ARE WE LIVING IN A COMPUTER SIMULATION?

SilverEagle

ARE WE LIVING IN A COMPUTER SIMULATION?

Post by SilverEagle » Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:57 am

I've often thought about this in recent years. :think:
There may be not merely a glitch in the Matrix. There may be a Loki, a prankster, suddenly running it. After all, the same kind of thing seemed to happen on Election Day: the program was all set, and then some mischievous overlord—whether alien or artificial intelligence doesn’t matter—said, “Well, what if he did win? How would they react?” “You can’t do that to them,” the wiser, older Architect said. “Oh, c’mon,” the kid said. “It’ll be funny. Let’s see what they do!” And then it happened. We seem to be living within a kind of adolescent rebellion on the part of the controllers of the video game we’re trapped in, who are doing this for their strange idea of fun.
http://www.newyorker.com/culture/cultur ... simulation
Last edited by SilverEagle on Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
There is a time for good men to do bad things.

For fuck sake, 1984 is NOT an instruction manual!

:character-bowser: __________ :character-mario: :character-luigi:

Speaker to Animals

Re: ARE LIVING IN A COMPUTER SIMULATION?

Post by Speaker to Animals » Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:00 am

Am I going to get AIDS clicking on this link to The New Yorker?

SilverEagle

Post by SilverEagle » Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:02 am

Speaker to Animals wrote:Am I going to get AIDS clicking on this link to The New Yorker?
Lol. Digital AIDS maybe.
There is a time for good men to do bad things.

For fuck sake, 1984 is NOT an instruction manual!

:character-bowser: __________ :character-mario: :character-luigi:

PartyOf5

Post by PartyOf5 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:10 am

Is this some new Democrat coping theory? :lol:

Xenophon

Post by Xenophon » Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:31 am

PartyOf5 wrote:Is this some new Democrat coping theory? :lol:
It's one of two things, either the Democrats are so out of touch with reality they're grasping at straws to hold their worldview together:

"Things didn't go our way, what happened? We were the good guys! We can't possibly be out of touch! Oh, I know. IT WAS ALL A DREAM."

Or more likely:

"Hmm, I have to write a piece in order to justify my paycheck. Oh, I know. I'll write another Trump hit piece and tie it in with a crackpot theory to get the technocrats on board. Cha-ching!"

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:36 am

Xenophon wrote:
PartyOf5 wrote:Is this some new Democrat coping theory? :lol:
It's one of two things, either the Democrats are so out of touch with reality they're grasping at straws to hold their worldview together:

"Things didn't go our way, what happened? We were the good guys! We can't possibly be out of touch! Oh, I know. IT WAS ALL A DREAM."

Or more likely:

"Hmm, I have to write a piece in order to justify my paycheck. Oh, I know. I'll write another Trump hit piece and tie it in with a crackpot theory to get the technocrats on board. Cha-ching!"

Might possibly be the latter.

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:26 am

For me, The 1984 Apple Commercial best captures what has happened to the Establishment since BREXIT.
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

Penner

Re: ARE WE LIVING IN A COMPUTER SIMULATION?

Post by Penner » Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:31 pm

You know that this whole, "our universe might be a really advance simulation" came from philosophy and not actual science. This is more of the case of a thought experiment about what is real vs. what is not real and how do we know, etc...

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:02 pm

Penner wrote:You know that this whole, "our universe might be a really advance simulation" came from philosophy and not actual science. This is more of the case of a thought experiment about what is real vs. what is not real and how do we know, etc...
Well, it was proposed by a scientist I believe, and has gotten a lot of scientific attention.

No way to disprove it really.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:34 pm

There exist some very good reasons to claim it's not at all a simulation. For one, if it were a simulation, you should be able to detect that fact. You have to look at it from a theoretical CS point of view.

For instance, we can't really simulate our own universe. A simulating universe has to be quite a lot larger than the simulated universe in order to host the computer that runs the simulation, for example. Inside the simulation, there will be tell-tale signs that everything is computational. Granted, we simply might be unable to detect this yet, but then again, some of the nondeterminism inherent in our universe indicates that it's not the case.

For instance, some of the problems that would have to be solved in order to run a universe simulation are among the hardest classes of problems, such as NP-Complete and harder. Even the problem of computing orbital mechanics of every object in a star system is PSPACE complexity. But consider the n-body problem has to be solved for every star system and every galaxy and every galactic cluster and every group and so on. All of these things would be computed simultaneously. The actual universe in which we would live, the one containing our simulation, would have to be orders of magnitude larger than this one, and most of it converted to a computer.

Evidence in support of it would be the little details like how subatomic particles can only be pinned down to an orbit after they are observed. Spin of electrons can only be determined after observation. That might belie a kind of design pattern we use in our own software whereby we delay calculation until the calculation is actually needed. If I were to design a very large simulation, I would use a principle like this.