2020 election

brewster

Re: 2020 election

Post by brewster » Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:50 pm

Montegriffo wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:23 pm
[
Maybe there is room for modern technology and materials to be applied to new designs of steam power but unless they are electric you are still burning carbon.
I would assume that a modern design would simply kick the crap out of hundred-year-old designs. And it would be carbon neutral if it's burning anything that grows. I was thinking corn cobs probably be a pretty good steam fuel.

As for letting the market decide between fossil fuels and renewables, that would be fine if the the externalities of burning fossil fuels were charged back to them. As it is, their polluting is as free as it was for old-time industries dumping their toxic waste in the river or in the lot out back. My city is full of toxic brownfields from companies that were very profitable as long as they didn't have to actually deal with their waste in a responsible way. With the exception of the American right, most people on Earth believes that carbon dioxide is a pollutant.
We are only accustomed to dealing with like twenty online personas at a time so when we only have about ten people some people have to be strawmanned in order to advance our same relative go nowhere nonsense positions. -TheReal_ND

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:02 pm

Montegriffo wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:40 pm
C-Mag wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:31 pm
This is how I roll.
1958 Ford 641 Workmaster
49 hp
Very nice, is that yours or a google image?
No (that's what I'm going for)
It's in fantastic mechanical shape, fires up by just bumping the starter.
Converted it to 12v already, which really helped. Replaced hydraulic hoses on the bucket and fixed all my hydraulic leaks.

It will get torn down to the power plant and restored. :pray:
My next two tasks are a snow plow blade and going through the brakes. I need to buy some tire chains too. Last Spring I jerry rigged it by splicing two pickup tire chains together on each rear driver.
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:03 pm

brewster wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:50 pm
Montegriffo wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:23 pm
[
Maybe there is room for modern technology and materials to be applied to new designs of steam power but unless they are electric you are still burning carbon.
I would assume that a modern design would simply kick the crap out of hundred-year-old designs. And it would be carbon neutral if it's burning anything that grows. I was thinking corn cobs probably be a pretty good steam fuel.

As for letting the market decide between fossil fuels and renewables, that would be fine if the the externalities of burning fossil fuels were charged back to them. As it is, their polluting is as free as it was for old-time industries dumping their toxic waste in the river or in the lot out back. My city is full of toxic brownfields from companies that were very profitable as long as they didn't have to actually deal with their waste in a responsible way. With the exception of the American right, most people on Earth believes that carbon dioxide is a pollutant.
It certainly would make renewable energy more competitive if carbon emissions were charged at source. It would make solar panels and wind turbines more expensive to buy as well but at least it would be a one time only cost.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:13 pm

C-Mag wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:02 pm
Montegriffo wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:40 pm
C-Mag wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:31 pm
This is how I roll.
1958 Ford 641 Workmaster
49 hp
Very nice, is that yours or a google image?
No (that's what I'm going for)
It's in fantastic mechanical shape, fires up by just bumping the starter.
Converted it to 12v already, which really helped. Replaced hydraulic hoses on the bucket and fixed all my hydraulic leaks.

It will get torn down to the power plant and restored. :pray:
My next two tasks are a snow plow blade and going through the brakes. I need to buy some tire chains too. Last Spring I jerry rigged it by splicing two pickup tire chains together on each rear driver.
Bucket must be useful for all sorts of jobs around a smallholding.
The one in the picture looks far too clean anyway. Obviously a show model that doesn't get used for work anymore.
All the tractors around here are tatty AF.
Couple of David Browns do the majority of the work with an old Fordson Dexta with a pulley wheel for driving the thresher and the wheat grinder, There's another old one with a bucket parked next to my truck but it isn't needed since they bought an old teleporter a couple of years ago. A Claas combine from the 60's does the harvest (apart from the thatching straw).
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

brewster

Post by brewster » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:23 pm

Went down the rabbit hole and started reading about modern steam. Lots of work has been done to address Monte's issues. This one has promise, imagine that e-tractor as a steam hybrid! from wiki:

Since 2012, a French company, EXOES, is selling to industrial firms a Rankine Cycle, patented, engine, which is designed to work with many fuels such as concentrated solar power, biomass, or fossil. The system, called "SHAPE" for Sustainable Heat And Power Engine, converts the heat into electricity. The SHAPE engine is suitable for embedded, and stationary, applications. A SHAPE engine has been integrated into a biomass boiler, and into a Concentrated solar power system. The company is planning to work with automobile manufactures, long-haul truck manufactures, and railway corporations.[20]
We are only accustomed to dealing with like twenty online personas at a time so when we only have about ten people some people have to be strawmanned in order to advance our same relative go nowhere nonsense positions. -TheReal_ND

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:47 am

Montegriffo wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:13 pm

Bucket must be useful for all sorts of jobs around a smallholding.
The one in the picture looks far too clean anyway. Obviously a show model that doesn't get used for work anymore.
All the tractors around here are tatty AF.
Couple of David Browns do the majority of the work with an old Fordson Dexta with a pulley wheel for driving the thresher and the wheat grinder, There's another old one with a bucket parked next to my truck but it isn't needed since they bought an old teleporter a couple of years ago. A Claas combine from the 60's does the harvest (apart from the thatching straw).
The bucket is great. I can lift a good thousand pounds with it. I have the wheel weights, which total a ton and give me lots of traction. I have a single bottom plow, a disk and a rock rake. I need to get a tiller and a post hole digger. A sickle bar mower would be great too. But a little at a time. I'm a cheap bastard so I just keep looking for good deals. The tractor I got for $3500. A new Kubota with comparable power would be $20k.

A belt pulley would be a nice addition. Lot's of ways to use a mobile power plant. This little tractor was quite the improvement to farming when it was introduced in the early 50s. I'm posting the promotional video for it below.

Mine looks about like this
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

The Conservative

Post by The Conservative » Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:17 am

Montegriffo wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:16 pm
The Conservative wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:03 pm
Montegriffo wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:39 pm
John Deere has a tractor ready to hit the farms by next year.

Farms have the land for wind generators and solar panels too.
In the good old days, up to 1/5th of the land was used to grow fodder for the plough horses so it would probably be more efficient than that or growing biofuels.
Lots of big shed roofs so you wouldn't necessarily need to lose much land at all.
Four fucking hours? Are you insane? No one in their right mind will buy that.
For many jobs around a farm 4 hrs is plenty.
The tractors here rarely do more than 4 hrs work in a single session.
Plus, that's a standard John Deere converted to electric. It's just the start.
Not around here. Farmers still have dozens upon dozens of acres. In some cases a hundred+ for the oldest farms Around here, and if you think 4 hours of work is all a tractor gets, you must be on something good.

They spend 4 hours to do a single crop up here. And they have dozens of crops growing seasonally.

These tractors are for people that don't care about a profit and live off subsidies. It may be the future, but it's way too soon...
#NotOneRedCent

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:24 am

Ok Mr doom and gloom.

Ph64

Post by Ph64 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:29 am

The Conservative wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:17 am
Montegriffo wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:16 pm
The Conservative wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:03 pm

Four fucking hours? Are you insane? No one in their right mind will buy that.
For many jobs around a farm 4 hrs is plenty.
The tractors here rarely do more than 4 hrs work in a single session.
Plus, that's a standard John Deere converted to electric. It's just the start.
Not around here. Farmers still have dozens upon dozens of acres. In some cases a hundred+ for the oldest farms Around here, and if you think 4 hours of work is all a tractor gets, you must be on something good.

They spend 4 hours to do a single crop up here. And they have dozens of crops growing seasonally.

These tractors are for people that don't care about a profit and live off subsidies. It may be the future, but it's way too soon...
4 hour runtime between charges.
...and every 5-8 years (max) you're gonna have to spend $thousands replacing the entire battery pack with a whole new set - and they'll probably force you to buy their batteries (@ a premium).

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:44 am

Them new fangled cars, they'll never replace the horse. They only go 5 miles an hour, they break down all the time and they are so expensive. We don't have the nice smooth roads that they need to drive on and where are they going to buy the gas they run on? It's only a by-product of lamp oil there'll never be enough of it. I'm sticking with my horse and I'm going to dismiss anyone I see arguing for them.