Lawyers get in here and discuss New Thing

TheReal_ND

Lawyers get in here and discuss New Thing

Post by TheReal_ND » Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:21 pm

Franken: "If there is any evidence that anyone affiliated with the trump campaign communicated with the Russian government in the course of this campaign, what will you do?"

Sessions :“I’m not aware of any of those activities. I have been called a surrogate at a time or two in that campaign and I did not have communications with the Russians.”
Is he going to jail with Milo the Pedo?

Was what he did even perjury? Would any reasonable court convict him of such charge (would the charge get thrown out way before it got to trial?)

The burden for perjury is pretty high. See for example Bronston v USA, a SCOTUS ruling: "questions made under oath that relayed truthful information in and of themselves but were intended to mislead or evade the examiner could not be prosecuted" (Take note: not that they were not guilty, rather that they couldn't be prosecuted)
Last edited by TheReal_ND on Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JamesK

Re: Lawyers get in here and discuss Sessions

Post by JamesK » Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:50 pm

Lawyer here--not fucking likely.

The falsity determination requires examination of the context in which the allegedly perjurious statement was made (see https://www.justice.gov/usam/criminal-r ... anual-1746). There must also be a specific intent to deceive (https://www.justice.gov/usam/criminal-r ... fic-intent), so unless you can prove Jeff Red-Fucking-Blooded Sessions had bad faith and was specifically intending to lie about all his nefarious dealings with the Ruskies, then no perjury.

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:55 pm

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:00 pm

His meetings were probably public record too. The ambassador has to sign in, stating who he is seeing. Each senator keeps records of who visits them as well.

This new fake news story doesn't even stand up to scrutiny in terms of self-consistency.

adwinistrator

Post by adwinistrator » Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:09 pm

There's no perjury going on like some people are talking about, in the legal sense. You'd have to prove intent, which is near impossible.

Sessions did recuse himself from the investigations into the Trump administration's ties to Russia, so the DoJ and Trump administration obviously understand the implications.

Reports that he spoke twice with Russian Ambassador Sergei Kislyak during the election are factual.

I have no doubt there will be a special council appointed do deal with the ongoing investigation, since both the HPSCI and SSCI are dealing with partisan complications regarding their oversight roles.

ssu

Post by ssu » Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:19 pm

Sessions recused himself, hence that at least gives on step to the dems pushing for an independent investigation on the subject. Sessions is out of this.

Sessions isn't the target here, Kushner and Flynn are. So the Democrats hope to show that it wasn't sarcasm when Trump asked the Russians to find the Clinton emails.

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:21 pm

Recuse yourself Hill shill.

JamesK

Post by JamesK » Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:25 pm

Honestly, this "RUSSIA!!!!!" shit has become dull as hell. Fake news should at least be entertaining.

And does anyone think for one second that Generation Z/anyone under 30 gives the slightest shit about The Grand Russian Conspiracy? This whole narrative just reeks of sad Boomer tears, desperately trying to hold onto relevancy in a world that has left them behind.

"Little Johnny, what's a me-me?"

de officiis

Post by de officiis » Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:32 pm

JamesK wrote:Honestly, this "RUSSIA!!!!!" shit has become dull as hell. Fake news should at least be entertaining.

And does anyone think for one second that Generation Z/anyone under 30 gives the slightest shit about The Grand Russian Conspiracy? This whole narrative just reeks of sad Boomer tears, desperately trying to hold onto relevancy in a world that has left them behind.

Yeah, there's definitely a feel of Jinned-up, Yesteday's News to the whole thing.

ssu

Post by ssu » Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:48 pm

de officiis wrote:
JamesK wrote:Honestly, this "RUSSIA!!!!!" shit has become dull as hell. Fake news should at least be entertaining.

Yeah, there's definitely a feel of Jinned-up, Yesteday's News to the whole thing.
As dull as shifting through emails and looking if they were classified or not?

Nope, that was even more dull.