2020 election

Montegriffo

Re: 2020 election

Post by Montegriffo » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:05 pm

Yeah, that's getting there. Ideal for cities where the smaller the better.
Imagine how clean and quiet cities would be if everyone drove those.
Helps dispell the myth that China is doing nothing so why should we?
No need for fancy lithium batteries if you are only doing 20 or 30 miles a day.
Give them their own traffic lanes too to help incentivise drivers. Nothing worse than being stuck in a jam while the lane beside you is flowing smoothly.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:15 pm

pineapplemike wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:37 pm
Speaker to Animals wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:52 pm
That's kind of a bad argument.

You still have those plastic costs buying any alternative vehicle to the EV. It's a sunk cost in petrochemicals, but it's fixed, and it's universal (so it doesn't really make a distinction between gas and electric vehicles). Yet the EVs don't necessarily consume any oil in order to drive, whereas gas vehicles consume large quantities of gas and oil each year.

Where you might have an edge on them is if the utility power used to produce electricity that charges the EV is run on coal or natural gas. If it's nuclear power, then no, they come out ahead in terms of impact on environment.
i take your point i were merely responding to the "ban oil and gas" crowd, wherever they may be
Would it help to think of them as the ''phase-out oil and gas'' crowd?
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

pineapplemike

Post by pineapplemike » Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:12 pm

moreso the 'we dont understand how essential oil and gas are to modern civilization' crowd, we aren't quite in the futuristic utopia fantasy these people seem to think we are

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:37 pm

Montegriffo wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:13 am
Recognise them as extremists and ignore.
Problem is the AGW crowd mainlined extremism quite awhile ago.

I'd say around the time they started using religious language to paint skeptics as apostates.
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

The Conservative

Post by The Conservative » Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:03 pm

Montegriffo wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:39 pm
John Deere has a tractor ready to hit the farms by next year.

Farms have the land for wind generators and solar panels too.
In the good old days, up to 1/5th of the land was used to grow fodder for the plough horses so it would probably be more efficient than that or growing biofuels.
Lots of big shed roofs so you wouldn't necessarily need to lose much land at all.
Four fucking hours? Are you insane? No one in their right mind will buy that.
#NotOneRedCent

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:10 pm

pineapplemike wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:12 pm
moreso the 'we dont understand how essential oil and gas are to modern civilization' crowd, we aren't quite in the futuristic utopia fantasy these people seem to think we are
Sure, but do we work towards phasing them out or stick our heads in the sand?

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:16 pm

The Conservative wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:03 pm
Montegriffo wrote:

In the good old days, up to 1/5th of the land was used to grow fodder for the plough horses so it would probably be more efficient than that or growing biofuels.
Lots of big shed roofs so you wouldn't necessarily need to lose much land at all.
For many jobs around a farm 4 hrs is plenty.
The tractors here rarely do more than 4 hrs work in a single session.
Plus, that's a standard John Deere converted to electric. It's just the start.

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:24 pm

Montegriffo wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:16 pm
The Conservative wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:03 pm
Montegriffo wrote:

For many jobs around a farm 4 hrs is plenty.
The tractors here rarely do more than 4 hrs work in a single session.
Plus, that's a standard John Deere converted to electric. It's just the start.
Buy one.
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:38 pm

Don't often have much use for one as a chef.
I'm sure farmer Paul would love one to go with his large wind generator, however he doesn't have that sort of money. His most modern tractor is nearly 40 years old.
They are the future of farming though, would be so much quieter around here if he could go electric and his fuel costs would be next to zero.
Electric motors are also so much simpler and easier to maintain.
My hedge trimmer, chainsaw and brush cutter are all electric. I'd never buy another petrol one, I've got well over 100m of cable so can reach every part of my garden in France.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:05 pm

None of the farmers I know would buy something like that. There are, however, a huge number of farms that operate at a loss, and they are more philosophical/religious ventures than anything else. They usually get funding in other ways than the market. It's most likely meant for operations like that. I could see somebody wanting this who is running a NFP farm that is meant to showcase possible ways of environmentally friendly agriculture or something along those lines, and get donations and funding through grants.

Most profitable farmers are so fucking cheap it's really off the charts. You can have a guy who is essentially a millionaire out in the Midwest and he drives a 30 year old truck and would never buy something like this. You have to look at the bottom line at all times, not your feelz.