual cure, in order to keep manufacturing chemo drugs etc.
I think this has more to do with the fact that media and others will read too much into the results and assume "instant miracle cure!" when further research and trials reveal that it's really not that effective. In like a lion, out like a lamb.

And big pharma isn't 'suppressing' cures, nor are they directly working on funding research into novel oncology treatments. They'd rather just wait, find a company with a really promising drug/biologic in the pipeline, let it go commercial, pay a fuckton of money for the company, and make a fuckton^3 of money.
Martin Hash wrote:Liberty allows people to get their jollies any way they want. Just don't expect to masturbate with my lotion.