2020 election

C-Mag

Re: 2020 election

Post by C-Mag » Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:22 pm

That rally tonight was probably the most excited political crowd I've ever seen. Bigger than early BHO.

The crowd enthusiasm seemed to matter in 2016
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

pineapplemike

Post by pineapplemike » Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:11 pm

Biden not apologizing for remarks on segregationist senators
https://apnews.com/5b57473cfcda44e4b35c8a40759a26fc

Joe Biden refused to back down Wednesday amid a torrent of criticism from rival Democratic presidential hopefuls for saying the Senate “got things done” with “civility” even when the body included segregationists.

Speaking at a New York fundraiser Tuesday, he pointed to long-dead segregationist senators James Eastland of Mississippi and Herman Talmadge of Georgia to argue that Washington functioned more smoothly a generation ago than under today’s “broken” hyperpartisanship.

“We didn’t agree on much of anything,” Biden said of the two men, who were prominent senators when Biden was elected in 1972. Biden described Talmadge as “one of the meanest guys I ever knew” and said Eastland called him “son,” though not “boy,” a reference to the racist way many whites addressed black men at the time.

Yet even in that Senate, Biden said, “At least there was some civility. We got things done.”

The comments quickly sparked one of the most intense disputes of the Democratic presidential primary, underscoring the hazards for Biden as he tries to turn his decades of Washington experience into an advantage. Instead, he’s infuriating Democrats who say he’s out of step with the diverse party of the 21st century.

Sen. Cory Booker, one of two major black candidates seeking the Democratic nomination, said he was “disappointed” and called on Biden to apologize.

“I have to tell Vice President Biden, as someone I respect, that he is wrong for using his relationships with Eastland and Talmadge as examples of how to bring our country together,” the New Jersey Democrat said in a statement that was especially notable coming from a candidate who entered the 2020 contest vowing to highlight “the best of who we are and not the worst.”

Asked Wednesday by reporters whether he would be apologizing, as Booker had suggested, Biden said, “Apologize for what?” He then said: “Cory should apologize. He should know better. There’s not a racist bone in my body. I’ve been involved in civil rights my whole career.”

Biden said his Tuesday remarks were about getting the Voting Rights Act passed.

“The point I’m making is you don’t have to agree. You don’t have to like the people in terms of their views,” he said Wednesday. “But you just simply make the case and you beat them without changing the system.”

Booker wasn’t the only 2020 candidate who criticized Biden.
fun times for biden, this is getting entertaining, bring on the debates

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:51 pm

If this is all the Demohacks got, Biden gonna cruise to victory, they best step their game up, reach city.
*yip*

Ex-California

Post by Ex-California » Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:10 am

pineapplemike wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:11 pm
Biden not apologizing for remarks on segregationist senators
https://apnews.com/5b57473cfcda44e4b35c8a40759a26fc

Joe Biden refused to back down Wednesday amid a torrent of criticism from rival Democratic presidential hopefuls for saying the Senate “got things done” with “civility” even when the body included segregationists.

Speaking at a New York fundraiser Tuesday, he pointed to long-dead segregationist senators James Eastland of Mississippi and Herman Talmadge of Georgia to argue that Washington functioned more smoothly a generation ago than under today’s “broken” hyperpartisanship.

“We didn’t agree on much of anything,” Biden said of the two men, who were prominent senators when Biden was elected in 1972. Biden described Talmadge as “one of the meanest guys I ever knew” and said Eastland called him “son,” though not “boy,” a reference to the racist way many whites addressed black men at the time.

Yet even in that Senate, Biden said, “At least there was some civility. We got things done.”

The comments quickly sparked one of the most intense disputes of the Democratic presidential primary, underscoring the hazards for Biden as he tries to turn his decades of Washington experience into an advantage. Instead, he’s infuriating Democrats who say he’s out of step with the diverse party of the 21st century.

Sen. Cory Booker, one of two major black candidates seeking the Democratic nomination, said he was “disappointed” and called on Biden to apologize.

“I have to tell Vice President Biden, as someone I respect, that he is wrong for using his relationships with Eastland and Talmadge as examples of how to bring our country together,” the New Jersey Democrat said in a statement that was especially notable coming from a candidate who entered the 2020 contest vowing to highlight “the best of who we are and not the worst.”

Asked Wednesday by reporters whether he would be apologizing, as Booker had suggested, Biden said, “Apologize for what?” He then said: “Cory should apologize. He should know better. There’s not a racist bone in my body. I’ve been involved in civil rights my whole career.”

Biden said his Tuesday remarks were about getting the Voting Rights Act passed.

“The point I’m making is you don’t have to agree. You don’t have to like the people in terms of their views,” he said Wednesday. “But you just simply make the case and you beat them without changing the system.”

Booker wasn’t the only 2020 candidate who criticized Biden.
fun times for biden, this is getting entertaining, bring on the debates
That exchange actually makes me like him

And he's going to cure cancer so we've got that going for us
No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:57 am

Biden actually playing it really well, more of this, less pandering to the far left crazies. The far left crazies are simply mad he would compromise with anyone he doesn't agree with 100%, they want an obstructionist who will never compromise with with republicans. You can't cave to that level of extremism when you are running in the moderate lane, and he's not, smart move.
*yip*

Fife

Post by Fife » Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:23 am

It won't be long now.

Politico: Grampa Simpson runs for president

The concern, as articulated by his Democratic rivals and a wave of harsh online commentary, is that Biden sees contemporary America through a distorting haze of nostalgia.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:18 am

clubgop

Post by clubgop » Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:40 am

StCapps wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:57 am
Biden actually playing it really well, more of this, less pandering to the far left crazies. The far left crazies are simply mad he would compromise with anyone he doesn't agree with 100%, they want an obstructionist who will never compromise with with republicans. You can't cave to that level of extremism when you are running in the moderate lane, and he's not, smart move.
Average dem right now "segregation is ok, when we do it."

Dude, this is a gaffe.

Voters:

Biden: "Even segregationist Democrats are better than Republicans."
:lol:

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:04 am

clubgop wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:40 am
StCapps wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:57 am
Average dem right now "segregation is ok, when we do it."

Dude, this is a gaffe.

Voters:

Biden: "Even segregationist Democrats are better than Republicans."
:lol:
It's not a gaffe, it's Biden haters reaching for a gaffe.
*yip*

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:10 am

They also went for the jugular with his son yesterday. Seems like the DNC establishment wants him out of there. I think they are backing Harris. They need to get rid of Biden to ensure the establishment wins the primary over the outsiders.